Heating And Cooling Problem

I'm looking for a difinitive answer here on the this one, I think I have it diagnosed but would like to know for sure before I drop $150.00+ on the part. It seems to be a common problem on Lexus models that at some point the dual climate control either fails on one side or puts out less heat than the other side. So either your driver side blows hot and your passenger side blows cold or the reverse is true. This can happen whether it set on the dual mode controlling both sides or when you're trying to control the temperature individually. My '02 GS300 has the problem on the passenger side and I think it's the servo motor that can be found behind the glove box that is the culprit but before I drop the dough I'm wondering if I can get a difinitive answer from someone who has had this problem and fixed it. I've heard this problem also is common in the RX. I have already replaced the servo that controls the air/mix function but there is another one and I'm thinking it's bad too. Any one with any knowledge or who has had the same problem and fixed it--your input would be greatly appreciated...thanks...D

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for a difinitive answer here on the this one, I think I have it diagnosed but would like to know for sure before I drop $150.00+ on the part. It seems to be a common problem on Lexus models that at some point the dual climate control either fails on one side or puts out less heat than the other side. So either your driver side blows hot and your passenger side blows cold or the reverse is true. This can happen whether it set on the dual mode controlling both sides or when you're trying to control the temperature individually. My '02 GS300 has the problem on the passenger side and I think it's the servo motor that can be found behind the glove box that is the culprit but before I drop the dough I'm wondering if I can get a difinitive answer from someone who has had this problem and fixed it. I've heard this problem also is common in the RX. I have already replaced the servo that controls the air/mix function but there is another one and I'm thinking it's bad too. Any one with any knowledge or who has had the same problem and fixed it--your input would be greatly appreciated...thanks...D

I have the identical problem on a 98 GS300. Did you get a definitive answer elsewhere? Or, did you replace servo and fix the problem? I too would like to know how to proceed before tearing into things. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi D,

I too have the same issue...imagine that!!! :0 Did you take the dash out yet? I had a chance to take a look back there and I was not sure which servo was giving me problems...how did you figure that out. There are 3 on the gs. Anyway when I removed the dash I found that one of the blend doors..ie drivers side becase that is the one blowing cold air, is not closing all the way. So I just gave up because the weather changed for the better and now it's cold again and so am I. I'd like to figure this out with you because I know the units are about 130-150 per servo. What about the temp sensor below the key ignition? Could be a bad sensor, the gs gets is cabin reference from 3 sensors also. Two light (in the dash) and one air flow temp sensor, very similar to maf sensor.

I'm sure one of these is the issue:

heater head unit

2 sun sensors

cabin air temp sensor and hose

3 cabin servos

cabin blend doors.

Now I read that another gentlemen, I believe sakorti???? maybe said he had the mark levinson navigation. I think their heater and sound system is integrated, which would lead me to believe that could possibly rule out our head unit. The hose that draws air over the temp sensor is kind of cheesy....my sensor had a lot of dust on it so I do recommend everyone clean it. Lets start there and see what happens...give me some feedback I'd like to know what happens.

Erik

Hi D,

I too have the same issue...imagine that!!! :0 Did you take the dash out yet? I had a chance to take a look back there and I was not sure which servo was giving me problems...how did you figure that out. There are 3 on the gs. Anyway when I removed the dash I found that one of the blend doors..ie drivers side becase that is the one blowing cold air, is not closing all the way. So I just gave up because the weather changed for the better and now it's cold again and so am I. I'd like to figure this out with you because I know the units are about 130-150 per servo. What about the temp sensor below the key ignition? Could be a bad sensor, the gs gets is cabin reference from 3 sensors also. Two light (in the dash) and one air flow temp sensor, very similar to maf sensor.

heater head unit

2 sun sensors

3 cabin servos

cabin blend doors.

Now I read that another gentlemen, I believe sakorti???? maybe said he had the mark levinson navigation. I think their heater and sound system is integrated, which would lead me to believe that could possibly rule out our head unit. The hose that draws air over the temp sensor is kind of cheesy....my sensor had a lot of dust on it so I do recommend everyone clean it. Lets start there and see what happens...give me some feedback I'd like to know what happens.

