Hard To Shift From "p" To "r" During First Start U

ac7228

I have a 01 RX300 AWD and it's parked inside a garage. Right when I start it up and attempt to shift from "P" to "R", it seems to take more effort to move the shifter out of "P" when started up for the first time in the morning.

Is this a sign of the infamous transmission problem?

Please let me know as I am very worried.

Thanks in advance for your replies and comments.

I have a 01 RX300 AWD and it's parked inside a garage. Right when I start it up and attempt to shift from "P" to "R", it seems to take more effort to move the shifter out of "P" when started up for the first time in the morning.

Is this a sign of the infamous transmission problem?

Please let me know as I am very worried.

Thanks in advance for your replies and comments.

I'm glad you asked this, as our '02 AWD does the same thing, but only when we park it at my stepson's house, and their driveway is sloped just a bit. We back it in, so they can get in/out of the driveway. It doesn't happen every time, seems to be worse when it's either damp or cold. If it's both, it remains difficult to move to any gear for a few minutes, then it's fine.

Odd.

It's a linkage thing, but I haven't a clue as to what's happening.

Thanks to Audi's unintended acceleration episode there is now an electrical "lock-out" solenoid that prevents you from shifting from park absent having foot pressure on the brake pedal. The brake pedal switch may be slightly maladjusted so it takes an unusual level of brake pedal pressure, or the solenoid (COLD??) itself may be sticking slightly.

Also, if you happen to try to move the shifter slightly before stepping on the brake pedal you may inadvertently put the solenoid plunger in a bind and now you must release the pressure on the shifter for the plunger to move to the unlock position.

It is oftentimes good practice to step on the brake pedal firmly and then hesitate momentarily, 1001.., before moving the shifter from park.

Thanks to Audi's unintended acceleration episode there is now an electrical "lock-out" solenoid that prevents you from shifting from park absent having foot pressure on the brake pedal. The brake pedal switch may be slightly maladjusted so it takes an unusual level of brake pedal pressure, or the solenoid (COLD??) itself may be sticking slightly.

Also, if you happen to try to move the shifter slightly before stepping on the brake pedal you may inadvertently put the solenoid plunger in a bind and now you must release the pressure on the shifter for the plunger to move to the unlock position.

It is oftentimes good practice to step on the brake pedal firmly and then hesitate momentarily, 1001.., before moving the shifter from park.

Yeah...thanks a bunch, Audi...and morons everywhere. I hate this feature. I've gotten in the habit of always doing it fairly forcefully, but ours still feels sticky after it's in gear. Not for long, as if whatever it is needs to warm up maybe two minutes before it's okay.

Next time, I'll stay parked and time how long it takes...after I give the solenoid thingy a good second. I thought it was mechanical, 'cause if you hold the 'button' down under the top-left of the shift lever, it'll shift outta park regardless of whether there is a key in the ignition or the brake on. This is why I've not wedged it down, permanently.

Yeah...thanks a bunch, Audi...and morons everywhere. I hate this feature. I've gotten in the habit of always doing it fairly forcefully, but ours still feels sticky after it's in gear. Not for long, as if whatever it is needs to warm up maybe two minutes before it's okay.

Next time, I'll stay parked and time how long it takes...after I give the solenoid thingy a good second. I thought it was mechanical, 'cause if you hold the 'button' down under the top-left of the shift lever, it'll shift outta park regardless of whether there is a key in the ignition or the brake on. This is why I've not wedged it down, permanently.

That "button" is simply a method for manually actuating the electrical solenoid plunger.

I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be a sign of the infamous tranmission problem. I was just so worried about the transmission as my RX300 has 75K miles now.

The transmission fluid has been changed twice already at the dealer so I'm crossing my fingers that my transmission will not give me any problems.

I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be a sign of the infamous tranmission problem. I was just so worried about the transmission as my RX300 has 75K miles now.

The transmission fluid has been changed twice already at the dealer so I'm crossing my fingers that my transmission will not give me any problems.

Another thing that could cause binding of the shift lever is that when parking on an incline and not putting the parking brake on before putting the transmission into park can cause an excessive load on the parking lock inside the transmission making it hard or impossible to move the shifter.

It is good practice to always put the parking brake on before putting it into park.

Karl

Another thing that could cause binding of the shift lever is that when parking on an incline and not putting the parking brake on before putting the transmission into park can cause an excessive load on the parking lock inside the transmission making it hard or impossible to move the shifter.

It is good practice to always put the parking brake on before putting it into park.

Karl

In my case, that's not is. I set the e-brake if there is the slightest incline...owning a 5300 lb. 2-door GM from the early-70's will teach you this the first time you don't do it.

Plus, mine is still molasses-like in R through 1, or whatever the lowest gear selectable is.