2001 Transmission Recall?

Deuy

Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2001 ES300 earlier this week (not from a Lexus Dealer), and two days later my Check Engine and Trac Off lights went on and acceleration became sluggish. I brought it to a nearby Lexus dealer and they said I needed a shift solenoid replaced, an estimated $1200 (wtf?) repair. I called the original dealership I bought the car from, and they told me to bring it back and they would repair it for free.

Here's where things get wierd... I get a call today from the original dealership saying there is a recall on my car's transmission and they will be giving me an entirely new transmission. The Lexus dealer made no mention of such a recall, and did not diagnose any other problem besides one failed shift solenoid. I have since scoured the internet looking for info on 2001 ES300 recalls and have not found a single one. I'm getting the suspicion that someone is trying to pull one over on me, but I don't know how or why....

My question is this- does anyone know of any under-the-radar es300 recalls, and if not, why would the dealer be making this up? How would they be benefitting from replacing my whole transmission rather than just the shift solenoid, especially when I'm not expected to pay a penny for any of it?

Thanks for listening, and any insights would be appreciated.

• 5 months later...
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2001 ES300 earlier this week (not from a Lexus Dealer), and two days later my Check Engine and Trac Off lights went on and acceleration became sluggish. I brought it to a nearby Lexus dealer and they said I needed a shift solenoid replaced, an estimated $1200 (wtf?) repair. I called the original dealership I bought the car from, and they told me to bring it back and they would repair it for free.

Here's where things get wierd... I get a call today from the original dealership saying there is a recall on my car's transmission and they will be giving me an entirely new transmission. The Lexus dealer made no mention of such a recall, and did not diagnose any other problem besides one failed shift solenoid. I have since scoured the internet looking for info on 2001 ES300 recalls and have not found a single one. I'm getting the suspicion that someone is trying to pull one over on me, but I don't know how or why....

My question is this- does anyone know of any under-the-radar es300 recalls, and if not, why would the dealer be making this up? How would they be benefitting from replacing my whole transmission rather than just the shift solenoid, especially when I'm not expected to pay a penny for any of it?

Thanks for listening, and any insights would be appreciated.

My dealer just told me I need a new transmission on my 2001 ES 300, but know nothing of a recall. Can you supply any info on your recall?

I have 115,000, have had it service regularly, and in fact, just had the transmission service done within the year.