Delayed Shifting 2000 Ls

jakemt

When I start my '00 ls cold in the morning, and warm up for about 1-2 mins, the transmission's shift from 1st to 2nd is delayed when i start out. Once it warms up, it shifts smoothly. Is this normal to warm up the car faster with higher rpms or it it something else? Thanx.

perfectly normal.... they all do that, the old ones and the new ones. let me guess, your rpm's are right in the 1400 range, and it likes to hold 1st gear until about 15 mph?

perfectly normal.... might be intersted in doing a search for "drian and fill" though, to makes sure your tranny fluid is nice and clean. very simple proceedure to do, takes maybe 20 minutes.

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

perfectly normal.... they all do that, the old ones and the new ones. let me guess, your rpm's are right in the 1400 range, and it likes to hold 1st gear until about 15 mph?

perfectly normal.... might be intersted in doing a search for "drian and fill" though, to makes sure your tranny fluid is nice and clean. very simple proceedure to do, takes maybe 20 minutes.

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

I'm a little concerned since it can go up to to 1500 - 2000 rpm and when i let off the gas, it feels like the car is dragging.... feels low rent for a '00ls.....

My 98 GS400 does exactly the same thing. It is part of the emission control system strategy to delay shifts and get the catalytic converters up to temperature quicker. The over-running clutch in the trans is also locked up, which is why you feel the decel when you let off the gas.

You can fret about it, or understand it. Either way you can't change it. It's not low rent, its brilliant.

When I start my '00 ls cold in the morning, and warm up for about 1-2 mins, the transmission's shift from 1st to 2nd is delayed when i start out. Once it warms up, it shifts smoothly. Is this normal to warm up the car faster with higher rpms or it it something else? Thanx.

A Lexus dealer service writer told me that this is a "feature" of the VVTi engine models beginning in 1998 to prevent valve damage until the engine has warmed up sufficiently -- usually within only a few blocks of driving. There is nothing wrong -- these cars did this in cold weather when brand new.

A Lexus dealer service writer told me that this is a "feature" of the VVTi engine models beginning in 1998 to prevent valve damage until the engine has warmed up sufficiently -- usually within only a few blocks of driving. There is nothing wrong -- these cars did this in cold weather when brand new.

I think that service writer was off a few years, as my 95 does this as well. Hahaha...

The right thing to do to insure everything is ok on a cold car, is just give it a few minutes to warm up before heading out. I wait until the temp needle starts moving, then I go. Course my car is on it's 12th year of existance, so it needs a little help and extra time to deal with the arthritis. But once she's warmed up...she flies like a bullet!

Next time its cold.....take it on up to 2500 rpm..(well, let it idle for for a bit) ....it will shift at this point regardless of engine temp.

It's also worth saying that, if you are stationary...like at astop light or in the driveway...keeping the car in gear during warm-up, rather than shifting to neutral, will hasten the warm-up for both the engine and the tranny...my $.02

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...