Fuel Consumption

what car do you have a 300 or 400?its very regular if its a 400.also did you mean how do you make it more because you put less?do you use premium gas?did you change the air filter, tune up etc..that all helps

yeah, I am not sure if you're pulling our collective legs, or if perhaps english just isn't your native language. If it ain't, that's all good.

If you have a GS400, I'd say that 17mpg city is decent -good. Not a whole lot you can do there to IMPROVE your mileage. (certainly you don't want to make it 'worse',.....do you?)

Use synthetic oil, keep clean filters and plugs in it, drive with a light foot when pulling away from stop signs and stop lights, and keep from using the Air Conditioner if you can.

Synthetic transmission and rear end oil might help a little bit as well, but that's expensive, even though it's awesome for the parts. Redline and Mobil 1 are good synthetics.

what car do you have a 300 or 400?its very regular if its a 400.also did you mean how do you make it more because you put less?do you use premium gas?did you change the air filter, tune up etc..that all helps

No, GS300. That is the whole point :( I am having like 17+ miles/gallon. I do not really think it is okay. Unfortunatelly, I figured out that all shops around do not see K&N air filters (I just thought that it might help, right?), so I seem do not have much options. One of my friends told me that injector system may be adjusted if it got screwed in time. What else?

whens the last timethe car was tuned up?air filter,spark plugs, fuel filter,maybe wires,and a good fuel cleaning?i recommed a good fuel cleaning and tune up if it wasnt done.also the k&n filter wont hurt either.also do you use premuim fuel?

• 1 year later...

Like others in this post, have you done a tune up? Use iridium sparks, cap/rotor, synthetic oil, air filter, etc. Use BG44K to clean out the injectors, it works!

On my 93' GS300 I get about 20 MPG city/bumper-to-bumper driving.

Maybe check your O2 sensors. I've have not heard of any o2 sensor issues on these engines, but you never know.

Check those tires for proper air pressure! You could lose 2% of fuel efficiency for every PSI under inflate tires. Also, there is no need to warm the car up extensively (10-20 seconds should be enough) however drive gently until the car warmed up. The most important factor that affect fuel efficiency is stop and go; since you do lot of city driving then try not to slam on the gas after those stops...

• 3 weeks later...
Denver gs3 What is the fuel inj. cleaner your talking about and where can you get it?I have been using Chevron fuel system cleaner and have been pretty pleased.How does this work is it an additive or ....Thanks

I think it's Berry chemicals and Walmart used to or may still carry it. You're fine with the chevron techron. If you've never used anything the BG would be great, however, since you're using techron regularily you're okay. You really don't even need the techron cleaner if you use chevron premium gas. I do the same thing though. <_<

yeah, I am not sure if you're pulling our collective legs

On the Vette forum, people brag about how low their mileage is, proof you're not a waxer :pirate:

His mileage seems about right, I doubt there's any different in mileage between the 6cyl/8cyl motors. With a modern computer controlled engine, mileage is more a function of the weight and aero charactistics (for a given driver). Of course, once you step on it, the bigger engine eats more air, so it needs more fuel.

One reason to keep an eye on the mileage (whatever level it's at) is to make sure the O2 sensors are not getting "lazy". As the sensors start to fade, they don't react as quickley to throttle changes and poor mileage is the result. The driver can detect the sensors are going bad by noticing the gas mileage is dropping. Another symtom of fading O2 sensors is poor idle at stoplights, esp if the idle recovers in a few seconds. Unfortunatley, the weak link of any computer controlled engine is that there's no way to detect a fading O2 sensor. The freaking thing needs to be nearly dead before the SES light is set.