Erik

my name is sakataj not sakorti..............yes i have the ML nav so its not the head unit. FIRST AND FOREMOST DO NOT TAKE OUT THE DASH ITS NOT NEEDED FOR THIS.if your drivers side is blowing cold air the servo and blend door ARE STILL ON THE PASSENGER SIDE and you dont need to pull the dash!!! u def hit the nail on the head,NORMALLY this is a servo motor problem and yes the rx's have a problem with this just like the gs (FINALLY WOW EITHER A SMART NOOB OR A NOOB WHO KNOWS HOW TO SEARCH 1ST, I SAY NOOB BUT U BEEN ON HERE FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS JUST NO POSTS REALLY but MY HATS OFF TO YOU darrylg33 FOR DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH 1ST :D ) ........there are technically 4 servo motors on the gs series. 3 of them are on the right side (passenger) (if your counting the fresh air recirculation servo which some people dont) and the temp servo and the mode servo (plus the one on the drivers side, IT does require pulling part of the dash but the other 3 dont.......just take out glovebox. i have done this and fixed it but since i was being cheap i used, used servo's and they out now again too! wont do that again......if u remove glovebox...ask guytelephunken for a pdf on this or pm me and i can walk you throughh it....you'll see the 3 servos under the dash (damn i wish i had finished my DIY write up already) but you'll know which one it is......it will be crunchin and making computer harddrive whirr noises as its failing to close the blend doors all the way.

with glovebox off,cd player removed,plastic shroud removed......turn car off.......start it and listen for servo making funky noises i promise you'll know which one it is. i just replaced both (i dont wanna deal with it again) and go from there....i found some for like 139 and 160 but i have to find my notes. i told you i started a DIY with like 100 pics but i havent finished it....will do so when i put in new ones AGAIN

pm me or post on here if you need nething else. oh yeah and if AFTER doin this u still have ne problems.......then look into

these

heater head unit

2 sun sensors

but not normally these and i would be willing to bet its just the servo motor.

Hi D,

heater head unit

2 sun sensors

3 cabin servos

cabin blend doors.

Erik

my name is sakataj not sakorti..............yes i have the ML nav so its not the head unit. FIRST AND FOREMOST DO NOT TAKE OUT THE DASH ITS NOT NEEDED FOR THIS.if your drivers side is blowing cold air the servo and blend door ARE STILL ON THE PASSENGER SIDE and you dont need to pull the dash!!! u def hit the nail on the head,NORMALLY this is a servo motor problem and yes the rx's have a problem with this just like the gs (FINALLY WOW EITHER A SMART NOOB OR A NOOB WHO KNOWS HOW TO SEARCH 1ST, I SAY NOOB BUT U BEEN ON HERE FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS JUST NO POSTS REALLY but MY HATS OFF TO YOU darrylg33 FOR DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH 1ST :D ) ........there are technically 4 servo motors on the gs series. 3 of them are on the right side (passenger) (if your counting the fresh air recirculation servo which some people dont) and the temp servo and the mode servo (plus the one on the drivers side, IT does require pulling part of the dash but the other 3 dont.......just take out glovebox. i have done this and fixed it but since i was being cheap i used, used servo's and they out now again too! wont do that again......if u remove glovebox...ask guytelephunken for a pdf on this or pm me and i can walk you throughh it....you'll see the 3 servos under the dash (damn i wish i had finished my DIY write up already) but you'll know which one it is......it will be crunchin and making computer harddrive whirr noises as its failing to close the blend doors all the way.

with glovebox off,cd player removed,plastic shroud removed......turn car off.......start it and listen for servo making funky noises i promise you'll know which one it is. i just replaced both (i dont wanna deal with it again) and go from there....i found some for like 139 and 160 but i have to find my notes. i told you i started a DIY with like 100 pics but i havent finished it....will do so when i put in new ones AGAIN

pm me or post on here if you need nething else. oh yeah and if AFTER doin this u still have ne problems.......then look into

these

heater head unit

2 sun sensors

but not normally these and i would be willing to bet its just the servo motor.

Hey Brian...sorry about the name confusion, please forgive the NOOB. I don't post much and keep to myself but when I can help I try. I've been fighting with the climate control for about a year or so. I's kinda funny because, as you know it kinda creeps up on you and then you're cold. realizing there is a 7 degree spread of temp from right to left.

I'll pm you!

its's cool....yeah i bought the car and they were making a computer like harddrive noise and slowly the air started fluctuating temps on each side....BUT since drivers side ALWAYS works i havent worried bout it to much, but now getting colder and gf already hates leather seats (even with the seat warmers) im gonna change them soon, like i said i changed them just didnt buy new ones and the used ones i bought didn't work either so im gonna buy new ones soon

• 4 weeks later...

I checked all four servos and they are all working properly with no noise but I am still much cooler on the drivers side? What else should I look for? All servos closed and opened just fine and I can make them cooler on the drivers side but wont get much hotter than 68 degrees Id guess. Any other suggestions?

