Ls400 Computer

alon

Hi guys,

I have a 93 ls400 with 66000 miles. it started giving me problems by periodically not starting. I found the battery dead. After recharge, it ran great. After about 3 times, it started running poorly as weell. it could barely get up to 60 mph. next day, no more than about 10 mph. next day, it would not even stay running. I took it to a mechanic who thinks it's the computer. I am trying to find a replacement but the part numbers of available computers are always just a little different. My computer # is 89661-50141 but I can find only 89661-50140 or ...50142. Does anyone know if the problem described sounds like a bad computer? If so, are the different #s compatible?

Thanks,

Alon

I don't know about the #'s. But starting off with the ECM is overkill. I'd look at a new battery. At least re-charge the old one and see if it has the problem again. You can re-set the ECM by removing the neg battery cable. for >90 secs. Just be sure to have your stereo code to re-set it if it is set for anti-theft.

If it gets up and running use some seafoam in 1/4 tank of gas a few times to help clean the fuel system. Clean the throttle body, ect. Tune-up plugs caps roters, wires and two new coils prob around 400.00 for parts. If you don't know if these have been done in the recent past. Then with or without the new ECM you still will be glad that you replaced them.

Good luck and welcome to LOC

Thanks walt for the quick reply. All your suggestions are valid and have been tried. The car went through a complete tune up about three months ago and prior to this failure a few days ago, it ran like a top. So I tend to believe that there is a failure of a component rather than normal ware. The battery is brand new and its drainage seems like it may be connected to the problem. Maybe the ECU controls the charging??? I am not sure. My biggest problem, i think, is that i live out in the country and out here, if "it ain't a Dodge, it ain't sh...." So my lack of knowledge combined with the machanics around=dead car. Thanks again.

I am trying to find a replacement but the part numbers of available computers are always just a little different. My computer # is 89661-50141 but I can find only 89661-50140 or ...50142. Does anyone know if the problem described sounds like a bad computer? If so, are the different #s compatible?

Thanks,

Alon

I can't find a reference, but when I was dealing with this I recall that 50141 was for California models while 50140 was for the other 49 states. 50142 was the 49 state model ECM for a '94. A local rebulder said all 3 showed to work in a '94. My ECM symptom was acceleration was only possible while keeping under 2000 RPM or it would stumble until you let off on the throttle. Caps had leaked and eaten through board coating down to traces. Rebuilt ECU cured problem. A couple months later it wouldn't hardly move under its own power and the cats were getting red hot. Turned out to be a bad coil (driver's side).

All Japanese ECM's from this era used electrolytic capacitors that leak over time and cause an array of drivability problems. Av-Pro is highly respected in the 3000GT/Stealth community for their helpfulness and professional service. You might try calling them to see if they can help.

Yes, I live in Ky and know what you mean. It could be the ECM Have you had the failure codes checked? I am just trying to think of the less expensive route. Have you read the post " drinking gas and barely moves " ? just below your post. Turned out to be the coil. A lot of people felt that it could of been failing/clogged CATS.

I am working on a hesitation on rapid acceleration problem and fear that it is my ECM also. But I am in denial because of the price. Good luck!

So now the plot thickens. It seems that the car will start and run pretty well if I hold the key in the start position. As soon as I release the key to the ON position, the car will barely idle and when I depress the accelarator, it dies. Ignition swtch???

I opened the case of the computer and nothing seems to be amiss. No leaks, burns, dicolorations, etc....