Anyone Ever Have A Wheel Bearing Go Out

ED.

The car was making a terrible noise in the back and I assumed it was from the air suspension but a mechanic they know looked at it and said it was a bad wheel bearing. Ive had this happen to me before on my Bimmer but this here is new to me. What should I do for that one? He also said the car needs a new cat (also a BMW thing ; ) cause the CEL came on and has been on since. Where is a place to get a cheap cat and is it even worth it with 200k on the clock?

Thanks!

Ed, at 200k miles and the age of your car, you can't really rule out anything wearing out. However, given the road salt conditions of St. Louis during winter, I wouldn't be suprised if your wheel bearing could be shot. That salt is some nasty nasty stuff. The cat's though will usually display some sort of performance problem with the cel light. Did the mechanic tell you what the code was that made the cel light come on? Want to rule out a bad O2 sensor before taking on the cat's. The O2's usually go long before the cat's do.

Question: how is your ebrake these days? Does is work normally, or is your peddle shock worn out, like mine? The reason I ask is because a few weeks ago I was getting a bad noise as well in the back, and after inspecting the car in my garage, realized the ebrake shoes where dragging on the inside of the rotor hub. A simple twist of the cable adjustment to disengage the ebrake all together fixed it. No ebrake, but no noise or drag either.

I am right in the middle of installing new wheel bearings on my 1991 LS400. Special pullers are required to disassemble the hub. You'll need inner and outer seals and new wheel bearings. I went ahead and installed 4 new struts, rotors/pads, had my 1/2 shafts rebuilt, pumpkin seals, vent valve, etc. While it's torn down, it's best to freshen up everything together. 308,000 miles...

rearaxle.pdf

hey guys. thansk for the great info!! im gonna check this out and hopefully it is something like the e brake! the code they pulled was a 40 somethign maybe? (i think i threw the paper away!! :censored: ). So should we just replace the O2s and then see if that works? right now its gettin bmw mpg!im gonn ahve him irder 02s and check on the parking break.

thanks again!!

the code they pulled was a 40 somethign maybe? (i think i threw the paper away!! :censored: ). So should we just replace the O2s and then see if that works?
It was probably a 420 and/or 430 code. I got that code about a week ago, and luckily, it went away just by unplugging the battery. Before you go and replace the O2s, test them and make sure they are causing the trouble.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I am right in the middle of installing new wheel bearings on my 1991 LS400. Special pullers are required to disassemble the hub. You'll need inner and outer seals and new wheel bearings. I went ahead and installed 4 new struts, rotors/pads, had my 1/2 shafts rebuilt, pumpkin seals, vent valve, etc. While it's torn down, it's best to freshen up everything together. 308,000 miles...

Thanks for that file, I will try to follow the procedure. Mine has 211,000 miles on it, and its roaring like a Lion.

THE SNAKE

1992 LS400 with Air Ride.