Passive Lock?

Formap

Hi all,

I've had my ES 350 about a month now - wonderful car!

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the car to automatically lock and set the alarm when I walk away from the car (if I don't press the button on the handle or the key fob)?

Basically, I want a passive lock and alarm system.

I don't trust Lexus Tech's to tell me correctly. They told me all doors could not be unlocked upon entering the car unless you press the key fob or open the driver's door and then unlock the other doors by the switch on the door. I said "BOLDERDASH!" (or something to that effect). I contacted the Service Manager a couple days later, told him what I wanted to do and he told me what steps to take. Yes, all doors CAN unlock when the driver touches his door handle (if you want them to).

Japanese engineers don't miss a trick - and I think the passive alarm would be an option they had thought of. I just don't know how to do it.

Any ideas?

Bruce

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the car to automatically lock and set the alarm when I walk away from the car (if I don't press the button on the handle or the key fob)?

This is NOT an option on the Lexus Security System. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get an answer from Dealer of Lexu USA. I thought if I walk away from the car with key, car should lock by itself in 2 minutes of so, but that does not happen. I can't find that feature or setting in the manual. Anybody with any information?

[

quote name=Formap' date='Jan 25 2007, 11:47 PM' post='224695]

Hi all,

I don't trust Lexus Tech's to tell me correctly. They told me all doors could not be unlocked upon entering the car unless you press the key fob or open the driver's door and then unlock the other doors by the switch on the door. I said "BOLDERDASH!" (or something to that effect). I contacted the Service Manager a couple days later, told him what I wanted to do and he told me what steps to take. Yes, all doors CAN unlock when the driver touches his door handle (if you want them to).

Japanese engineers don't miss a trick - and I think the passive alarm would be an option they had thought of. I just don't know how to do it.

Any ideas?

Bruce

Nope, as alan said the system does not do this, you have to lock the car by pressing the button on the door handle.

I never got a reply from my dealer. I'll recontact them and make some waves. Any CHEAP alarm system will passively arm the system and lock the doors after a short period of time.

I can't believe the Japanese engineers would overlook something this obvious.

I don't want to buy another alarm system - the installers would probably screw up my otherwise good car. :geek:

I can't think of any OEM system that automatically locks the doors when you walk away from it, from any manufacturer. If you unlock the doors and don't open a door however it will relock in 30 seconds. Whats the big deal? Push the button on the door handle. I've never left any car I've ever had unlocked. Just lock the doors.

Making waves with your dealer will do no good, the car is not designed to do what you want it to do. The dealer didn't design the car they just sold it to you. If you MUST have the car do this, purchase an aftermarket system.

I can't think of any OEM system that automatically locks the doors when you walk away from it, from any manufacturer. If you unlock the doors and don't open a door however it will relock in 30 seconds. Whats the big deal? Push the button on the door handle. I've never left any car I've ever had unlocked. Just lock the doors.

Making waves with your dealer will do no good, the car is not designed to do what you want it to do. The dealer didn't design the car they just sold it to you. If you MUST have the car do this, purchase an aftermarket system.

Locking car is a big deal in situations:

1. Your trunk is open, you want to lock the car before taking your stuff out of trunk and close the door.

2. Doors don't lock by button press if any door, including trunk door, is still open. Sometimes I want get over with locking the car when other passengers are still getting out. You can't do that.

3. Once I forgot to even turn off the car. Walked away, and 'locked' with the remote key. Car engines remained on, and anyone could drive away the car.

I am told, I may be wrong, older GS versions lock themselves after a certain period.

1. Your trunk is open, you want to lock the car before taking your stuff out of trunk and close the door.

2. Doors don't lock by button press if any door, including trunk door, is still open. Sometimes I want get over with locking the car when other passengers are still getting out. You can't do that.

3. Once I forgot to even turn off the car. Walked away, and 'locked' with the remote key. Car engines remained on, and anyone could drive away the car.

I am told, I may be wrong, older GS versions lock themselves after a certain period.

1. You can lock the door when the trunk is open.

2. This is to keep you from locking your keys in the car, you can change this with LPS I think. Or you can just lock the car with the button on the inside of the door, or with the key fob after you've walked away.

3. If you forget to turn off the car and walk out, it beeps at you really loudly. I can't see how a carmaker can help keep you from forgetting to turn off the car...just remember.

Older GS versions do not lock themselves after a certain period either.

