Burning Oil? - Cause There Are No Visible Leaks...

begone

I have a 1999 RX300 with 145k miles on it. It was been an excellent car with no issue to mention. Well before I went to change the oil the other day I checked it. The oil was barely reading on the stick. This was concerning since obviously I'm buring oil cause there are no leaks. What could this be? I'm taking it in at the 150k mark and so I may get this fixed. Should this be a big concern? This thing runs like a top and is still very quick and powerful like the day we got it. Any ideas?

Oh, and my struts are squeaking or creaking, how long are these things good for? Probably about time to change my struts too huh? Any advice on what brand or should I just take it to Lexus. Thanks guys.

Your valve stem seals may be worn for the oil problem, But they can do a leak down test to determine this. As for the struts, Take it to an independent or Toyota dealership, it will be a lot cheaper. KYB shocks are like the originals about a $100 per shock. Good luck

What is your oil change interval and what kind of oil did you use?

Every 3000 miles or so, whenever the tag says it's time. Also I use full synthetic....

Valve Stem Seals sound like a good diagnosis, but doesn't the car usually smoke when that happens? I'll check to make sure.

Not necessarily, the Catalytic converter will burn off the oil. You might see some blue smoke on a cold day when you first start the car until the cat gets hot. good luck

• 4 months later...
I have a 1999 RX300 with 145k miles on it. It was been an excellent car with no issue to mention. Well before I went to change the oil the other day I checked it. The oil was barely reading on the stick. This was concerning since obviously I'm buring oil cause there are no leaks. What could this be? I'm taking it in at the 150k mark and so I may get this fixed. Should this be a big concern? This thing runs like a top and is still very quick and powerful like the day we got it. Any ideas?

Oh, and my struts are squeaking or creaking, how long are these things good for? Probably about time to change my struts too huh? Any advice on what brand or should I just take it to Lexus. Thanks guys.

I literally just experienced the same problem with my 99RX300 AWD. Serviced by dealers rigorously, oil changed within recommended intervals. Saw oil usage and asked dealer to check compression. 2 cylinders were low (~90lbs). Hoped it was valve stems/seats. But, ...had 2 cylinders that had mirrored over and reduced compression. Apparently the rings fused to the pistons and cross hatch on cyl walls was gone. Used premium oils, including Mobile 1 for the last 50k. Engine seemed to have plenty of power but was idling rough and appeared to be using oil...which was unusual. During the diagnosis we found the Idle Air pump was going bad and it was probably reason for rough idle. Ended up replacing short block (cheaper than fixing) and rebuilding head assys. All new seals/gaskets, valve covers, etc. I was shocked since I had 148k miles...mostly highway....and had pampered this thing since day 1 and have been the only driver. Lexus was not interested in investigating since no signs of sludge. They said it just wore out. A very poor explanation for an engine so rigorously maintained......especially a Toyota engine. Good news was that the dealership cut me a huge deal on doing the work (I think they were embarrased quite honestly) and I did the engine, tranny fluid service, and new rotors/pads all around for $8k flat. Car is now under warranty again for 12mo/12k miles. A huge disappointment for me that this happened. Now wonder if Lexus is really all that since I've never had any other car with this issue no matter how many miles it had...even an old K-Car with a gazillion miles on it.

I would suggest having the basics checked and serviced as normal and get use to it burning a little oil. I would have been better off leaving mine alone and waiting for it to fail completely. Once we had it opened up that far to diagnose it, it wasn't a lot more to replace the short block as opposed to putting it back together as-is. If you want to know, a compression test may be very revealing. Even if you're low on one or more cyls but have power, etc. you still may want to ride it out, watch your oil closely, and see if you fall out of love with the car before it fails. It may be a lot cheaper. Fortunately, I don't have the strut issues and my car still drives like it's new with almost 150k miles. Even after having a new RX350 for a month at no cost while they did the work.....I still like my '99 better. Doesn't feel like a cream puff.

The biggest disappointment in this whole thing was Lexus had no interest in any kind of detailed follow-up to understand what caused this problem. Dying of old age at 148k miles on a Toyota engine of that size is ridiculous.....although Lexus wouldn't agree. My mechanic was the one that compelled me to follow-up with them since the engine was so clean and was clearly maintained well. He was miffed as to why it failed. I know every company has to manage its costs and warranty claims and am not shocked that they didn't want to put any effort into it......but then again, they're supposed to be different. Just another car company in this case. However, the dealer gets a gold medal for the way they helped, gave me a huge discount, and a loaner the whole time.

