Sounds Like A Cricket In The A/c

tdgreer

Earlier this month (1/07) my A/C started making a squealing noise. Unfortunately it was on and off. At times continual through an afternoon drive. But then at times, it just wouldn't do it at all. Quit annoying. I took it to Lexus service and they couldn't duplicate the noise. They tightened a belt. It seemed fine for about a week. But then it started again last weekend. Myself, my husband and son, all agree it sounds like a cricket. But it really sounds like the aliens communicating to each other when heard over the baby monitor on the movie Signs with Mel Gibson. Seriously!!! Anyway, it's only when the A/C is on. Quits when it's off. Very annoying. The bad thing is that it doesn't do it all the time. The car is going back to Lexus on Monday morning, but again, there's a good chance it won't do it once there. It's not doing it today. I do wonder if outside temps contribute to it, as the it has been most annoying, the weather has been in the low 80's, and it seems to behave when we've been in the 50's to 70's. I'm in Tampa. I wish I were closer to the dealership/service dept when it does this, but don't live near it, and rarely am out that way. And it seems to had it's worst times during a weekend anyway. My mom has taken ill in Louisiana and will probably be making a trip there in few weeks and sure don't want it acting up.

Anyone have such a thing happen? Any clues?

TIA!

2004 ES330

Sounds like an aged belt. Try replacing the belt or buy a bottle of "belt dressing". Or just double check and make sure that there isn't a cricket under the hood.;)

Don't buy belt dressing......buy new belts! It's cheap insurance. ;)

When I took the car in earlier this month, I thought the service rep said they had replaced the belt... although they were'nt sure that was the problem, as it wasn't acting up when I took it in. But when I looked at the service invoice, it said they tightened the belt. Regardless, the service rep said the belt looked fine, that they don't usually need changing at this time. I have about 34,000 miles. It's going back on Monday morning. But they just don't seem to know what to do without hearing it make the noise, and it just tends to behave when I bring it in!

When I took the car in earlier this month, I thought the service rep said they had replaced the belt... although they were'nt sure that was the problem, as it wasn't acting up when I took it in. But when I looked at the service invoice, it said they tightened the belt. Regardless, the service rep said the belt looked fine, that they don't usually need changing at this time. I have about 34,000 miles. It's going back on Monday morning. But they just don't seem to know what to do without hearing it make the noise, and it just tends to behave when I bring it in!

The key words here are that the belts "don't USUALLY need changing" at this time. 34K is very soon for a belt to start to slip, but it can happen. And you KNOW it will be perfectly fine every time you take it in to the dealer to have it checked, making it very difficult for the dealer's mechanics to do anything about it.

Here's a cheap way to find out if a slipping belt is your problem.

Buy a little spray can of that "Belt Dressing" stuff at an auto parts store - only a few bucks. DON'T follow the directions on the can. Just put the can in your glovebox or under the seat. Drive the car as you usually do, until it starts making that "squeaky" alien noise. Pull over into a parking lot or some other safe place off the road ASAP. Leave the engine idling, open your hood and take that can of stuff - it usually has a little red tube to attach to the nozzle. If you can still hear the squeaking, spray a short burst or 2 onto the inside of the A/C belt - the V-shaped inner surface that rides in the pullies. If the noise immediately goes away, you have found your problem. Resist the temptation to spray more of the belt dressing stuff on the belt - it will only work for a short time and will make a big mess on your belts and pullies (it's very tacky and gooey, it will coat everything and probably make your other belts slip or cause other problems). A very short burst is all you need.

Take your car to a shop and tell them to change the A/C belt and clean the pullies. Any Toyota dealer or independent mechanic who has ever worked on a Toyota can do this, it doesn't have to be a Lexus dealer. Belts are pretty cheap, just replace it instead of messing around with multiple trips to the Lexus dealer to diagnose the noise (you will already have done your own diagnosis with the belt dressing test). You'll save your money and gain peace of mind in the long run.

Hope this helps.

tck....