90k Service - Sc400

Can someone please post a list of what is called for in the Lexus service manuals. I think I am getting BSed by my service writer. The car comes back with an idle vibration as if it is out of tune. I bring it back and he tells me that plug wires, dist cap and rotors are not included. I smell BS.

Go to : http://www.lexus.com/

Click on the "Owners" link at the top of the page, then register your car (its free). After which it should make a bunch of stuff pertaining to your particular year/model available to you - such as the maintenance schedule.

After you've registered, there will be a drop down menu (on the left hand side) called "MY LEXUS" with a link for "maintenance schedule" under it. On the right side you'll see a "Download SC400 Maintenance Scheduale" link. It's a 41-page PDF containing a check list of everything the dealer will check/tune/replace at any given service interval.

With this, you should be good to go. ;)

Done, thank you very much. Lots of good info there.

What I am in complete disbelief about is the fact that I do not see replacement of rotors, dist caps or plug wires called for in scheduled maintenance. When my SC came out of 90K service running with a slightly excessive vibration, I called it to the attention of my service advisor. He stated those items are not included. And that the vibration seemed normal to him.

Are these ignition parts truly life long for the car? Or do some of you recommend I have them replaced anyway. I also wonder if the vibration is truly normal for this car? I have always thought it was slightly out of tune.

No vibration is 'normal' in a lexus. I would definately take it to another dealer (if you don't have a trusted mechanic who is familiar with Lexus - or are not a grease monkey yourself).

Regarding the replacement of plugs, wires, brake pads & rotors, and other common wear items, they may be left out because their wear is dependant upon how the car is driven. Hard driving will cause all the above mentioned items to wear out sooner than later. Thus replacement at set intervals may prove unnecessary. However, you would think they'd at least indicate that these itmes are to be "checked". :blink:

Well it is possible that these items are made to such high standards that they are glanced over in the offical maintenance schedule. I mean I am happily surprised to see how long iridium plugs perform at top scale. Still in all though, something is causing the vibration. I may take it to the local Toyota dealer and see what kind of opinion I get from them.

Better yet, since the work is still under its 12 mo / 12000 mile warranty, I am going to call Lexus National. Since Lexus of Greenville deflected this matter I will take it to a higher level.

• 2 years later...