Industry's First Dual-format High-definition Disc Player

amf1932

holy cow. how much "higher" will these High Definition systems go! And I thought my "progressive scan" was good enough cuz the cable installer said this is considered the "hd" dvd player. <_<

BUT you wouldn't have the functionality of this unit. The players on the PS3 and the add on to the XBox lack functionality and connection options to your theatre setup. I was just going to get an HD/DVD add on for my Xbox, but once I looked at it and compared the functionality to an actual HD/DVD player, it was a no brainer.

BUT you wouldn't have the functionality of this unit. The players on the PS3 and the add on to the XBox lack functionality and connection options to your theatre setup. I was just going to get an HD/DVD add on for my Xbox, but once I looked at it and compared the functionality to an actual HD/DVD player, it was a no brainer.

I'm curious. Which model HD/DVD player did you get, and why did you decide on that format rather then Blu-Ray?

Its made by Toshiba, I don't recall the model number. It was a gift from my mother for Christmas who specifically wanted to get me one, and I didn't want her to pay for a BluRay (the HD/DVD players are much cheaper).

Plus, being a gadget geek I figured I'd eventually get a PS3 and it has almost complete BluRay functionality, seperate HDMI ports, and optical audio out, as opposed to the XBOX HD/DVD add on which doesn't.

Cool!

I got an HD/DVD player for Christmas, once these things get cheaper I'll have to upgrade.

This is exactly why I'm waiting to buy a Sony Blu-Ray recorder/player. I'm a Sony guy, and I heard from the horses mouth that the next generation decks are in the offing. In the meantime, I'm using a Blu-Ray player that I borrowed from one of my guys from Sony Style. It's nice to have friends. hehe

You can, but it doesn't have an optical audio out, only component audio out. Mine is hooked into my system, analog audio is fine for XBox games but for movies I want digital. The PS3 may have an optical audio out.