Am I Being Lied To?

In 1996 Porsche brought Japanese consultants to Stuttgart to show them how to make a high end car profitably.

This is my first Japanese car and I am very impressed. I have yet to find aything copied about the Lexus, thankfully.

Mercedes must have done the same...this car was apparently eight years in development, which would have started at about the time of unveiling the first generation IS...what car do you think they got their (perhaps not so original) design concept from? :D

post-23479-1178635882_thumb.jpg

In 1996 Porsche brought Japanese consultants to Stuttgart to show them how to make a high end car profitably.

This is my first Japanese car and I am very impressed. I have yet to find aything copied about the Lexus, thankfully.

Mercedes must have done the same...this car was apparently eight years in development, which would have started at about the time of unveiling the first generation IS...what car do you think they got their (perhaps not so original) design concept from? :D

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Porsche employee giving the Porsche factory tour in 1999 told us that Porsche brought the Japanese to show Porsche how to build a luxury car profitably, not the other way around. I am not saying it was all a one-way exchange, just that from an ownership seat time POV, I don't see evidence of Lexus copying Porsche or MB.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Porsche employee giving the Porsche factory tour in 1999 told us that Porsche brought the Japanese to show Porsche how to build a luxury car profitably, not the other way around. I am not saying it was all a one-way exchange, just that from an ownership seat time POV, I don't see evidence of Lexus copying Porsche or MB.

Well I certainly suspect that this recently launched small Mercedes SL took a lot of its design from the IS300...don't you think so?

Well I certainly suspect that this recently launched small Mercedes SL took a lot of its design from the IS300...don't you think so?

I have not seen the new MB SL, but what is the white MB in your pic?

My comments above were more from a features and build quality POV, less from the common shape. Seems to me the new BMW 3 series and the Lexus rear ends look quite similar. I agree, the shape of the IS and the white MB you show look very similar in front. Eventually I suppose the CAD/CAM computer and the wind tunnel will give almost identical shapes within competing segment models. Pity.

Tango:

MB engineers ain't have enough talent to copy old IS, they usually copy KIA's.LOL.

Do you know that old IS was distributed in Europe under Toyota Altezza?

Try to read more posts of problems that IS owners encoutered and think if they could ever exist in a luxury German car.

I also want you & others to read about how Lexus started in the mid 80s.

mohand,

Generally people post more about problems than they do about satisfaction, so you will see relatively more problem posts on any board. That is one purpose of the forum, to hear if someone else has a solution.

Here are just a couple of MB boards I frequent for that purpose:

Benzworld

Mercedesforum

I don't find much objective knowledge in your comment about MB engineers, nor any relevance to today's IS about how Lexus started or under what name in Europe.

Care to share with us your purported extensive experience behind the wheel of German luxury cars?

Dude, we're all completely aware of how Lexus started (Lexus was formally launched in late 1989 as a 1990 model by the way), and the fact that Lexus cars were sold abroad and in Japan until recently braded as Toyota models (simply because Lexus did not exist in those places). We know the posts because this is our forum! We're Lexus enthusiasts, we know way more about these cars than you do. Go on a MB or BMW forum and read the problems owners have encountered and see if they would ever exist in a Japanese car, they wouldn't. The problems Lexus owners have with their cars are EXTREMELY superficial compared to the problems BMW, Benz, and Audi owners have with their cars.

Like I said before, if you want to talk with people who prefer German cars to Lexus cars then there are PLENTY of forums on the internet for you to post in. I would ask you however to not come over here onto our forum and try to tell us we all have terrible taste in cars because we disagree with you. Have more class than that.

Dude, we're all completely aware of how Lexus started (Lexus was formally launched in late 1989 as a 1990 model by the way), and the fact that Lexus cars were sold abroad and in Japan until recently braded as Toyota models (simply because Lexus did not exist in those places). We know the posts because this is our forum! We're Lexus enthusiasts, we know way more about these cars than you do. Go on a MB or BMW forum and read the problems owners have encountered and see if they would ever exist in a Japanese car, they wouldn't. The problems Lexus owners have with their cars are EXTREMELY superficial compared to the problems BMW, Benz, and Audi owners have with their cars.

Like I said before, if you want to talk with people who prefer German cars to Lexus cars then there are PLENTY of forums on the internet for you to post in. I would ask you however to not come over here onto our forum and try to tell us we all have terrible taste in cars because we disagree with you. Have more class than that.

Sw, Ditto :cheers::cheers::cheers:

"The problems Lexus owners have with their cars are EXTREMELY superficial"

====================================================

What a classy savvy guy! Very eloquent too.

If you like to stifel those who express different views then you're of high class.

Have whatever views you want, but you're here in our club telling us our cars suck in a thread in which your opinion was not solicited and is off topic. You're the one that seems unable to understand that our views are different than yours.

There are plenty of german car forums you can go join, go join them.

And its "stifle" :rolleyes:

====================================================

What a classy savvy guy! Very eloquent too.

If you like to stifel those who express different views then you're of high class.

You da man. None of us, not a single one of us Lexus owners here knows *BLEEP* about cars. :censored: :censored: