Known Problems With The 2004 Rx330 Awd ?

RX in NC

While on-line yesterday my wife found a white, loaded RX330 AWD with about 32,000 miles that has obviously been well-cared for. She suddenly developed amnesia with regards to all the known problems we've endured with her 2000 RX300 and wants to investigate this vehicle even though she knows that I think it is overweight, underpowered, and lousy on fuel economy as well as performance. This particular RX330 is being offered by a locally-owned high-end reseller that we've done business with in the past and have a high degree of respect for. The CarFax Report comes up clean and I can make a couple of phone calls and get any applicable Lexus service records tomorrow. He's asking $31,500 but I feel that I can deal down to between $28,500 and $29,000 cash out-the-door. Kelley Blue Book computes a value of $32,300.

Those of you who've been on this forum for awhile know that I'm against this pursuit of another RX, but at the end of the day it's her money since it would be her primary vehicle, not mine. Since I'm expected to maintain it, I do get some input. Maybe enough to !Removed! this deal, but maybe not. Time will tell.

So for those of you out there who have an RX330 AWD with significant mileage (say 70,000 miles and above), please answer the following questions candidly and honestly, and be sure to provide your current mileage:

1. By the 2004 model year, has Lexus truly fixed the dreaded early transmission failure issue on their RX AWD versions? Have any of you had to repair/replace your transmission? If so, why?

2. By the 2004 model year, is the oil gelling problem a non-issue?

3. By the 2004 model year, is the rear main oil seal leak issue no longer a concern?

4. The drive-by-wire throttle system in these vehicles has caused enough frustration and fury in some owners to make them dump the vehicle, while other owners have experienced no problems with it. What is your take on the drive-by-wire throttle system in your particular vehicle?

If I have to accept another RX into our stable for the next four or five years, I want to ensure that the well-documented problems haunting the early RX300 AWD versions have truly been addressed and corrected by Lexus. Never again do I want to have to deal with the numerous defects that caused me to despise her current RX.

Thanks for assisting by providing your answers. It is very much appreciated....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on-line yesterday my wife found a white, loaded RX330 AWD with about 32,000 miles that has obviously been well-cared for. She suddenly developed amnesia with regards to all the known problems we've endured with her 2000 RX300 and wants to investigate this vehicle even though she knows that I think it is overweight, underpowered, and lousy on fuel economy as well as performance. This particular RX330 is being offered by a locally-owned high-end reseller that we've done business with in the past and have a high degree of respect for. The CarFax Report comes up clean and I can make a couple of phone calls and get any applicable Lexus service records tomorrow. He's asking $31,500 but I feel that I can deal down to between $28,500 and $29,000 cash out-the-door. Kelley Blue Book computes a value of $32,300.

Those of you who've been on this forum for awhile know that I'm against this pursuit of another RX, but at the end of the day it's her money since it would be her primary vehicle, not mine. Since I'm expected to maintain it, I do get some input. Maybe enough to !Removed! this deal, but maybe not. Time will tell.

So for those of you out there who have an RX330 AWD with significant mileage (say 70,000 miles and above), please answer the following questions candidly and honestly, and be sure to provide your current mileage:

1. By the 2004 model year, has Lexus truly fixed the dreaded early transmission failure issue on their RX AWD versions? Have any of you had to repair/replace your transmission? If so, why?

3. By the 2004 model year, is the rear main oil seal leak issue no longer a concern?

4. The drive-by-wire throttle system in these vehicles has caused enough frustration and fury in some owners to make them dump the vehicle, while other owners have experienced no problems with it. What is your take on the drive-by-wire throttle system in your particular vehicle?

If I have to accept another RX into our stable for the next four or five years, I want to ensure that the well-documented problems haunting the early RX300 AWD versions have truly been addressed and corrected by Lexus. Never again do I want to have to deal with the numerous defects that caused me to despise her current RX.

