Quiet Tires?

mannye

Actually, traditionally directional tires generate more noise than uni-directional tires.

SW03ES, Why where the OEM (Goodyear GT+4 uni-directional) tires on my Sc, so more nosier then the current Falken Ziex Ze-512 (directional)? :unsure: Both the tires mentioned are All-Season.

Picture of the Goodyear GT+4

post-1539-1170784359_thumb.jpg

Because the Falkens are just much quieter tires, its not because they're directional. Any number of tires, both uni directional and directional would have been much quieter than those Goodyears.

The reason as a rule of thumb directional tires are louder than uni-directional tires is they tend to be sportier, more handling biased tires. The fact that the tread is directional doesn't make a certain tire quieter.

Because the Falkens are just much quieter tires, its not because they're directional. Any number of tires, both uni directional and directional would have been much quieter than those Goodyears.

The reason as a rule of thumb directional tires are louder than uni-directional tires is they tend to be sportier, more handling biased tires. The fact that the tread is directional doesn't make a certain tire quieter.

SW03ES, I didn't KNOW, but thanks for setting me straight.

• 1 year later...

Well it took a while to wear out those hockey pucks I have on the car, and now they are finally at the treadwear indicators. They get an "A" for tread life, but then we shouldn't be surprised considering they are made out of iron :rolleyes:

So I'm leaning towards the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Everything I read about them has the word "quiet" in it. I will post results soon enough. Seems 18 inches is the tipping point where comfort gives way to performance but I am hoping to have found a compromise.

mannye -

I have a set of Toyo Versado LX's on my LS - I upgraded to the 18" size (245/45-18), and I love these tires. They are a V rated tire, so they will still have some 'performance' aspects, but they are made for full size luxury cars with comfort & quiet in mind.

I purchased mine from Discount Tire - they don't typically 'stock' this tire, they were able to order them for me and have them in a couple of days.

Good luck on your search & let us know what you end up with.

I only have about 18K on this set of Versado's (I use dedicated winter tires here in Minnesota), but they are still very quiet & smooth. They seem to have good treadwear & I expect to get at least another 30-35K from the current amount of tread still left on them. I will definately keep posting updates, but for the $180.00 each I paid for them, they have been a great tire (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here!!).

Maybe the Versados are better, I had the Proxes TPT and by the time they had 20k on them they were just awful. I jnow steviej had another set of Toyos and his were the same way...

I remember reading those posts earlier, but decided to chance it on feedback that I'm sure they received from their customers. Hopefully they took that seriously when they put out their 'Luxury Touring' Versado tire. So far so good though, and I am still very happy with them.

When it comes to lookign for a quiet tire, you shoudl look for a tire with low tread wear number, soft sidewall and not too aggressive of a pattern. Toyo's, noisy as they age, same thing for Eagle RSA's. Most Michelin's are quiet but the Michelins that come on the GS are normally noisier than the Advans. Its hard to narrow it down to one manufacturer but most times Michelins are quieter smoother and wear better.

• 8 years later...

Hey guys!  So here we are about 10 years later and I'm on my third LS-430.  I totaled the '04 I had when I started this thread, but the crash performance and the total pleasure it was to own meant I upgraded to a 2005.  Which got stolen a couple of years ago.  Funny story.  I was at the dealer trying to decide between a 13 or if I wanted to spring for a dark grey gunmetal colored '14 LS460 when I see a mint '06.  I asked how much...  14k and that was that.  Went home with my '06 and 30 grand in my pocket.  Couldn't be happier.

I eventually started using the Michelin Primacy MXV4 from a local guy first and then from Tire Rack, until the local guys started matching the prices around 2010 or so...now I'm back to the local guys.  

Is it still the quietest?  I found that as it ages, it tends to get louder to the point where the last 10K miles or so are annoying on long trips.  But it's better than any tire I've tried.  Of course, 10 years on, and 18 inch tires are "small" now...  so maybe those who know about these things can make some new recommendations?  Right now it has some off brand tires the previous owner (a sweet old lady) probably got overcharged for.  :)