My Dealer Has *5* Ul Es350s On The Lot!

SW03ES

The place I had my new tires installed was two doors down from my dealer so I took a walk over there, saw a silver LS460 (very nice).

I was stunned to see a pearl white UL ES350 on the showroom floor, when I inquired he said he had 5 all in different colors, including a silver with black interior which is what I'd want!

The UL package does SO much for this car, the roof and the wheels really set it off and the leather is so much nicer inside.

I'm tempted!

The place I had my new tires installed was two doors down from my dealer so I took a walk over there, saw a silver LS460 (very nice).

I was stunned to see a pearl white UL ES350 on the showroom floor, when I inquired he said he had 5 all in different colors, including a silver with black interior which is what I'd want!

The UL package does SO much for this car, the roof and the wheels really set it off and the leather is so much nicer inside.

I'm tempted!

i was surprised at the ES350's capability when i drove it as a loaner. i had the base model and popped it into S mode like i do in the IS350, but with this thing i just went all out. i revved it to 6 in first & second and it handled okay despite being FWD (granted i didnt press down on the peddle that hard). didnt drive nearly as well as my IS and wasnt nearly as fast as it either, but maybe cause it was a loaner base model.

Well thats the thing, I really still enjoy driving my ES. Its in perfect shape, theres absolutely no rational reason to replace it. Its paid for, has a lot going for it.

Now, the 350 has some features I really love like the backup camera and parking sensors, the upgraded nav, radio controls on the steering wheel, bluetooth phone, and the keyless entry and start. Plus I love the new exterior and getting a silver colored car would immensely simplify my life (finally I might be able to pay someone else to wash it etc). The negatives are my gripes with the interior of the car vs mine, and the fact that it would cost me more than my car is costing me now.

Well thats the thing, I really still enjoy driving my ES. Its in perfect shape, theres absolutely no rational reason to replace it. Its paid for, has a lot going for it.

Now, the 350 has some features I really love like the backup camera and parking sensors, the upgraded nav, radio controls on the steering wheel, bluetooth phone, and the keyless entry and start. Plus I love the new exterior and getting a silver colored car would immensely simplify my life (finally I might be able to pay someone else to wash it etc). The negatives are my gripes with the interior of the car vs mine, and the fact that it would cost me more than my car is costing me now.

heres a couple somewhat rational reasons:

1) you slave away on it trying to make it look brand new since its burgundy and can easily be screwed up by someone else

2) its burgundy and your 25 :lol: . now if it were a burgundy M3 it would be by all means admissable, haha

the interior in my opnion isnt that bad but the loaner i had was non-nav, maybe with nav it looks funny, but otherwise it looked fine. also you might enjoy the extra horsepower

But its not JUST burgundy lol, it looks black until the light hits it, and then it explodes with pearl burgundy flake. With the black interior its about as youthful and exciting as an ES can get LOL. I get a lot of compliments on the color, its just too hard to keep nice.

and the interior looking "fine" and "not bad" is exactly my problem. In a $45,000 car I expect "fine" or "okay" not to even enter the equation, they didn't in the previous ES.

one question, when you were 21 what made you want a burgundy ES?

then again the ES is really a 37k car and its interior is on par with its price. if you wanted the car to have a more impressive interior then maybe you should choose something with a 45k base price. maybe your too used to the interior in your ES, and find it hard to accept the unconventional one found in the new ES.

Thats the thing, the previous ES had a more impressive interior...for less money. Its not that its unconventional, its the physical quality of the components that bothers me. Styling is subjective, I would have put some more wood in the ES350 but thats just me, but quality is quality. The plastics are cheaper, the leather is cheaper, the carpeting is cheaper, the headliner is cheaper...just bugs me. Everything else about the 350 I love, and the UL is much better in the interior department than the basic car, but it still bugs me.

As to me, I've always liked smooth riding sedans, and being in business I need a conservative sedan. I'm not like traditional people my age. I didn't actually want the black garnet, I wanted silver. My better half talked me into the garnet lol.

well how do you know that everything is "cheaper", i had an 03 GS that was a lease and I returned it last january. got the 06 IS 4 months later and to be honest I find the materials to be equally as nice if not of better quality. the leather and materials seem to be of a higher quality in my opinion and like this car far more than i did the last.

as far as carpeting goes.....come on, lol

When I say cheaper I mean they feel of lower quality. I know quality because I'm a person that knows quality and appreciates fine things. I'm no stranger to luxury cars and luxury items.

As for your IS, actually I think the new IS has a higher quality interior than the ES350 also. It has triple stitched leather and better carpeting and some of the small interior bits that bug me about the ES350 are done up in that faux metal trim that looks classier. Doesn't surprise me you feel the interior is nicer than your 03 GS. I've never been a fan of the 98-05 GS, and I think the interior of my 03 ES is a lot nicer than the GS of that era also. The interior of the new GS is much improved over the old one. If mine had a power steering wheel it'd be perfect.

You don't care about the quality of carpeting? Why do you think Rolls Royce uses fine sheepskin to make their carpeting? Things like that matter a lot to customers who appreciate quality, and people who buy luxury cars know and appreciate quality. The carpeting in the 350 is much thinner and cheaper feeling than the carpeting thats in my 300. Its more similar to the carpeting thats in our Prius.

