Es350 Nav System

REMyers

The GPS navigation system in my ES 350 is driving me nuts! The mechanization of the system almost makes it useless. I found out how to override the spees lock but thats it. Many times I get the voice to tell me "navigation cannot be provided in this area." Then the silly thing continues to display the proper street name!

I live in North Carolina 5 miles from Wal Mart. I asked the system to take me to WalMart. It called up a store in Atlanta! Over 250 miles away!

I wrote to Lexus and when the nice lady called me she said since it's not broken there's nothing we can do. I bought a hand held Garmin Nuvi and it's GREAT. Simple to use and finds everything.

Is there a rocket scientist out there who really can work this thing?

Roger

The GPS navigation system in my ES 350 is driving me nuts! The mechanization of the system almost makes it useless. I found out how to override the spees lock but thats it. Many times I get the voice to tell me "navigation cannot be provided in this area." Then the silly thing continues to display the proper street name!

I live in North Carolina 5 miles from Wal Mart. I asked the system to take me to WalMart. It called up a store in Atlanta! Over 250 miles away!

I wrote to Lexus and when the nice lady called me she said since it's not broken there's nothing we can do. I bought a hand held Garmin Nuvi and it's GREAT. Simple to use and finds everything.

Roger

Are you sure that you have the proper zone set?

Roger

Are you sure that you have the proper zone set?

I do. Turns out that Atlanta is in the same zone.

I found out how to override the spees lock but thats it.

How did you accomplish this?

Maybe the fact that you did this hack affected the operation of the GPS system?? :unsure:

Why don't you bring the car into your dealer and have them check out this problem?

How long has this Wal-Mart been at this location? Reason being, if the DVD Nav disc was produced before this retailer was located there, it won't be included in the information displayed on your NAV screen.

Maybe the fact that you did this hack affected the operation of the GPS system?? :unsure:

Why don't you bring the car into your dealer and have them check out this problem?

How long has this Wal-Mart been at this location? Reason being, if the DVD Nav disc was produced before this retailer was located there, it won't be included in the information displayed on your NAV screen.

Naw, the thing can't find streets that have been there for 15 years! Also I did find my WalMart in the data base but I had to dig very deep. When I told the Lexus rep about the WalMart issue seh said, "Mine did the same thing but there's a way to fix that." When I asked how she did it she replied that she doesn't remember since she knows where it is! That tells me that the Lexus rep even gave up on it.

There are two ways around the speed switch. One involves cutting a wire which I won't do. The other uses the touch screen and is well documented on the internet. Only thing is that you have to do it each time you start the car.

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm now convinced that the NAV system I purchased with my 2005 Acura TSX(Acura's latest navigation version minus the XM Traffic option available with the RL) is superior in quality, for several reasons: it has superior voice recognition, more timely direction prompts and fewer navigation errors compared to my ES 350. In every other respect, however, I have more fun driving my ES 350 UL ML-NAV than any car I have ever owned, including my RX 330 and IS 300.

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm now convinced that the NAV system I purchased with my 2005 Acura TSX(Acura's latest navigation version minus the XM Traffic option available with the RL) is superior in quality, for several reasons: it has superior voice recognition, more timely direction prompts and fewer navigation errors compared to my ES 350. In every other respect, however, I have more fun driving my ES 350 UL ML-NAV than any car I have ever owned, including my RX 330 and IS 300.

Thanks,

it is a nice car but the nav system sucks. As I said at the beginning, my handheld Garmin Nuvi 360 with Bluetooth is far superior! As a side issue, if you have an Es350, how many times have you turned on the interior lights when trying to open the garage door? Awful design!

• 2 weeks later...
it is a nice car but the nav system sucks. As I said at the beginning, my handheld Garmin Nuvi 360 with Bluetooth is far superior! As a side issue, if you have an Es350, how many times have you turned on the interior lights when trying to open the garage door? Awful design!

Actually, I keep opening the sunroof looking for the garage door opener. The buttons should be backlit. And I agree, the interior lights are dimmer than a $5 booklight. Trunk light is too dim also. -- Still love the ride, though. Most things are perfect.