Good Luck!

I literally just experienced the same problem with my 99RX300 AWD. Serviced by dealers rigorously, oil changed within recommended intervals. Saw oil usage and asked dealer to check compression. 2 cylinders were low (~90lbs). Hoped it was valve stems/seats. But, ...had 2 cylinders that had mirrored over and reduced compression. Apparently the rings fused to the pistons and cross hatch on cyl walls was gone. Used premium oils, including Mobile 1 for the last 50k. Engine seemed to have plenty of power but was idling rough and appeared to be using oil...which was unusual. During the diagnosis we found the Idle Air pump was going bad and it was probably reason for rough idle. Ended up replacing short block (cheaper than fixing) and rebuilding head assys. All new seals/gaskets, valve covers, etc. I was shocked since I had 148k miles...mostly highway....and had pampered this thing since day 1 and have been the only driver. Lexus was not interested in investigating since no signs of sludge. They said it just wore out. A very poor explanation for an engine so rigorously maintained......especially a Toyota engine. Good news was that the dealership cut me a huge deal on doing the work (I think they were embarrased quite honestly) and I did the engine, tranny fluid service, and new rotors/pads all around for $8k flat. Car is now under warranty again for 12mo/12k miles. A huge disappointment for me that this happened. Now wonder if Lexus is really all that since I've never had any other car with this issue no matter how many miles it had...even an old K-Car with a gazillion miles on it.

I would suggest having the basics checked and serviced as normal and get use to it burning a little oil. I would have been better off leaving mine alone and waiting for it to fail completely. Once we had it opened up that far to diagnose it, it wasn't a lot more to replace the short block as opposed to putting it back together as-is. If you want to know, a compression test may be very revealing. Even if you're low on one or more cyls but have power, etc. you still may want to ride it out, watch your oil closely, and see if you fall out of love with the car before it fails. It may be a lot cheaper. Fortunately, I don't have the strut issues and my car still drives like it's new with almost 150k miles. Even after having a new RX350 for a month at no cost while they did the work.....I still like my '99 better. Doesn't feel like a cream puff.

The biggest disappointment in this whole thing was Lexus had no interest in any kind of detailed follow-up to understand what caused this problem. Dying of old age at 148k miles on a Toyota engine of that size is ridiculous.....although Lexus wouldn't agree. My mechanic was the one that compelled me to follow-up with them since the engine was so clean and was clearly maintained well. He was miffed as to why it failed. I know every company has to manage its costs and warranty claims and am not shocked that they didn't want to put any effort into it......but then again, they're supposed to be different. Just another car company in this case. However, the dealer gets a gold medal for the way they helped, gave me a huge discount, and a loaner the whole time.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Wow! Interesting. I'm almost scared to even do a compression check. I'll just run this sucker into the ground - and when I do I'm picking up another SUV - Probably American.

• 4 weeks later...

If I were you I would check autosafety.org under class actions and I think all will become clear. I am currently having problems such as burning oil. No visible leaks and adding approx. 1 quart a month. I purchased my 2001 Lexus RX300 six months ago from a buick dealership and I have no history as far as maintenance on this vehicle.

If I were you I would check autosafety.org under class actions and I think all will become clear. I am currently having problems such as burning oil. No visible leaks and adding approx. 1 quart a month. I purchased my 2001 Lexus RX300 six months ago from a buick dealership and I have no history as far as maintenance on this vehicle.

Lexus Sludge

Heres the Link FYI

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=185&did=1261

I wonder if Auto RX would have fixed the problem. Some have claimed on the Club Lexus site to have really cleaned the engine internally with the stuff, Engine was smoother, and oil leaks dissappeared. Anybody have experience with this stuff.

• 4 months later...

I have '02 RX300, purch in Nov 05 with 29k miles. Had dealer verify no oil sludge. I drive lots of hwy miles, now have 115k miles. Use Mobil 1 only. Recently discovered that it is using about 1 qt oil every 3k miles. Just now beginning to investigate. What was your solution?

• 5 years later...

I would also change the pcv valve to make sure there isn't excessive back pressure. Cheap try for a solution. It is located on rear valve cover on the passenger side of engine.