1. More and more, at least for me, it begins to appear that the premature transaxle failures only involved, primarily, the '99 model year. Also, I quite firmly believe those failures were the result of the adoption of a new shift sequence/technique and those problems, at least for the Camry, seem to remain with us until this day, the '07 model year even.

2. It is my understanding that Toyota made an immediate design change to the engine structure to alleviate the problem for newly manufactured engine blocks.

3. Main oil seal problem...??

4. The DBW system is NOT the problem, it is the FIX. Until there is notice of a final definitive fix for the transaxle subsequent/sequential downshift delay the DBW system will continue to be used to "protect the drive train". Ford has just announced that the new FWD Ford Edge's transaxle uses a variable displacement ATF oil pump for improved efficiency. Seeing as how Ford's FWD vehicles seem to be experiencing the very same problems as Toyota/Lexus I suspect the variable volume ATF oil pump will be Ford's final fix for the problem.

But also keep in mind that as of '04 the VC, viscous clutch/coupling was dropped and so you will be relying only on the traction control system braking for TRUE AWD activity. It is my understanding that the RX350 again has the VC.

If your wife truly needs AWD then have her test drive the new Acura RDX with SH-AWD.

Were I shopping today to replace my 2001 AWD RX300 the BMW X3 w/manual would be first on my list and the RDX second, with a new RX350 a distant third.

I am also in the same boat. Wife would like a replacement for our 2001 RX, but after looking at all the possibilities we find no worthy contenders yet. We prefer the RX 300 styling over the RX 330/350 but may have to compromise a little here. We prefer smaller and sporty over bigger and more luxury. I also wouldn't mind getting away from the outrageous Lexus service and parts cost. So far I have been able to avoid it by DIY and using Toyota dealer for timing belt but I am certain the day will come when I need that Lexus exculsive high priced part.

Just an observation about your comment on lousy fuel econmy for the RX 330. I know from a previuos post you are also considering a RDX. I remember because it also ranks high on our list. Consumer Reports tested both the RX 330 and the RDX and both got 18 mpg overall. But the 330 only requires regular and the RDX requires premium (plus syn oil). So you actually end up with better fuel economy with the 330. Also you get the silky smooth 6 with the RX and the turbo 4 with the RDX which consumer reports claims has a "undesireable rumble at idle". Of course the RDX is a little more sporty and has better acceleration. Now if they would only offer the RDX without the turbo, it might be the one.

Or maybe if lexus would come out with their own version of the Rav 4 and change the rear tailgate to a vertical opening and get rid of the ugly spare.

The RDX only had two shortcoming insofar as my research uncovered.

A) Tire chain restriction.

B) Different SH-AWD implementation.

According to the owners manual tire chains can ONLY be used on the front. Unlike the Toyota/Lexus AWD versions, RX, HL, Sienna, the RDX actually seemed to have enough clearanc ein the rear to accommodate even link tire chains.

Several coversations with factory reps on this matter went no where, none of then could explain the reasons for the restriction, and at least one felt it might simply be a typo based on the past experiences (Acura = FWD) of the tech writers.

The original version of SH-AWD included the ability to vary the overdrive ratio to the rear drive and then two variable coupling clucthes, on for each side. Now the one for the RDX and MDX has a constant overdrive ratio.

A third, minor complaint, for me was the "business" of the dash.

Were I to somehow end up owning one the first thing I would do is find a way to "!Removed!" the point at which the turboes begin to spool up and bring on boost. I'm far from a boy-racer mentality these days so I'd much rather have the increased FE.

RX330driver,

Is it really the transmission that bothers you or is it the drive-by-wire throttle system?

mikey00,

We drove the Acura RDX as well as the Mazda CX7 on Saturday. My wife really liked both of them and realizes that either one of them can run circles around any RX300/330. Yes, the RDX and CX7 both have their downsides, but she can have a brand-new RDX or CX7 with everything except Navigation for under $30,000. In my opinion, that's a far better bang-for-the-buck value than spending $29,000 on a 2004 RX330 with 32,000 miles on the odometer.