I checked all four servos and they are all working properly with no noise but I am still much cooler on the drivers side? What else should I look for? All servos closed and opened just fine and I can make them cooler on the drivers side but wont get much hotter than 68 degrees Id guess. Any other suggestions?

so u pulled the glove box out to check these 3 on passenger side and dash out to check drivers side??

i still say its a servo...BUT u might check what u said YOU thought it was before.

heater head unit (?)

2 sun sensors

3 cabin servos

cabin blend doors.

I checked the 3 on the passenger side and the one on the drivers side. The sensors wouldnt cause this because Im using auto temp, I manually keep it on hi heat and its still off on the drivers side. I saw each servo work and even tried forcing it shut or open more but it was opened or closed. I checked the coolant level it was fine. I felt the heater core tubes going in and out and they were burning hot. This sucks its cold in MN man!

I checked the 3 on the passenger side and the one on the drivers side. The sensors wouldnt cause this because Im using auto temp, I manually keep it on hi heat and its still off on the drivers side. I saw each servo work and even tried forcing it shut or open more but it was opened or closed. I checked the coolant level it was fine. I felt the heater core tubes going in and out and they were burning hot. This sucks its cold in MN man!

doesnt matter if your using auto temp or not, if they r bad, they r bad! so you said you checked all 4? your telling me u pulled the dash out or down to check drivers side.........? <_< but you said you checked them and even tried forcing them shut....u cant force them open or closed while they are in, they are on a track or a groove. i'd still say its a servo.... if u need a idea of how to fix it (u shouldnt as you said you have pulled them and checked them, you should know where they are and how to replace them) but just in case here, is my right up about it! http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=53999

Thanks for that post, thats just what I did but all were working. I noticed you didnt do the drivers side servo. Were you having cold temps on the passenger side? I too think its would be a servo but I need to know which one makes it hot on the drivers side. When adjusting the temp down on drivers side the inside air servo opens and the driver side servo closes and it did the opposite for making the temp hotter but it would not be hot air out of the vents. I want to replace the right servo and try that but not sure which one? Any help?

Thanks for that post, thats just what I did but all were working. I noticed you didnt do the drivers side servo. Were you having cold temps on the passenger side? I too think its would be a servo but I need to know which one makes it hot on the drivers side. When adjusting the temp down on drivers side the inside air servo opens and the driver side servo closes and it did the opposite for making the temp hotter but it would not be hot air out of the vents. I want to replace the right servo and try that but not sure which one? Any help?

since im running about 2-3 hours of sleep (ty girlfriend) im barely functioning this morning even to think...i will respond on your post since your double posting i didnt wanna clog my post, so im gonna switch all the responses back to yours so im not double posting after this one...

ok.........the drivers side servo, DOES indeed control the heat on the drivers side...or the dual zone for the drivers side. either way, this is NOT the servo you want out, replacement DOES require at least pulling some of the dash down (dealer says you must remove dash) but it can be done with the dash lowered. this will not be a fun, cheap, or easy fix....im sure the servo (depending on where you get it will cost you bout 140-200 but labor will get you on this one. sorry man, let me knwo what you end up doing and if you do it yourself PLEASE do a DIY write up so some of us can see this one....odd though its not often i hear about that one going out so i wonder if they are better servo's on the drivers side or a different brand or something

I should have taken some pics but it isnt too hard to get to. Take off the lower black piece of plastic, then the next part opf the lower dash thats held in with some 10mm bolts, drop it down. I had to check the temp sensor to see if it came undone. It was filthy with dust and I had to clean it hoping this was the fix. But it didnt do anything to fix the problem. And the servo is working on drivers side so Im lost. I even talked to the lexus mechanic and he couldnt figure it out without having to pay them to look into it. Do the sun sensors come out easy? I dont think it could be them, its got to be a blend door not opening fully. LOST AND COLD!

I should have taken some pics but it isnt too hard to get to. Take off the lower black piece of plastic, then the next part opf the lower dash thats held in with some 10mm bolts, drop it down. I had to check the temp sensor to see if it came undone. It was filthy with dust and I had to clean it hoping this was the fix. But it didnt do anything to fix the problem. And the servo is working on drivers side so Im lost. I even talked to the lexus mechanic and he couldnt figure it out without having to pay them to look into it. Do the sun sensors come out easy? I dont think it could be them, its got to be a blend door not opening fully. LOST AND COLD!

i dunno if the sun sensors come out....so u talked to a lexus mechanic maybe you need to drop it off to them and let them diagnose it as your saving the sensors are fine AND the servos are fine...dunno man.