Wheel Vibrations, Shaking... New Tires Just Balanced.. What Gives?

I had some issues with wheel vibration before, i tried getting all my tires balanced but no luck, I'd get wheel shaking at speeds between 60mph then gradually reducing above speeds of 65mph... The other day I got 4 new Michellin tires from costco installed and balanced w/ nitrogen inflation and they were great. However same thing... I get vibration at simular speeds but the car is smooth again at about 75mph... could it be that i need to get the control arm bushings replaced? if so has anyone ever had that done? are the daizen ones i see for sale on lexus sites any good?

Wow the exact same symptons I have on my RX300 with 133k miles. I know the drive system is way different on your vehicle, but if you find some suspension joints worn tell us which ones. I jacked my car up and tried to move the tires from top to bottom, but got absolutely no play. But the Lower ball joints could still be bad. I guess you need to use a pry bar and try to move them under the car. I havent tried this yet. Good luck.

I had some issues with wheel vibration before, i tried getting all my tires balanced but no luck, I'd get wheel shaking at speeds between 60mph then gradually reducing above speeds of 65mph... The other day I got 4 new Michellin tires from costco installed and balanced w/ nitrogen inflation and they were great. However same thing... I get vibration at simular speeds but the car is smooth again at about 75mph... could it be that i need to get the control arm bushings replaced? if so has anyone ever had that done? are the daizen ones i see for sale on lexus sites any good?

I have the same thing (98' gs300) but have not figured out why. I was starting to wonder if it might have to do with the brakes in some way. I don't seeem to get it accelerating.

I have the OEM rims and there aren't even scratched, no visible warping, no leaks, and if they were warped... i'm sure someone would've pointed that out the many times i've had the wheels balanced. I'm wondering if i should just get the daizen control bushing kit and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that tons of people are having the same problem with steering wheel vibration. Check some of the posts in the tires and wheels section for some advice on how to solve. I have the same issue with my 2002 GS430. The shaking started when I replaced the OEM tires. I have been trying to get rid of shaking ever since.

It seems that the vibration was reduced (not eliminated) when I got the front end aligned by my Lexus dealer. I read that airing the tires to 40 lbs would help, which it did, but the car rides like a stage coach. Seems to me that the vibration is worse somes times than others based on the temp outside. The problem was totally absent when the OEM Potenzas were on the car and those tires have very stiff sidewalls. I am starting to believe that the softer sidewalls on t he tires I bought are contributing to the problem. By the way - I have had the current tires balanced several times and the problem persists. I think I will go back to the Potenzas when i have to get new tires.

I must say that I am very disappointed that Lexus hasn't designed this problem out of their GS models.

Very interesting. I have a 98 GS400 and had the same thing with OEM chrome 16 " rims and non- OEM tires. Took it in for alignment and was told not needed. Had the tires re-balanced which diminished but did not eliminate the vibration. Since I do most of my driving in town, not much opportunity to evaluate the vibration at highway speeds.

Changed over to snows just before Thanksgiving (OEM used rims and Blizzak WS50s) and viola- problem gone. Just took at 2 hour trip this past weekend via highway at 75-80 mph without even a hint of vibration. Is it really a tire issue, since all have the same symptoms and the only thing I did was change to snows or could the OEM chromes contribute?

So, next question. When I replace my tires on my chromes (which I was planning on doing when I switch off my snows) what should I get? I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want the vibration either. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Very interesting. I have a 98 GS400 and had the same thing with OEM chrome 16 " rims and non- OEM tires. Took it in for alignment and was told not needed. Had the tires re-balanced which diminished but did not eliminate the vibration. Since I do most of my driving in town, not much opportunity to evaluate the vibration at highway speeds.

Changed over to snows just before Thanksgiving (OEM used rims and Blizzak WS50s) and viola- problem gone. Just took at 2 hour trip this past weekend via highway at 75-80 mph without even a hint of vibration. Is it really a tire issue, since all have the same symptoms and the only thing I did was change to snows or could the OEM chromes contribute?

So, next question. When I replace my tires on my chromes (which I was planning on doing when I switch off my snows) what should I get? I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want the vibration either. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

I got the michillen exalto v-rated tires from costco, cost about $130 mounted, balanced, w/ nitrogen and new valves. there was a $60 rebate at the time, they also have the H rated exaltos which are decent also. other than that, i'd just say get some kumho's.

Thanks for the assist.

I got the michillen exalto v-rated tires from costco, cost about $130 mounted, balanced, w/ nitrogen and new valves. there was a $60 rebate at the time, they also have the H rated exaltos which are decent also. other than that, i'd just say get some kumho's.

You may have slight vibration issues on the new rims but the suspension can handle them , The old ones may be balanced but out of round so only a hunter road force would find the issues.

Vibrations are basically caused by worn suspension components allow the wheel to travel out of it allowed play . This included worn shocks which cannot keep the wheel planted with only a light amount of balance issues.

So a bandaid is to get a better balance but finding out if you have worn parts if the cure.

I have a 98 gs400 that I bought brand new off the dealer show room floor. and had the same thing, the dealer told me it was because I had 18inch BBS wheels. so I bought 17inch Niche wheels and still had the same problem. I would go throgh tires every 10K - 14K miles. finally I had the alignment done by lazer. I had to ignore the factory specs and go by actual alignment. It was about 5 degrees off from the factory specs. It solved my problem, so I put 18inchers back on and have had no problems. Sometimes you got to go outside the box. It alomost drove me nuts.

Hope this helps

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure all the wheels are torqued to 76ft. lbs . this makes a huge diference in wheel vibration. I didn't beleive it at first but it works.. GL

Tony

I have a '98GS 400 that had this same vibration problem a few years back and I replaced the shocks due to tire cupping. This symptom which ultimately led to steering vibration. The tires are Zexius 326's 245 ZR 17's and they are rotated and balanced every time I change the oil (about 3,000 mile intervals). My car has 158,000 miles on it and no vibration problems for 2 years.

Good luck.

CC

Any dead shock will cause the vibration at high speed.

Replace with oem or an aftermarket KYB which is the oem shock.

Any opinion on bilstein shocks?

Yeah, they are way too stiff.

I guess its the ol flacid shocks for me. :o