So the battle continues. If I have my way, she'll shut up and keep driving her RX300, I'll get her a new set of tires in about 5,000 miles, and we'll postpone her next vehicle decision for another year to give the RDX and CX7 a chance to develop a history on the market, either good or bad.

Thanks to all for your input. Anyone else have comments on their RX330?

RX330driver,

Is it really the transmission that bothers you or is it the drive-by-wire throttle system?

mikey00,

We drove the Acura RDX as well as the Mazda CX7 on Saturday. My wife really liked both of them and realizes that either one of them can run circles around any RX300/330. Yes, the RDX and CX7 both have their downsides, but she can have a brand-new RDX or CX7 with everything except Navigation for under $30,000. In my opinion, that's a far better bang-for-the-buck value than spending $29,000 on a 2004 RX330 with 32,000 miles on the odometer.

So the battle continues. If I have my way, she'll shut up and keep driving her RX300, I'll get her a new set of tires in about 5,000 miles, and we'll postpone her next vehicle decision for another year to give the RDX and CX7 a chance to develop a history on the market, either good or bad.

Thanks to all for your input. Anyone else have comments on their RX330?

Yes, the Garman handheld portable GPS/Nav is head and shoulders over, better, than any of the "captive" systems, including, most especially, the 5.1 Rx version.

I am just about to hit 60,000 on mine. No real problems for me...I have had mine for just over a year...here is a list of what I sent to Lexus to have done at my next service…

1- I just had my RX in for service...I had complained about a popping noise while turning the wheel all the way to the right...this is because the tech had left the under cover loose the last oil change that I had before. The right front of the undercover has damage where it fell on the tire and I had to get out and push it back up...the undercover was screwed back up…but now makes a pop every time I turn the wheel all the way to right or hit a bump. I was told that the noise could not be duplicated the last time that it was in. I still here the noise when I am driving the car. (This was the Tech’s fault)

2- I received a recall notice about floor retaining clips. (Minor)

3- Lumbar support- the part was ordered for my RX and was sent a card that the part is in. Please keep the part until my next scheduled service 60,000 miles. (Lumbar went out drivers side seat)

4- Jerk in transmission- I had talked to a service tech and was told that the jerk and hesitation, that I was experiencing was normal. The thump when down shifting doesn’t seem normal to me; the transmission seems to shift at sometimes perfect and then sometimes very sporadic. (Not a huge deal…but it can be annoying)

5- Rattle in the dash / sunroof. When it is cold there is a constant rattle in the dash and sunroof of the car whenever I am driving slow over any bumps. It seems to be getting worse. (This drives me NUTS!!!!) :chairshot:

6- Ticking noise is coming from the engine when startup when it is cold out. I am pretty sure Lexus has a fix out for this. (Minor)

Most of this is not a real problem...and if I had it to do all over again I would still buy my RX330...

As far as the power I feel that the RX330 has enough power for me...but after driving the RX350...I would love to have the increased HP! I also did not notice the Tranny/drive by wire issue....with the RX350.

Good Luck…with whatever you decide to do! :cheers:

LEXIRX330,

Thanks for your input here. Glad you're happy with your vehicle. But I'm not willing to outlay some serious money to acquire the vehicle and once again have to deal with a shaky transmission issue. Replacing the transmission in our current 2000 RX300 under warranty back in November 2003 improved the shift patterns somewhat, but as I've said on this forum many times before, the transmission in my 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 pickup shifts far smoother than our RX300 ever did and it doesn't have to be treated like a baby and have its fluid changed every 15,000 miles the way Lexus wants you to do. For vehicles that cost as much as these RXs do, that's simply inexcuseable.

Any other RX330 owners out there who can provide their feedback as well?