People buy Lexus cars because of their quality, they really don't have anything else going for them. They're not as flashy and aren't as prestigious as german brands, they don't really have a performance edge either. They're a good value, and they have an outstanding reputation for quality and reliability. Thats their claim to fame. Read the reviews out there, Toyota is scaling back in the quality department pretty strongly and I think thats ultimately going to be a HUGE mistake.

This is an old argument though, the point of this thread wasn't to discuss the quality of the ES350's interior, the point was to share the fact that apparently the UL 350 is making an east coast comeback and may be more available in the future.

definitely have to agree that the IS is of a much higher quality than the ES, now that I think about it the wood, and the leather, and the whole dash just seemed to be extremely inferior to the IS. but to tell you the truth, if the carpet feels nice with my shoe on, im not gonna tell the difference whether it costs $40 or $150. i can tell the difference whether its from a toyota or a lexus or a maybach.

definitely have to agree that the IS is of a much higher quality than the ES

Maybe so, but who the heck can fit their knees in the back seat of the IS?! I don't even think small children would be comfortable back there (which is why my wife and I didn't give it a very long look). I really wanted to like the IS... because it's much more sporty, and the 250 is offered with a stick.

Not to drift the thread, but I'm actually starting to look at some other cars, like the Acura TL Type S and the new G35 Sport. But, I'm guessing we will run into rear-seat room issues with those cars as well.

Oh I could never drive an IS. For one its too stiff, and for two like you said its way too small. I carry customers in my car fairly often, and I need more room. The ES is just barely big enough.

Well you could pocket the cash...from yours. Lease a 350 for 3yrs...write it off on taxes...and then buy your LS in 3 years! :cheers:

definitely have to agree that the IS is of a much higher quality than the ES

Maybe so, but who the heck can fit their knees in the back seat of the IS?! I don't even think small children would be comfortable back there (which is why my wife and I didn't give it a very long look). I really wanted to like the IS... because it's much more sporty, and the 250 is offered with a stick.

Not to drift the thread, but I'm actually starting to look at some other cars, like the Acura TL Type S and the new G35 Sport. But, I'm guessing we will run into rear-seat room issues with those cars as well.

i can and im 5'8" for me i can easily fit, and have sat in the back for a 45 minute drive once. if the person in front of u has the seat far back though then it would be tough, but if a fourth of the headrest can be seen from the rear window, then i guarantee you that people can fit there comfortably and certainly children can fit back there.

I would never subject anyone who'se comfort I cared about to a ride in the backseat, the front seats are cramped enough.

if you're 5'8" or in that ballpark and you think front seats are cramped, then boy are you spoiled. you might last 10 minutes in a 3rd world country average vehicle.

if you're 5'8" or in that ballpark and you think front seats are cramped, then boy are you spoiled. you might last 10 minutes in a 3rd world country average vehicle.

They are also found all over Europe.

Here we are ridin' dirty in Hummers and Excursions....... :D

I'm 6'0" and who cares if I'm spoiled or how long I would last in a third world country vehicle. I make a lot of money and I drive expensive cars, I don't want to compromise my comfort. The IS is a great car, just too small for me just like the 3 series, the C class, and a lot of other cars. Thats one big reason I like the ES, its a great value but it has the size and silhouette of a midmarket luxury car (its bigger than a 5 series BMW and the Lexus GS).

Why should I be expected to pretend I'm comfortable in a car I'm not comfortable in because I'd be "spoiled" if I'm not or because I "wouldn't last 10 minutes in a third world country car" I'll never have to drive? Thats like telling someone they have to like brussels sprouts and eat them because there are starving people in Africa, makes no sense.

The world is full of people with different likes and dislikes, you like the IS, I don't. I might like it for a weekend tool around car but I probably would buy a 3 series coupe in that range instead. To drive every day though? I wouldn't even consider it. Doesn't mean its a bad car. From your discussions on here you obviously don't like the ES, the color mine is, and think those things are "old people things", have I once told you you're crazy or that you're "spoiled"? No, because you have differing likes and dislikes to me and thats fine.

I am also just about 6' and would not want to have people riding on the backseat if I was driving the IS. The IS is a great car but it is also much smaller than I would want as an everyday driver. My wife's C230 is also a fun car but I also would never want to drive that car everyday. Actually after having the RX I prefer getting in and out of that going to work than I would any car. I used to have a Camry and that was OK...to get in and out of but still not as comfortable as the RX IMHO. If we are going out with another couple I will take my RX, but if it is just her and I we will take her car it is fine for us...but a little cramped with company! :D :lol:

;)

I don't know why anyone would even consider buying a car that would not fit their lifestyle? I certainly would not buy a IS unless it was for my wife or a spare vehicle...

Thats one big reason I like the ES, its a great value but it has the size and silhouette of a midmarket luxury car (its bigger than a 5 series BMW and the Lexus GS).

ES: Length 191.1 Width 71.1

Height 57.1

Wheelbase 109.3

Curb Wt. 3,580

GS: Lenth 190

Width 71.7

Height 65.5

Wheelbase 112.2

Curb Wt. 3,869

In what way is the ES bigger than the GS?