Actually, I keep opening the sunroof looking for the garage door opener. The buttons should be backlit. And I agree, the interior lights are dimmer than a $5 booklight. Trunk light is too dim also. -- Still love the ride, though. Most things are perfect.

More and more it sounds like a nice car but the interior engineering was done by a committee of monkeys!

• 3 weeks later...

Roger

Roger

Can you please post the information about the speed override?

Can you please post the information about the speed override?

Hi,

This does not work on cars that have the 6.x and higher Nav DVD. I have no clue how to find out what version you are using. This is a change by Mrs. Lexus, not me. Sorry in advance.

1. Press the Menu button on the right side next to the screen

2. Press the volume button on the screen

3. Press the upper left corner of the screen where the little picture of the speaker is

4. Press the lower left corner of the screen (nothing is there).

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4

6. A service screen will appear. Press and hold the "Override" for a few seconds. It will change to blue.

7. Back out to the main menu and you should be good to go.

On mine it allows me to directly input addresses in the Nav function and use the Calendar functions. It does not effect Bluetooth operation (darn) or sound system speed lockouts (double darn). Hope this helps. Also, sorry but you will have to do this each time you start the car.

I know it might be tempting to check out some of the other settings and controls here. Don't unless you know what you are doing. Trust me on this.

Papa Pedro

Hi,

I had the same problem. Solution: I mounted one of those tiny high intensity LED flashlights to the inside of the lid of the cup holder. Mounted correctly it focuses the beam where I needed it. I simply open the cup holder and press the flashlight button and like Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places", "I can See!". The flashlight is not visible at all, does not impede the function of the cup holder and now I can see the button easily. Because I am male I used industrial strength Velcro so when the battery dies it will be simple to remove and mount a new one. I agree that this is a less than optimal solution on a $40,000+ car; it is simply a solution that works for me.

Hi,

I had the same problem. Solution: I mounted one of those tiny high intensity LED flashlights to the inside of the lid of the cup holder. Mounted correctly it focuses the beam where I needed it. I simply open the cup holder and press the flashlight button and like Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places", "I can See!". The flashlight is not visible at all, does not impede the function of the cup holder and now I can see the button easily. Because I am male I used industrial strength Velcro so when the battery dies it will be simple to remove and mount a new one. I agree that this is a less than optimal solution on a $40,000+ car; it is simply a solution that works for me.

Thanks for the tip -- gonna try it. But it is pathetic that this is even necessary. :wacko:

• 4 months later...

Naw, the thing can't find streets that have been there for 15 years! Also I did find my WalMart in the data base but I had to dig very deep. When I told the Lexus rep about the WalMart issue seh said, "Mine did the same thing but there's a way to fix that." When I asked how she did it she replied that she doesn't remember since she knows where it is! That tells me that the Lexus rep even gave up on it.

There are two ways around the speed switch. One involves cutting a wire which I won't do. The other uses the touch screen and is well documented on the internet. Only thing is that you have to do it each time you start the car.

Can you please help me where it is well documented in the internet for the speed switch? I have only been here couple weeks and am looking for being able to see dvd and also be able to use guidance while driving (passenger pushing buttons). Please help. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Hi Alan,

I'm having trouble with my Nav system, and the dealer tells me that the disk that they put in after they replaced the system is the correct one, even though it is differnt from the original and it is a version "D" from 04. What version came with your car? It is the same year as mine.

Can you please help me where it is well documented in the internet for the speed switch? I have only been here couple weeks and am looking for being able to see dvd and also be able to use guidance while driving (passenger pushing buttons). Please help. Thanks.

It was posted a few back by psp

3. Press the upper left corner of the screen where the little picture of the speaker is

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4

6. A service screen will appear. Press and hold the "Override" for a few seconds. It will change to blue.

Only for 5.x and below I believe... confirmed that it doesn't work on my 6.1...

It was posted a few back by psp

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4

Only for 5.x and below I believe... confirmed that it doesn't work on my 6.1...

Don't go bashing the nav override thing too much or Steve will be all over you!