Maintanace: Oil And Oil Filter

Hi guys! It is time for me to change an oil. I am very sceptic but still have some hopes that I am wrong. I would like to install something good to improve my car. What kind of oil should I used? What filter? I heard that it may add some power but not quite sure why, actually. I was thinking about Mobil 1 oil but have no idea what filter to use. Is there K&N?

-d

K&N is for air filters... if you need a new air filter, go ahead and put in a K&N. As for oil filters, there's not really a big difference between brands, as far as I'm concerned.

I use Mobil 1 oil. So do others. It works. :)

:cheers:

Definately stick with OEM Toyota oil filters! They ARE different. If you want to see, feel the weight of a FRAM vs. the TOYOTA. The TOYOTA is much heavier, meaning more filtering!

If you start using MOBIL 1, you can never go back (I think MOBIL 1 even says that on their bottles). So if you are willing to pay the $27.00 for 6 bottles, go for it. It really is one of the best things you can do.

;)

WELL LET ME GIVE YOU GUYS A LITTLE BIT OF EDUCATION. I HAVE BEEN USING FOR 24 YEARS AMSOIL LUBRICANTS. IN FACT ALL MY LUBRICANTS INCLUDING GREASE; DIFFERENTIAL; TRANSMISSION; POWER STEERING; ENGINE ARE ALL AMSOIL SYNTHETIC SERIES 2000 0W30 AND WITH IT I GET 20MPG CITY 30 IN HIGHWAY. I ALSO USE THE AMSOIL OIL FILTER WHICH IS CALIBRATED TO FILTER DOWN TO 4 MICRONS AND LAST 12500 MILES OR ONE YEAR. THE OIL UPTO 35000 MILES OR TWO YEARS IS THE REGIMENT I USE. THEY ALSO HAVE AIR FILTERS AT A FRACTION OF WHAT A K&N COSTS AND IF YOU MAINTAIN IT COULD LAST A LIFETIME. THE COMPANY WARRANTS THEIR PRODUCT LIKE NO OTHER OIL COMPANY OUT THERE (INCLUDING MOBIL 1) AND THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE FIRST IN SYNTHETICS SINCE THEY WERE THE FIRST API APROOVED OIL IN THE US. I LIKED THE PRODUCTS SO MUCH THAT I BECAME A DEALER IF YOU WANT ANY FURTHER INFORMATION GO TO THEIR WEB SITE AMSOIL.COM TO SEE THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND OVER 30 YEARS AND THEY MAKE VERY GOOD PRODUCTS. BY THE WAY IT ALSO GIVES YOU MORE HP AND BETTER 0-60 WITH WHAT EVER YOU'RE DRIVING, IMAGINE MY GS400 BELOW 6 SECONDS.

That is very nice...I am glad that the product works well for you. Personally, I feel that there is a difference in all oils, some it is just the package it comes in and others it is more importaint things such as how quickly it begins to break down and not do its job...lubricate. I think that pretty much the only thing that everyone will agree on would be the fact that the best thing you can do for yourself is CHANGE YOUR OIL ON A REGULAR BASIS. Now I am not saying that you have to us this or that brand or that this or that one sucks...but if are looking at the long road and if you are going to keep your car running strong...better to change your oil frequently than anything else. Yes, some oils are better than others...what is the best for you?...that is up to you.

As far as the filter...I can't beleive that some try and save a buck or two by not changing it...if you have to change it with a fram...but Rush 48 is correct, more filteration is better...just make sure you re-start your car when the oil change is complete and then check the oil level & top off. If you are having it done anywhere, check the level before you leave, everyone makes mistakes...lets not let it be on your ride. (worked @ good ol' Q'Lube for 3 years and that shop alone replaced 8 engines...with hassel)

8 engines in 3 years? That's awful. We've never had mishaps that bad in my shop ever and we're a full-service shop doing everything from oil changes to complete overhauls.

Worst thing that ever happened since I've been there was a kid closed a hood with a nice, big tool still inside. :wacko: What a terrible noise that made.

anewname-you couldn't be more right...keep in mind, @ the time I worked there they were all high-schoolers that did not take a job seriously. I would recomend a ase certified shop to anyone but that is just my opinion. I would say that your best judgement would be your own. How do you know when you pull up wether they are a bunch of high schoolers that don't take their job seriously that are being forced to knock cars out in 10min and how do we know that the guy under your hood is normally the one that vacumes and checks the tire pressure but they are short handed and he is "certified" cuz when he was hired they were short handed so he was given the answer key to take his "certification test"? Catch my drift? I am not trying to be sterio typical, I am not saying that ALL 10min oil changing places are like that....it's your car, take it to where YOU trust it. My whole point is, change your oil but you brought up another point I had to touch on...

The Mobil One and K&N filter are both good products. (K&N does make oil filters too). In addition, you can switch to another brand of oil after using Mobil One with no ill effects. If you care to know more about oil filters look here: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

I personally use Mobil One oil and AC Delco Ultragaurd filters on all of my vehicles.