Cocoa Butter For Leather (2000 - Ny)

amanda

i recently gave the car a thorough interior cleaning and used some cocoa butter mixture to clean the leather. it wasn't a special product made for car upholstery care but a cocoa butter enriched moiturizing oil -- ack!

actually, it did a nice job and the steering wheel really drank it up.

but i read today in the manual that oil stains can cause mold to grow on the leather surface. you can't even tell i've run the upholstery with oil at this point. i wiped off any excess and the leather seemed to appreciate it.

am i being too liberal with my car care?

thank you.

Amanda I think you should have used Cocoa Butter cream (comes in a tub, like Palmer's for example) and not the OIL.

Personally the cocoa butter smell was a bit much for me, but on the few parts that I tested it out with - they did come out great :)

However this weekend I'm going to try the Woolite solution :D

actually, it never even occured to me to use real cocoa butter. i just happened to have cocoa butter oil sitting in my medicine cabinet. in fact, i use it to clean/condition a leather loveseat too. i just figured leather needs to be oiled so it doesn't dry out and crack and body oil should suffice. after all, what is leather but a cured cow body covering (the poor cow -- i do love a good steak but i haven't eaten any meat other than fish in years).

anyway, why is the oil harmful to the leather but not the cocoa butter? i am willing to go out and get a tub (this oil is by palmer too), but it sounds like it will be more work than rubbing on/off the oil.

i've gotta tell you, i've used that body oil (or even just plain mineral oil -- but never edible oils as they break down and go rancid) trick for many years for all types of leather (address books, wallets, gloves...). it's never resulted in mold growth.

plus, there's no odor to speak of, really. and if you have greasy finger marks, i don't think a mild woolite solution is going to work too well.

plus, there's no odor to speak of, really.

To me there was an odor - not a distasteful one, but still that buttery, cocoa smell (predictably) and it was just a little much for me (that's just me). 

Yes, the cocoa butter in the tub might result in a little more work than the oil, but I'm sure the end result will be worth it, don't you think?

Maybe SKPERFORMANCE will chime in on this post - I do believe the cocoa butter idea was his originally.  :)  Or you can do a search. 

and if you have greasy finger marks, i don't think a mild woolite solution is going to work too well.

Greasy finger marks?! From what - food? LOL - I don't let people eat in my car ;)

Apparently the Woolite solution is an old-standby that's worked very well for people for quite some time. I plan on trying it this weekend.

too me the co coa butter smells like fresh baked cookies

i like it

and it is a bit storng for a day

but with the amount i use i am not suprised

the oil sounds like it would work amazing

as it can soak in real good

but i think it may start to remove some of the colour pigments

as the seats are more of a painted on dye rather than a softer leather dye

which can cause the paint to loosen off the leather

which is why lexus seats are so hard

too me the co coa butter smells like fresh baked cookies

i like it

and it is a bit storng for a day

but with the amount i use i am not suprised

the oil sounds like it would work amazing

as it can soak in real good

but i think it may start to remove some of the colour pigments

as the seats are more of a painted on dye rather than a softer leather dye

which can cause the paint to loosen off the leather

which is why lexus seats are so hard

hey, you and i have the same birthday!

and the lexus seats are hard! but i figured that had something to do with some safety feature or something.

that's suprising to me that the oil could loosen the paint but the butter won't. why is that?

also, i think i read some post somewhere by you that describes how to remove foglights. mine's a 2000, but maybe you could help anyway.

right after "remove arch liner," i get totally lost.

october 14 th 75

welcome fellow libra

the oil might loosen the paint

if it is cracked already and it would just soften up the leather that is holding the paint causing it to fall off

if cracked already

not sure on the fog ligths on the 2000 ask mcv 20 he plays with his alot

hey it does smell like cookies doesn't it

besides look at the pic of me in the gallery i am the slightly overweight guy

what do you expect me to say it smells like coolant

lmao

:geek: