Can't Shift From D Or N Into R Or P

I've searched through the history of shifting problems and I think my symptoms are different enough to warrant a new topic.

When moving my 99GS back and forth, such as when backing into my garage from an alley or parallel parking, when I only move the car forward a short distance (less than one car length) I cannot then shift the car into reverse or past reverse into park.

The shift lock release button eliminates the symptom. Also, if I pull out and drive several car lengths it will then allow the shift to reverse.

The brake lights work fine, so I don't think it is the switch.

It only happens when the car goes forward for a short distance and is quite repeatable, so I don't think it is a gummed up solenoid.

Has anyone else seen these symptoms? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chicagojoe

I would almost say it is worn engine trany mounts causing the shift linkage to jam.

Other than that you have a problem i have never heard of before.

Thanks for your thoughts SK. My gut tells me it is an electrical problem, but that's based on feel not a strong knowledge of how this system works. I wonder if we could play it out a little further to make sure that I've given all the relevant information

If it was the tranny mounts causing the linkage to jam, would the shift lock release button unjam it? And if it does, once released, wouldn't I feel some mechanical resistance to overcome the linkage jam when going into reverse? After I depress the shift lock release, it shifts very easily.

The post initiated by droppedlexus on September 20th mentions a neutral safety switch. The schematic posted there also shows three inputs, only one of which is from the brake light circuit. I'm not an expert at reading schematics, but would a failure of one of these cause the symptoms I am seeing?

Lastly, assuming you are right on the tranny mounts, how much do you think that repair might cost?

Thanks in advance...

I would almost say it is worn engine trany mounts causing the shift linkage to jam.

Other than that you have a problem i have never heard of before.

Thanks for your thoughts SK. My gut tells me it is an electrical problem, but that's based on feel not a strong knowledge of how this system works. I wonder if we could play it out a little further to make sure that I've given all the relevant information

If it was the tranny mounts causing the linkage to jam, would the shift lock release button unjam it? And if it does, once released, wouldn't I feel some mechanical resistance to overcome the linkage jam when going into reverse? After I depress the shift lock release, it shifts very easily.

The post initiated by droppedlexus on September 20th mentions a neutral safety switch. The schematic posted there also shows three inputs, only one of which is from the brake light circuit. I'm not an expert at reading schematics, but would a failure of one of these cause the symptoms I am seeing?

Lastly, assuming you are right on the tranny mounts, how much do you think that repair might cost?

Thanks in advance...

For what it is worth...

You owe mw a beer :cheers:

shifter_position_gs300.pdf

Today while driving, the N indicator began to intermittently light up. I also noticed that when it does not shift into R or P, it will also not shift into 2 or L.

I'm still struggling to determine the root cause. Would bad transmission mounts cause these symptoms? If not, is it likely to be the neutral position sensor?

Thanks.

Today while driving, the N indicator began to intermittently light up. I also noticed that when it does not shift into R or P, it will also not shift into 2 or L.

I'm still struggling to determine the root cause. Would bad transmission mounts cause these symptoms? If not, is it likely to be the neutral position sensor?

Thanks.

Chicagojoe, Did you check the file in my last post and adjust accordingly ?

dc,

Yes, thank you very much. What I could not tell from your first post was how certain you were that was the cause, or whether you were posting the document in response to my previous question of how the system worked. Am I correct in assuming that you are pretty confident it is the adjustment? If so, does that explain the symptoms including the N light coming on while driving? Or, is it likely a bad sensor?

I know this may sound a little strange but I had a similar problem like this.....I know I posted it on here somewhere.....my problem was the brake fuse, and my brake lights worked too! when I pulled the fuse the ends of the fuse was burnt.....if that's it, cheap fix

Visited Lexus this week. Conclusion is the neutral position switch is intermittently shorting to ground. $550 parts and labor, about 50% parts, 50% labor because it requires removal of the exhaust system to access. Unfortunately, they did not have the part.

Does this require a Lexus dealer to do or can a good local shop do it?