Wheel Problems

I own a 2003 GS300. I have had several flat tires due to the pitting on the inside of the rim of the chrome wheels causing the tire seal to break. These didn't start until I replace the tires with new ones. The tire dealer says there isn't anything they can do. Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if they make inner tubes for these wheels? The exterior chrome on the wheel is find, is just around the rim there is some really bad pits.

Thanks!

I own a 2003 GS300. I have had several flat tires due to the pitting on the inside of the rim of the chrome wheels causing the tire seal to break. These didn't start until I replace the tires with new ones. The tire dealer says there isn't anything they can do. Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if they make inner tubes for these wheels? The exterior chrome on the wheel is find, is just around the rim there is some really bad pits.

Thanks!

Are you sure they are pits and not damage by the lever they use to remove the tire from the rim ? I went through a similar problem, I bought new chrome rims and after the tires were installed the wheel was damaged from the kid not knowing how to mount chrome rims. They paid for new rims and I haven't been back since (1998 ).

in my case, my tire was losing air pressure all the time because the chrome was peeling from the outer lip due to age/corrosion. all the local wheel shops i contacted said there was nothing they could do short of rechroming the wheel, which is costly because it would have to be shipped to california. i ended up getting a used Ebay wheel instead, but that leaves me with 3 other wheels that are potentially suspect...

I saw the pitting. It doesn't look like tire iron damage, as the pitting is round. It doesn't look like scrapes or gouges and is a little bit away from the rim. The tire guys said this is a known problem with Lexus wheels. I am really not looking forward to purchase new wheels for the car. Does anyone know if Lexus is taking care of this, even if the car is out of warranty?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with my wheels for almost a year. Lexus won't do anything exept offer you some new wheels for $350 per. Find a tire guy you know or a friend knows, maybe the guys you bought the tires from? Have them clean the inside lip of the rim with a wire wheel. Have them use a cutoff wheel to remove any peelers to the edge of the rim. Use two coats of bead sealer and cross your fingers. The place you bought the tires from should appreciate your patronage and spend five minutes cleaning the inside lip...sometimes an extra twelve pack or 1/5th can go along way. There are a couple of other post about this, I haven't seen any other solutions. I have had good luck with this approach, hopefully I can put off buying new rims until this set of tires is worn out.

Yeah this does seem to be a common problem with the chrome rims. The only thing short of buying new rims or sending them to get re chromed would be to scrape or sand down the edges slightly. Then use some bead sealant. If that doesn’t work you'll have to buy new rims. Try out ebay or tirerack to explore all your options. For the price Lexus wants you could get a really nice aftermarket rim.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, other people have noted the problem with the peeling chrome on rims. Mine started on my 2000 GS300 when it was just out of warranty in 2002. The district rep for Lexus claimed they did not have a problem, but a few tire stores told me it was a common problem and blamed faulty chroming. I suspect it may also have to do with the way the tire install/removal equipment rubs on the rim as it does its job.

Nothing you can do except fill your tires every 3-4 days or buy non-lexus rims.

I am disappointed by lexus when it comes to taking responsibility for these type problems. Due to this and another problem, I have unfortunately put them in the "just like the rest of the A$%hole car companies" group.

Nothing you can do except fill your tires every 3-4 days or buy non-lexus rims.

My tires have been holding air without fail for a month. The extra work at the tire shop was worth it. Check my earlier post and give it a try.