RX330driver,

is this the same thing? i think its the drive by wire that causes the transmission to do this.

my car is also experiencing more and more rattles. Coming from th driver's side dash, and from the sunroof controls/visors. yesterday, i was hearing this buzzing that i could stop when i held onto the rearview mirror. its weird its happening now...after 3 years

Wow, my 99 RX300 at least doesnt have any rattles or noises. Still a very quiet car after 133k miles. Transmission was its only downfall other that a pain getting to the oil filter. RX NC good luck in your quest. Funny how the little women get their impressions of a vehicle. But I remember it was I that steered her to the Lexus because the Mercedes had such a poor track record. First year models, not good. Have a good one.

No the vibration is still there, between 45 to 65 miles per hour. I havent had time to replace any motor mounts, but I think I will order the dogbone one. I am going to jack the car up again and take a pry bar to the lower ball joint to see if it moves. But other than that still living with it. thanks and enjoy your car shopping (like pulling teeth)

I still many posts about the jerk or hesitation in the transmission. There is a service bulliten on this with a ROM upgrade that can fix this. I have a 2004 RX330 that I got in September with 32K miles on it. I too experienced the hesitation in shift. I have recently had the dealer do the upgrade, for free under warranty, and the problem is gone for now. It shifts so smooth and nice and the coasting is much better and I believe the gas mileage has ticked up a bit too. Everyone should look into this. All is just fine with this vehical for now and I would recomend it.

Inspected and drove the 2004 RX330 AWD yesterday afternoon. Squeaky clean, well-appointed, well-maintained, brand new Michelins, all services performed at Lexus, so all records are in order and complete. Needless to say, my wife wants it to replace her aging 2000 RX300 AWD. So maybe it's time to begin negotiations because I know this vehicle won't be on the market for more than a few days.

I noticed that it has the "Data Dots" headlight theft protection system. I'm not familiar with this product. For those of you who are, what is it and how does it work?

Inspected and drove the 2004 RX330 AWD yesterday afternoon. Squeaky clean, well-appointed, well-maintained, brand new Michelins, all services performed at Lexus, so all records are in order and complete. Needless to say, my wife wants it to replace her aging 2000 RX300 AWD. So maybe it's time to begin negotiations because I know this vehicle won't be on the market for more than a few days.

I noticed that it has the "Data Dots" headlight theft protection system. I'm not familiar with this product. For those of you who are, what is it and how does it work?

I also have DATA DOTS...it is not a real big deal. All they have done is inscribed an identification # or something to that effect in/on the projection lights. They had..many problems with people stealing them...so now if someone takes them they can be identified. :ph34r:

That is basically what I got out of what I read on them...

I knew we wouldnt be losing you anytime soon :)

as for the Data dots, I just happened to be looking at their site the other day:

From their site: The product consists of polyester substrate micro-dots, each the size of a grain of sand, onto which unique information is laser etched. These unique dots come pre-mixed in a UV based adhesive for ready application onto assets such as cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, laptops and other electrical equipment, business assets, cell phones, tools, Powersports equipment, and other high value items.

http://www.datadotusa.com/technology.htm

I knew we wouldnt be losing you anytime soon :)

as for the Data dots, I just happened to be looking at their site the other day:

From their site: The product consists of polyester substrate micro-dots, each the size of a grain of sand, onto which unique information is laser etched. These unique dots come pre-mixed in a UV based adhesive for ready application onto assets such as cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, laptops and other electrical equipment, business assets, cell phones, tools, Powersports equipment, and other high value items.

http://www.datadotusa.com/technology.htm

Knowing the hassle you had to put up with RX300's tranny, why not take a sample of the tranny fluid of the Rx330 and send it to a lab for analysis? Just like any physical exams that we (humans) go through, outside look are important, but a clean bill of health should pass internal analysis. I am not talking about color-of-the-ATF exam. How does one know how much metal particles in ppm suspended and the Ph balance of the ATF by looking at the color the dye (which is used for leak detection, not diagnosis to determine condition of the fluid and tranny)?

3mz-fe is equally harsh on oil as 1mz-fe, if maintenace record says Toyota bulk dino oil for every 5K, I would demand the seller to pull the engine cover to remove any doubt about sludge.

