Sirius Installs In Pittsburgh Area

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this site, but I have posted several times and have been a member since I got my 2007 IS 250 AWD in October 2006. Many of you out there are having issues with Lexus not offering Sirius as option. Many of you know that there is an aftermarket part made by Vaistech called the SLS. See Vaistech.com for further info.

In short, I just had this unit installed this week. It is AWESOME. Integrates all Sirius functions into the steering wheel and NAV. It is a clean, seamless integration that is very professionally done. Unfortunately, we were unable to resolve the whole shark fin debate as many of you saw on this forum. At least, I never saw a DEFINITE answer to whether or not you can use the "XM" shark fin antenna with a Sirius install. Nonetheless, I used the antenna that came with the receiver and mounted it on the reardash behind the headrests in the corner. Very inconspicuous. Good reception.

For those of you who are wanting to get this done, I am recommending the guy who did mine. There company is called Total Image, and they are located on Steubenville Pike in Robinson Twp. Good people and nice quick turn around. There website and number: www.totalimage.ws/index.htm 412-788-3980. It cost me around $500, but I knew the guy so he cut me a small break on labor. Cost breakdown: SLS unit from Vaistech-$299, Sirius unit-$99, plus installation and tax.

No problems to report in the week that I have it. Very pleased.

Please reply if anyone has any questions. I will be more than happy to assist. Thanks to everyone who already and unknowingly have helped me resolve my issues as a "newbie" Lexus owner.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my 2006 IS250 for almost a year and I've still been waiting for Lexus to offer the factory Sirius accessory. I called Sirius Coopreate Headquarters a few weeks ago and they said that Lexus should be announcing in a few months (March) that they would be offering it. So I called Lexus to see if they had the same information and I was told yes, in March they would be offering it. Then I spoke to another dude at Lexus and he said no, that the whole thing has been scrapped since Oct 2006. I'm getting mixed messgaes from Lexus and Sirius. When I bought my IS250, Sirius was the main reason I went with Lexus and not Acura and now I'm still waiting a year later. I have Sirius in my car now but with wires and using the cigarette lighter which is not how I imagined the interior of my $36,000 dollar car looking like.

If I go with the after market option like you did and then Lexus changes their mind and offers the factory accessory do I need to switch the after market one out for the factory? I'm just not sure how much longer I can wait and I and I'm SIRIUSLY thinking about the after market option but don't want to make a mistake. What about the warranty on the after market option? Also, I don't have the shark fin on my car (which I like, I think it ruins the lines of the car) so I guess the atenna will need to go in the back dash behind the head rests. Is that right?

Any help would be great...I'm about to spend $750 so I don't want to rush into this decision if it's not worth it.

Thanks!

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this site, but I have posted several times and have been a member since I got my 2007 IS 250 AWD in October 2006. Many of you out there are having issues with Lexus not offering Sirius as option. Many of you know that there is an aftermarket part made by Vaistech called the SLS. See Vaistech.com for further info.

In short, I just had this unit installed this week. It is AWESOME. Integrates all Sirius functions into the steering wheel and NAV. It is a clean, seamless integration that is very professionally done. Unfortunately, we were unable to resolve the whole shark fin debate as many of you saw on this forum. At least, I never saw a DEFINITE answer to whether or not you can use the "XM" shark fin antenna with a Sirius install. Nonetheless, I used the antenna that came with the receiver and mounted it on the reardash behind the headrests in the corner. Very inconspicuous. Good reception.

For those of you who are wanting to get this done, I am recommending the guy who did mine. There company is called Total Image, and they are located on Steubenville Pike in Robinson Twp. Good people and nice quick turn around. There website and number: www.totalimage.ws/index.htm 412-788-3980. It cost me around $500, but I knew the guy so he cut me a small break on labor. Cost breakdown: SLS unit from Vaistech-$299, Sirius unit-$99, plus installation and tax.

No problems to report in the week that I have it. Very pleased.

Please reply if anyone has any questions. I will be more than happy to assist. Thanks to everyone who already and unknowingly have helped me resolve my issues as a "newbie" Lexus owner.

I know it is frustrating. I went through the same deal last October when I purchased my IS. I too was banking on Lexus offering Sirius and they kept delaying until they finally said they weren't offering it. As far as what you are saying in regards to them coming out with it this March, I am not sure. Your post was the first time I heard of it.

I originally had to suffer through hooking up my Starmate unit with the cigarette lighter, cringing at the horrible sound and interference with engine noise. I knew it wouldn't be long before an aftermarket part would be available. I had it installed a couple months ago and I have not had any problems at all. As I said in my post, it is a very clean install and the sound is great. It seamlessly integrates into the NAV and works fine with Bluetooth.

As for switching the Vaistech unit for the for the factory if Lexus offers it: the answer is no. B/c the aftermarket unit runs the same way as the factory would. You won't have the need to have anything else. It would be like it actually came with the car when you bought it. Basically, the unit is a glorified auxilary adapter made specifically for Lexus vehicles by this aftermarket company. The antenna works fine on the reardash. That is where mine is. You don't notice it at all b/c of the high headrests. I was mad that I could not use the sharkfin, b/c I thought that this was the whole idea of having one. Oh well. As for the warranty, it is one year for parts and labor. Return policy is 30 days from the shipping date.

Advice: Go with the aftermarket install if you can't wait any longer. If you can withstand the agonizing wait and inconsistent replies from Lexus and Sirius, then wait to see if they eventually come out with it. Either way, you will probably end up paying around the same price. Let me know if you have any other questions......

I saw in the news that Sirius and XM will merge soon (if approved). Will both types of radios then work, or will some have to modify their equipment? Anyone heard anything about that?

Sirius and XM work with different chip sets in their radios - if they ever do merge (and it may take close to a year for the merger to be approved) then eventually they will most likely come out with a modified radio that will pick up the proper signal.