Thinking Of The Is

Chillout

Hi I live in upstate NY and considering buying an IS300. I was wondering if I there is anything I should pay special attention too while looking, probs, better or worse, anything. I really don't see too many Lexus's going for that cheap in my area so I was considering ebay but a little worried about not being able to see the car. We get lots of snow during the winter so this would be my summer car. How much should I expect to pay for a used IS300 00-04, and what kind of mileage is too many. I am also considering an LS400 or something. I drive a Honda Civic now and want some more power. Thanks if you can help or think of any other things please let me know. :cheers:

well to be honest, i dont enjoy my IS as much as others on this site. It feels a bit "cheaply" made, a lot of hard plastics, and the layout isnt as nice, feels like a toyota more than a lexus. there really arent that many problems with the car, but i have had the battery changed many times under warranty because the car seems to drain it. it might be my fault seeing how i dont drive it often.

i wouldnt buy a used car with more than 50K miles if you can afford it, thats when things turn a little iffy, and also the warranty would be gone by then. expect to pay from 19K to 23K

Dont drive the car in the winter especially with the stock dunlops, they are horrible in snow.

If you look at the newer IS (second generation) you will know what im talking about, with this frist generation IS. THe interior looks like crap for the same amount of money new.

Wow you do hate your IS... I just bought one about a month ago and I love it. It's an 01 with 100,000 highway miles on it, and the thing is so smooth. the interior is great with the leather and suede inserts, the center console is plastic but looks good. very solidly built i dont have one rattling problem. the instrument cluster is just awesome looking during the day. I bought mine for 14,999 at used car dealer and it was lowered, pinstriped, clear cornered, brand new radio to replace the crappy stock 6cd changer, and tinted. The tires will probably run about 500 - 600 dollars installed but not for at least a year. best thing is when you punch it on an onramp and you know you're going waaaay to fast and the car grips the corner no problem and the little traction light blinks as it does all the work for you. NICE

lol i dont hate it. it just doesnt fee lexus. It maybe built like one, but im sick of the black and gray interior plastics. there are some good things to the car, mainly performance issues, but luxury is not that great.

I have driven several Camries, Acuras, Beamers, you name it...and my IS 3 hundo drives WAY better than any of them. Not to mention the fact that it has the get-up and all necessary luxury add-ons you would ever need in a car (no rediculous bells and whistles) . Some cars just try too hard to make the driver lazy, but the IS 300 is a driver's car. Plus you can get one at a great price if you look for it. And as far as mods, there's more you can do to this model than any other Lex. Let's keep in mind that the Altezza overseas is a RWD ricer's dream come true. I love mine if you can't tell, so do the chicks. :D

Good luck finding one, Chillout.

i think the first step is to figure out what kind of car you want. there is a huge difference between an IS and a LS. If you want the big smooth ride the LS is for you. personally i love the agressive feel of my IS and i wouldnt have it any other way.

i guess what im saying is...i like those bells and whistiles. I love rain sensing windshield wipers, i love ventilated and headed seats, and i live nav. My IS is basically a base one, so there arent any of these things.

Also, i like how it speeds up, but i dont like how jerky the car is. Changing gears is like have somebody bump into you in the back.