For anyone who says 3mz-fe is not sludge prone, I recommend to check out this thread, if you don't believe it, search for Used Oil Analysis reports posted at BITOG from independent 3mz-fe owners.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...p;Number=206171

Hi I work in the parts department at a Toyota dealership. The Toyota 5w30 is the same as the old Mobil Drive Clean. It is no longer available in quarts. Only in bulk. The closest thing would be Mobil Clean 5000 It has more cleaning agents in it.

Mobil hypes it up to be a better oil. I Think you would be fine with the Mobil Clean 5000. You could

try the clean 7500 too if you want. I am currently running it in my Camry. Castrol GTX is also a very good choice. What OCI are you running your oil too ?

Just curious because the MZ series (1MZ-FE, 3MZ-FE)

of engines have a tendancy to sludge up pretty bad if you go beyond 5k oci's. I've even seen quite a few Sludge monsters with 5k oci's and dino oil.I would recomend a 3k oci with Dino, or a 5k or less with a good Synthetic like Mobil 1.

I believe that the major cause of the sludging is that the heads in these engines run very hot, and cook the oil. Other than the sludging issue these engines are great. They make quite a bit of power and get decent fuel economy.

Hope this helps,

Justin

ps. sorry for the long post.

Originally posted by ekpolk:

Justin:

Good info, with one exception. Toyota revised the MZ series, after the sludge disaster, and well before the 3MZ first appeared. I've had a couple 1MZ powered cars, the first was an 01 Highlander (in the heart of the sludge-zone), and I ran 5-7.5k OCIs, with M1 of course, and had no signs at all of sludge. IMO anyway, a late model 3MZ will be perfectly safe on the Toyota recommneded 5k OCIs. I'd still use syns, but the OP is asking about non-syn.

OT, but where in NH? I lived in Durham from 64-83 (age 3-22). Can't get back there enough.

This is true, however I've seen a couple of sludge motor since then. One of them was a 04 sienna with a 3MZ-FE and 7.5k oci's. I recomended a couple of Dino's and 1 syn. I do 3k oci's with Castrol GTX in my grandma's 94 Camry V6 (Early 1MZ-FE)with no problems, Though I still prefer the added protection of Syn in that engine especially with a 5k oci. ps. I live in Salem, NH and have been to Durham many times to visit friends

Regardless of what wwest says I firmly believe the transmission shift lag people complain about is a result of the drive by wire system, and regardless of what Tuned says (even with a quote from someone who works in the parts department of a Lexus dealership (not a mechanic) I have never heard of a Lexus past 2003 that has engine oil sludge. The argument that its because they're low mileage doesn't hold water, my 03 ES has 80k on it. If my engine were going to sludge...I'd have sludge. Especially with sludge showing up in the 97-01 models within a few thousand miles with improper changes.

Now, I don't want this to become a thread about sludge. I don't think RX in NC does either. If it really concerns you RX, definately have a mechanic lift the engine cover and look. Won't cost you a lot, expecting the seller to do this isn't reasonable though.

Anyways, I also have never heard of an RX330 suffering transmission failure and I chat with my service tech about things like this when I'm in just out of curiosity. He acknowledges the issues with the RX300, but he's never seen an RX330 have a failure. Now, the transmission throttle lag is an issue with all Lexus cars after the advent of the DBW throttle on the LS in 1998. On some models it seems like its more of an issue (the ES) but personally I think my ES and my father's two LS's exhibit the same transmission lag characteristics and in my experience with the RX330s I've driven they are better. The only thing you can do is both drive it extensively and see if you notice it, some drivers (most drivers I think) never notice it. If you do notice it, you can adjust your driving style to compensate for it.

I know you've had a bad experience, but you have a good dealer that realizes that you won't take any crap and they've stepped up and helped you with the issues you've had. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an RX330.

