Ipod Integration In 05 Es330 With Nav

I recently bought a 05 ES330 with Nav (without ML). Love the car but miss MP3 capability and ML sound! I read several threads going over the aftermarket adaptors (VAIS, Denison DICE) that can be installed to connect an IPOD. Can the IPOD be controlled by the NAV touch screen? I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my LX450 a few years ago and I can access the folders and the songs by touching the NAV screen....sweet! Can you do the same with either the VAISTECH or the DICE adaptor? Specifically, can you scan through different playlists and choose songs by touch screen? If the above two adaptors cannot do this then is there any other adaptor that allows this functionallity? Alternatively, is there an aftermarket or OEM CD changer that has the MP3 capability?

Is there a way to upgrade to the "ML sound" quality? Has anyone tried it....different amp, additional speaker? I am reasonally good with auto electronics and am willing to try to improve the sound quality.

Is there an easy way to find out if the car is blue tooth capable?

One last question...read here about the 02-05 transmission hesitation issue. What is it?

Thanks for help.

Options.

I haven't seen the DICE unit but I have the Vaistech unit in my LS430. The system comes up as an MD changer (you can set the emulation for different systems, I believe the latest ICE systems support CD-Text), and the playlists come up as discs. You can change to MD text mode where you can see the name of the playlist and the song on the screen, playlists can be changed like CDs/MDs and you can skip across the song list.

The DICE units supposedly let you access your entire library; the Vaistechs only let you do playlists from the touch screen. You can also put it into a 'manual' mode where the controls on the ipod become active; but then you lose the ability to see the titles on the screen (you can still skip up and down however). There are some screenshots on the vaistech website.

I love it...I'm this close to buying an iPod so I can just leave it in the car all the time.

You can bluetooth the car with a variety of aftermarket kits; I used a Parrot 3200LS (you can see the doc in my post in this forum).

Good luck!

I recently bought a 05 ES330 with Nav (without ML). Love the car but miss MP3 capability and ML sound! I read several threads going over the aftermarket adaptors (VAIS, Denison DICE) that can be installed to connect an IPOD. Can the IPOD be controlled by the NAV touch screen? I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my LX450 a few years ago and I can access the folders and the songs by touching the NAV screen....sweet! Can you do the same with either the VAISTECH or the DICE adaptor? Specifically, can you scan through different playlists and choose songs by touch screen? If the above two adaptors cannot do this then is there any other adaptor that allows this functionallity? Alternatively, is there an aftermarket or OEM CD changer that has the MP3 capability?

Is there a way to upgrade to the "ML sound" quality? Has anyone tried it....different amp, additional speaker? I am reasonally good with auto electronics and am willing to try to improve the sound quality.

One last question...read here about the 02-05 transmission hesitation issue. What is it?

Thanks for help.

Options.

I haven't seen the DICE unit but I have the Vaistech unit in my LS430. The system comes up as an MD changer (you can set the emulation for different systems, I believe the latest ICE systems support CD-Text), and the playlists come up as discs. You can change to MD text mode where you can see the name of the playlist and the song on the screen, playlists can be changed like CDs/MDs and you can skip across the song list.

The DICE units supposedly let you access your entire library; the Vaistechs only let you do playlists from the touch screen. You can also put it into a 'manual' mode where the controls on the ipod become active; but then you lose the ability to see the titles on the screen (you can still skip up and down however). There are some screenshots on the vaistech website.

I love it...I'm this close to buying an iPod so I can just leave it in the car all the time.

You can bluetooth the car with a variety of aftermarket kits; I used a Parrot 3200LS (you can see the doc in my post in this forum).

Good luck!

Thanks for help.

Options.

Good luck!

Thanks. What are your thoughts on adding a carputer instead to add both bluetooth as well as MP3 capability? Can the NAV screen be used for the carputer? Is there an adaptor that will allow video feed to the NAV screen?

Your write-up on adding bluetooth is awesome!

Options

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. What are your thoughts on adding a carputer instead to add both bluetooth as well as MP3 capability? Can the NAV screen be used for the carputer? Is there an adaptor that will allow video feed to the NAV screen?

Your write-up on adding bluetooth is awesome!

Options

Supposedly the NAV screen has an NTSC input but at that point you will be taking out a lot of functionality. The NAV screen on the LS also controls the HVAC and a bunch of other options; not sure if it's the same on the ES.

If you didn't already have the NAV system then the carputer might be worth it but IMHO you are creating more problems than you will solve. I would think adding the upgrades to the existing system are less complex (and costly) in the long run than ripping it all out (also the carputer's sound will probably not be as good as the stock system with upgraded speakers). Also I would think it's less hassle to sync an ipod than to have to re rip or tranfer your entire music collection onto the carputer.

But to each his own...There are a couple of people on the UK forum I think who have done this...just don't play World of Warcraft on the road!!

• 1 month later...

Hmm... my searching might have answered my own question

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-models-..._rgb_toylex.asp

talks about a NTSC input..

first of all you have a 1 piece unit and that only works on 2 piece navigation units with seperate computer. also the compatiblity chart is wrong as to the years it fits. they didnt even have nav in most years and models mentioned. also that unit splices into the 10 pin rgb wires to the 2 picee systems computer which causes screen problems and does nothing about putting in the sound to the factory amp. you would have to get fm modulator.