Can't Pass Va Emissions

chucklarock

Since you would seem to have the similar problem I ran into in the smog inspection process recently here in Nevada, I urge you to check out my recent post. Basically, since we do not have the RPM plug-in under the dash, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how to smog test 1990-1994 Lexi's. Look under my name, and see the post. I don't think you have a smog problem, you have a $8.00 an hour dumbbell problem.

The best thing I ever did was find a professional repair shop. Hope you find one, too.

Since you would seem to have the similar problem I ran into in the smog inspection process recently here in Nevada, I urge you to check out my recent post. Basically, since we do not have the RPM plug-in under the dash, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how to smog test 1990-1994 Lexi's. Look under my name, and see the post. I don't think you have a smog problem, you have a $8.00 an hour dumbbell problem.

The best thing I ever did was find a professional repair shop. Hope you find one, too.

Texas,

Thanks for your reply. I read your thread, "smog test blues" and it was very helpful. I'm not sure my problem is as simple as yours. My car failed twice at a very reputable shop. It was tested by their best tech. He seemed frustrated that he couldn't get better numbers for me. It is possible though, that he is not aware of the need to put the rpm probe next to the accelerator as your tech did.

That was a great thread TexasLexus94 - I'm glad to see that it worked out for you. I recall when I got my 91 LS tested, the technician said it just barely passed. Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I was wondering, when you say he put the probe next to the accelerator, do you mean he physically put it near the accelerator pedal, or does the accelerator refer to something in the engine compartment? Thanks.

I just happened to have my test results handy, Chuck, and it makes for some curious reading. Basically:

Flunked HC Limit 220, test 340

Passed HC Limit 220, test 19

Flunked CO Limit 1.20 test 1.50

Passed CO Limit 1.20 test 0.01

All the other tests, like CO2 and O2 just have a result, not a limit.

They do a double RPM test, high and low here, but the results were nearly identical.

Sure looks like a faulty RPM reading causes bad results similar to yours.

My car has 111,000 miles, so maybe age is catching up to yours with higher mileage...

Best of luck.

Chuck, I used to be a smog tech. Can you scan the results of the smog test and post it up. I might just be able to guide you in the correct path. I just need to see the min/max allowed and actual exhaust readings.

lexusemissions.107.pdf

Chuck, I used to be a smog tech. Can you scan the results of the smog test and post it up. I might just be able to guide you in the correct path. I just need to see the min/max allowed and actual exhaust readings.

Thank you for your help. Here are the results: I have attached them in a pdf file.

Here's another idea -

Take your car to somewhere other than NOVA area. In Va Beach I have never had a smog test for inspection.

Thanks for trying to help, but in NOVA, a smog test is required for registration. It is a separate inspection altogether than the state inspection.

[

Without an actual hands on diagnostic I can't guaranty anything, so don't hold me to this remote diagnostic.

It appears that one of your catalytic converters are bad. Do you know which exhaust pipe the probe was inserted in? Maybe you could convince a smog tech to run the test on the opposite pipe. With HC levels being that high, the NOx levels should be much lower than that....especially with the CO being on the verge of failing also.

Without an actual hands on diagnostic I can't guaranty anything, so don't hold me to this remote diagnostic.

It appears that one of your catalytic converters are bad. Do you know which exhaust pipe the probe was inserted in? Maybe you could convince a smog tech to run the test on the opposite pipe. With HC levels being that high, the NOx levels should be much lower than that....especially with the CO being on the verge of failing also.

Thank you for your help with this. I will ask the tech if he can run the test on the opposite pipe.

Here in PA, they allow for you to get a "pass" on a previously failed emissions inspection if you spend at least $ 100 to fix the problem. You might want to find out if there's a similar provision in VA limiting how much you have to spend to fix the problem.

Emissions fixes can be financially burdensome.

The Consumer Assistance Problem is only a temporary "pass". Here in California it allows you a 1 year cushion to fix the problem, then you must get it repaired in order to pass the following year. So no back to back assistance/waivers are allowed.

California is pretty tough and since the smog problems are much worst there, it's probably justified. In PA, once you spend that $ 100 bucks, you get a pass in subsequent years also. You do get a special sticker that's different from the one folks get that don't have emissions problems.

Yeah, Cali's smog hurts my wallet every other year. My car gets the "special" though. :whistles:

What's the purpose of the different sticker? Do they inspect it differently in PA if your vehicle has that sticker? Does PA use the dyno for smogs, or is it a 2 speed idle test?

Yeah, Cali's smog hurts my wallet every other year. My car gets the "special" though. :whistles:

What's the purpose of the different sticker? Do they inspect it differently in PA if your vehicle has that sticker? Does PA use the dyno for smogs, or is it a 2 speed idle test?

I believe that the purpose of the sticker is to show that you got a "pass" after spending the $ 100 to avoid having to spend more money in subsequent inspections during the next years. Once you spend the required amount in an attempt to fix the problem, you're good to go in the future.

I had this problem with my 98 Maxima GLE, but my 96 LS passed with flying colors. I'm not sure what sort of test is used.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the end of the story (for now).

The smog tech told me that the car was running rich. When I asked him if new cats would get me passing numbers, he pretty much guaranteed that they would.

I bought new cats on Ebay for $250. (for both cats, with flanges). I installed them and the car passed the smog test with flying colors.

By the way, I used Eastern Hi-flow cats. They fit perfectly, however, the top most nut was very difficult to tighten due to the body of the cat. You need to use a deep socket on the nut, and there wasn't room to get the socket on squarely. The bite was not the best. I'm not looking forward to ever having to try to remove it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, especially 92Lex.