60k Mile Service For $1399 ?

Sorry if this topic was asked earlier. I just made an online appointment for my 2002 GS300 60K-mile service. Shortly after that I received the quote, $1399. The car has yet been to the service center's garage yet. Could this be the regular cost?

Thanks a bunch for your informative comments.

Sorry if this topic was asked earlier. I just made an online appointment for my 2002 GS300 60K-mile service. Shortly after that I received the quote, $1399. The car has yet been to the service center's garage yet. Could this be the regular cost?

Thanks a bunch for your informative comments.

Dear Lord that seems very very high. Did you go there with a problem? What are they doing that costs $1400?? So just this service is costing you $1400 did they say whats wrong with your car? Unless they tell you whats wrong with the car i wouldnt accept that. Seems like dealership bull to me.

The service center has not seen the car yet... so it should mean just the regular maintence. And the car is in very good condition. I understand 60k mile service is a big one, but $1400 seem excessive... just want to double check here first...

Actually in dealer's email, it does say that the job will take 2 days, so i guess it's mostly the labour cost...

The service center has not seen the car yet... so it should mean just the regular maintence. And the car is in very good condition. I understand 60k mile service is a big one, but $1400 seem excessive... just want to double check here first...

Actually in dealer's email, it does say that the job will take 2 days, so i guess it's mostly the labour cost...

Run, run as fast as you can away from a shop that quotes $1,400 for a 60,000 mile service on a 2002 GS300.

My favorite indie repair shop (specializes in Lexus, owned by a former Lexus dealer service writer, mechanics are former Lexus dealer mechanics) charged $400.30, including tax, in 2005 for my 2000 LS400's first 60K mile service.

A 60K service does not require two days to complete. In fact, the service requirements of the later Lexus cars are substantially less than the earlier ones.

Did the person who gave you the $1,400 quote happen to say something about you also having to grab your ankles? LOL

I would definitely check with other dealers & garages to compare rates. Get out your owners manual to see exactly what replacements are called for @ 60,000 miles and see if some outside competent mechanics can do them @ lower rates. There's no way they can charge you that much for 'inspecting' a bunch of fluids, brake pads & belts. Keep in mind you're already out of the basic bumper-bumper warranty & only 10,000 away from getting past the powertrain warranty & is this worth that kinda money?

Where I am there's only one dealership & I definitely see them growing leaps & bounds (may be goood news for they either not be able to keep up the work load or competition will come soon). I happen to own a very low mileage '98 GS400 & when I called the other day asking about timing belt replacement, the service manager told me not to worry about age especially since the car doesn't even have 45,000 on it. He said let them check the belt @ my 45,000 miles service (I swear I heard him mumbled something about a $300 charge) before doing anything as the car is still going as smooth & strong as new.

PF

That is extremely extremely high! Thank God you posted here first...

I just checked my invoice from my 60k service, $472 but I brought my own oil so they knock $20 off for me, so $492 to be fair. $1400 is more than the insanely expensive 90k service! My dealer is really expensive too, you need to shop that.

2 days? Mine was done in 4 hours. Listen to Jim, his is a V8 and the maintenance packages all cost more for the V8, mines a 6 and you should be paying what I paid. Not a penny more than $500 at the dealer.

You know what? If you like I will fax you my invoice from my 60k so you can show them and ask them to show you why theirs is nearly $1,000 more. Shoot me a PM or just post a fax number or email here. I have MongoFax at work so I could just fax it to your email address and you could forward it to them.

sheesh... I own you guys a big one indeed... I was just 30 min away from committing to the service appointment, then I saw your replies.

SW03ES, thanks for you offer to fax the receipt. I will stick to the service items based on the manual and see what the total cost will be. I just received a list of service items from the shop. In addition to regular 60k miles service items, the following were added:

- Replace emission PCV valve

- Replace alternator drive belt

- Replace transmission fluid

- Replace differential fluid

- Adjust valve clearances

- Balance front tires

Is it necessary for PCV valves to be replaced/adjusted for this service? I will take out the above items and see...

BTW, my car is still under CPO warrenty. Does it help to offset the cost?

sheesh... I own you guys a big one indeed... I was just 30 min away from committing to the service appointment, then I saw your replies.

SW03ES, thanks for you offer to fax the receipt. I will stick to the service items based on the manual and see what the total cost will be. I just received a list of service items from the shop. In addition to regular 60k miles service items, the following were added:

- Balance front tires

Is it necessary for PCV valves to be replaced/adjusted for this service? I will take out the above items and see...

Wow,

Are you serious? I didn't know people actually charged this much for a 60k. Replace alternator drive belt? There is only one drivebelt and the belt would last up to 90k. Replace emission PCV Valve? and this parts would cost $10. Why would we want to replace it? Adjust valve clearances? Are they really adjusting your valves or your wallet? I think they are adjusting your wallet! Balance front tires? What the heck? Why only front tires? A regular 60k would run around $350 + plus tax here at our shop.

JP Importz

It’s a good idea to replace the PCV valve every 30,000 miles just like the interval for the trans fluid change. The PCV is a very cheap item to replace and help your car run more efficiently. If I were you I wouldnt do the alternator drive belt (inspect the belt yourself and look for cracks or wear) or valve adjustment.

Im new to working on foreign cars but do they normally adjust valve clearances during a 60K mile service?

- Balance front tires

Here's what was done to mine for 60k at the dealer:

-Change Oil & Filter

-Replace brake fluid

-Replace coolant

-Replace Transmission Fluid

-Replace Engine Air Filter

-Replace pollen filter

-Rotate & balance tires

-Check battery & charging system

-Road test

Thats it, $472. All this replacing belts and stuff is BS at 60k. Adjust the valve clearances? This isn't a Chevelle.

Do you have another dealer you can call?

Good to see you again JPI!

The dealership finally suggested that I went with their 30k-mile service, which includes essentially 60k-mile service items enlisted under owner's manual (same as sw03es's list). Price is $530 and changes.

There are two service centers close by, and I have visited both multiple times. While the other service center perform the service items more or less by the owner manual, I feel the current center is doing a more thorough job in average.

Anyway, my car will be ready for pick up tomorrow... Thanks again, guys.

You know, now that I look at my invoice the code does say "30k". I'll ask my guy about it but he must automatically do the 30k at 60k because he knows the 60k service is BS, he's good like that.

I do know thw 90k is going to be something like $1200. I'm thinking about trading it right before that lol.

Don't have chance to check on my 30000 (major), 45000 (minor) service charges or how much my dealer will charge for the 60000, 75000 or 90000 BUT I have their mailed flyer quoting their 'free mileage points award program' of 500 points each for the 15000, 45000 & 75000 minor services & 1000 points each for the 30000, 60000 & 90000 major services. Does that imply they would be equivalent in prices?

PF

If your going to the Lexus Dealership (don't unless you must!) $1399 is probably about right. It cost me over $1000 a few years ago to get my ES300 60K. Shop around, you can probably find someone to do it for about half the quoted price.

I recently paid a little less than $600 for 60K mi service for my GX470.

BTW, I did not know 90k service would cost me so much.... Is $1,200

very normal level for 90k mi service at Lexus dealership in general?

TM8000 - I think the 90K is so much more expensive because of timing belt replacement. Lexus wanted about $700 just for that alone! I found someone to do it for less than $400