1. You can lock the door when the trunk is open.

2. This is to keep you from locking your keys in the car, you can change this with LPS I think. Or you can just lock the car with the button on the inside of the door, or with the key fob after you've walked away.

3. If you forget to turn off the car and walk out, it beeps at you really loudly. I can't see how a carmaker can help keep you from forgetting to turn off the car...just remember.

Older GS versions do not lock themselves after a certain period either.

1. My car does not lock with external button if trunk is open. May be it is a custom setting

2. If passengers door is open (getting out), car locks from inside switch but not from outside button.

3. Simple solution: If there is no key in the viscinity, car should turn off, after, say 30 seconds. When you are used to the situation that ignition is off when key is in pocket, "remembering" is an extra task.

I never had GS, but someone told me what I mentioned (that it locks by itself).

1. My car does not lock with external button if trunk is open. May be it is a custom setting

2. If passengers door is open (getting out), car locks from inside switch but not from outside button.

3. Simple solution: If there is no key in the viscinity, car should turn off, after, say 30 seconds. When you are used to the situation that ignition is off when key is in pocket, "remembering" is an extra task.

I never had GS, but someone told me what I mentioned (that it locks by itself).

1. I'd actually prefer that since I locked my keys in the trunk once by accident. Remember though, you can always just lock the car with the button on the keyfob like it didn't have a smart key.

2. This is correct, the Lexus locking system has always been this way. Its annoying, but you get used to it. You can't lock it with the button on the fob while a door is open either.

3. Theres a reason why the car doesn't do that. If the SKS system fails (i.e. it can no longer detect the key) while the vehicle is running or being driven then the engine would just shut off creating an unsafe situation. When the key is removed while the car is running it will drive, but it won't restart once its shut off. Its the same thing as leaving your keys in the ignition.

Come on, do you realize you're complaining because you have to turn your car off?!? How long have you been driving a car? Why would it not occur to you that you need to turn it off when you park it? I have a Prius with SKS, and when its not moving its totally silent. Niether I nor my fiance who drives it primarily has ever left without turning it off simply because we understand you have to turn a car off when you park it. The Lexus idles, and from outside the car the engine is pretty loud, plus all the gauges are still lit up. If you can't remember to turn off your car, than I think you have more serious problems to deal with than your SKS.

You will get used to it, I promise you.

Whoever told you that about the GS is wrong. If you unlock the doors and then don't open a door within 30 seconds the doors will relock, but they do not lock themselves automatically after a period of time. The dynamics of the Lexus locking system is pretty much the same as it was in 1990.

3. Theres a reason why the car doesn't do that. If the SKS system fails (i.e. it can no longer detect the key) while the vehicle is running or being driven then the engine would just shut off creating an unsafe situation. When the key is removed while the car is running it will drive, but it won't restart once its shut off. Its the same thing as leaving your keys in the ignition.

Whoever told you that about the GS is wrong. If you unlock the doors and then don't open a door within 30 seconds the doors will relock, but they do not lock themselves automatically after a period of time. The dynamics of the Lexus locking system is pretty much the same as it was in 1990.

Thanks for your note. I am not complaining. I forgot to turn the engine off once when the keyless system was new to me. I did hear beeps, but I didn't understand them. I "locked" with my fob and walked away.

We all get used to suroundings. I now physically view through the window that car is locked before I walk away. Possible improvement for 'key not detected' situation is, turn off the car if in "P" mode after a couple of warnings, but do not turn off if driving.

From a user convenience perspective, my feedback is that, at least for men, keyless entry system is not a great benefit. It would, however, change if the fob was small enough to fit in my key chain or wallet (like a credit card).

Thanks for your note. I am not complaining. I forgot to turn the engine off once when the keyless system was new to me. I did hear beeps, but I didn't understand them. I "locked" with my fob and walked away.

You gotta admit though, that ones on you lol. The car was running! You can tell from outside whether a car is running or not ;)

From a user convenience perspective, my feedback is that, at least for men, keyless entry system is not a great benefit. It would, however, change if the fob was small enough to fit in my key chain or wallet (like a credit card).

I completely disagree. I love the SKS and really miss it on my car after driving the Prius. I won't buy another car without it.

I completely disagree. I love the SKS and really miss it on my car after driving the Prius. I won't buy another car without it.

Disagreement is quite acceptable. Otherwise there will be only one color, one type, etc. !!