Steering Wheel Sound

PDT

I have a 2001 LS430. When I turn my car off, and the steering wheel starts to automatically move in (i.e. away from me), it makes kind of a rough sound. Any idea on what causes this and how to repair it. Thanks.

The steering mechanism tilt and retract has a plastic gear set. These have been known to get out of alignment due to ........shall I say....a design flaw.

DO a search on 'tilt steering column' or similar and you should find a thread showing a fix. A well done tutorial if I remember correctly.....basically involving a shim....and re-lubing....

I have a 2001 LS430. When I turn my car off, and the steering wheel starts to automatically move in (i.e. away from me), it makes kind of a rough sound. Any idea on what causes this and how to repair it. Thanks.

I've noticed the same noise when it's very hot......or very cold outside, so i assumed it to be common. silicone lubricant on the plastic gear mentioned did the trick

I've noticed the same noise when it's very hot......or very cold outside, so i assumed it to be common. silicone lubricant on the plastic gear mentioned did the trick

Thanks. How do I get to the plastic gear to put the silicone lubricant on it.