I'm not concerned about engine sludge. I change my oil and filter often enough to know that sludge is unlikely to be an issue for ANY vehicle we'll ever own. Lexus stepped up to the plate for the sludge issue with the 8-year/unlimited mileage warranty - even a skeptical Lexus owner like me has to admit that. I'm also not nearly as concerned about transmission failure in an RX330 AWD as I would be about another RX300 AWD. My research indicates that the RX330 AWD transmission lifespan has been much improved over the dreaded RX300 AWD. Only time will tell.

That being said, I am concerned about the drive-by-wire throttle system. My wife cannot stand any degree of hesitation, so I have fully warned her that she may never be able to adapt to an RX330. Thus far she has not experienced the sensation that I've warned her about while test-driving it over approximately 50 miles of stop-and-go city streets, rural highways, and freeway driving. I was hoping that hesitation would suddenly occur and scare her away from the RX330 for good.

But it might be too late. A prospective couple is out test-driving our RX300 with my wife right now, and two more prospective buyers are lined up for this afternoon if the current couple decides not to buy it.

And yes, I did a full disclosure on our transmission issues and insisted if they buy this vehicle, they must promise to change the transmission fluid at least every 30,000 miles. That's the best I can do for them.

I'm still hoping that nobody buys it and I therefore can tell my wife to forget about the 2004 RX330. I should know by Monday....

The interested couple met my full Kelley Blue Book value asking price. They left a $500 deposit. We'll all meet at the bank on Monday morning to handle the title transition and the actual purchase via certified check. Then they drive off with the RX300 and we drive over to Cary to pick up my wife's replacement vehicle, the 2004 RX330.

The purchasing couple is happy, my wife is happy, the 2004 RX330 reseller is happy. Everybody is happy in this transaction except me. How I hate shelling out bucks for assets that immediately begin to depreciate. Curses, foiled again. Damn it....

Oh, and thanks, guys, for the background on Data Dots headlight anti-theft. Sounds like more of a gimmick than a real value-added feature to me. Wonder how many of them that are stolen are ever actually recovered....

2004 RX330 AWD with 72,500 miles.

1) Brake pedal pulsation: Dealer turned the rotors at 29K and the pulsation came back at about 62K. I found a TSB on the subject, but I was out of warranty and they weren't willing to do anything. I had an independent replace the rotors/pads per the TSB; no problems since.

2) Transmission: At about 30K, my wife noticed the transmission lag issue. The dealer performed some type of service (reset ECU) and it went away. We haven't experienced the transmission lag issue since.

3) We have the sport package and the 18" inch tires. Only 3 manufacturers (Michelin, Goodyear and Yokohama) make a tire to fit the vehicle and they are pricey. The OEM Michelins wore out at 40K and I replaced them with the same tire and they are at 5/32 with 32K on them; so we are getting ready to replace again. I wish there more options. Yokohama now makes a tire (only offered at Discount Tire YK520) that will fit it and it is quite a bit cheaper; I am going to try it next time.

Other than the items above, our RX has been through 72K of trouble-free miles and more importantly, my wife loves the vehicle.

newtoncd,

Thanks for the additional input. You are correct - tire choices for these 18-inch upgrade rims are terribly limited, very pricey, and are poor on treadwear life. I hate 18-inch wheels because of this.

The RX330 that we'll purchase tomorrow has brand new 235/55/VR18 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires on it, just installed by the reseller. If I could have gotten to him before he ordered those tires, I would have specified the Bridgestone Alenzas primarily because they carry a 65,000 mile treadwear warranty, probably the only tire that will fit this wheel that carries one. The Michelin tires do not have a treadwear warranty and are NOT designed for an SUV. Even with proper care, I bet these puppies will be shot within 35,000 miles, and for my money that really sucks. They also are only average in the rain and forget about them in snow or slush. On the contrary, the Alenzas are highly-regarded for their wet traction as well as their snow traction because they are true SUV tires. Sure wish this vehicle had the Alenzas instead of the MXV4s. Oh well, it gives me a challenge to see how far I can get them to go. But you can surely tell when you're hard-cornering this RX330 that the Michelins are designed for sedans and coupes, not SUVs or light trucks....