Clutch Noise

JohnH

Hello,

I've a '95 SC300 5-speed, 115k miles. The clutch and pressure plate were replaced by the dealer at 65k. Within 15k of that, a noise developed when the pedal was up in neutral, and now it is very noticeable when driving. Originally, it only happened in the summer when it was Really hot, (80 degrees or more). Now it's pretty much there all the time. I'm going to take it in, but wanted to make sure what the dealer tells me is what this forum also says.

It it the Pilot Shaft in the flywheel perhaps? I'm pretty sure they didn't replace that.

Thanks,

JohnH

What kind of noise does it make? Does it make a "whining" noise or does it "chatter"? At cruise speeds or only when the car isn't moving and in neutral? Does the noise go away as soon as you depress the clutch pedal?

if the noise is constant most likely its the pilot bearing. if it goes away after pressing on the clutch slightly then its most likley the throw out bearing.

Sorry, should have been more descriptive.

It's like a skipping, chattering sound. If I just touch the clutch pedal, moving it an inch or so, the sound goes away. I can hear it while moving slowing in traffic, so I have to assume its there at freeway speeds also.

I don't see on the old bill from the dealer, where it lists the throw out bearing.

Who replaces a clutch and pressure plate, but NOT the throw out bearing !!!!!!!!! How dumb is that!

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

hey man i have the same problem...if u ever get chance to lift the car ( i have a fellow friend that specializes on lexus's he used to work for dealer) we lifted the car day 1 i got it to listen to that same exact noise ur talkin bout...if u look at the tranny theres a piece going inside that is generally white in my case...and theres tubing around it, its like a fork shapes thing only 2 heads of a fork (get what i mean?) and it rattles...it shud be fixed easily by just replacing the part itself...sometimes it gets fixed by just having a new clutch...in ur case it wud be the part becus u said u just recently got ur clutch...

hope that helped...see ya

• 8 months later...

Ok...

So I finally got tired of the clutch chirping like a bird all the time.

I had a new throw out bearing installed last week.

All was great for about 4 days.

Now I can hear it starting to chirp again.. Just slightly.. but chirping.

Goes away when I touch the pedal, as before.

I'm afraid its gonna just get worse again.

Could it be the fork holding the bearing after all? (as suggested below)

Or ???

Thanks...

hey man i have the same problem...if u ever get chance to lift the car ( i have a fellow friend that specializes on lexus's he used to work for dealer) we lifted the car day 1 i got it to listen to that same exact noise ur talkin bout...if u look at the tranny theres a piece going inside that is generally white in my case...and theres tubing around it, its like a fork shapes thing only 2 heads of a fork (get what i mean?) and it rattles...it shud be fixed easily by just replacing the part itself...sometimes it gets fixed by just having a new clutch...in ur case it wud be the part becus u said u just recently got ur clutch...

hope that helped...see ya