Tranny Seafoam, For Flushing The Ps

cardona6569

I am planing to flush the P/S system, and saw there is this product Seafoam for Transmissions and P/S Systems. Do you colleagues think it will damage the packings in the pumps and rack?

Your suggestions highly appreciated. I am planning to do this because I took some of the fluid from the P/S tank and put it in a white container and even as it look nice red in color I could see some gunk in it.

CPR

I am planing to flush the P/S system, and saw there is this product Seafoam for Transmissions and P/S Systems. Do you colleagues think it will damage the packings in the pumps and rack?

Your suggestions highly appreciated. I am planning to do this because I took some of the fluid from the P/S tank and put it in a white container and even as it look nice red in color I could see some gunk in it.

CPR

I know exactly what you're thinking, I have a can of that stuff too, and thought about using it as well. I wouldn't be so concerned with using it to clean out the steering fluid, since you can pull all the fluid out when you're done. But I'm not so sure I would use that stuff in the tranny, because it seems like a chore to get all the fluid out of there. I certainly wouldn't want seafoam running around my tranny for thousands of miles because I couldn't get all the fluid out. And, I'm not so sure I would want to put that additive in there for the sake of all the seals and such either. I remember I put some kind of slick 50 tranny junk in my 01' Maxima, and it made it act funny. I flushed it out after about 3k miles, but when it came time to turn it back in, at 46k miles, the tranny was slipping a little. I've never used it on the Lexus, and I won't, it still sits on the shelf. The power steering though, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, and might do so this spring.

Brand new tranny fluid especially the Toyota stuff is amazing at cleaning the internals of the tranny. No special additives needed. Just get an inline filter to catch the debris after flushing the system and it will work perfect after.

• 2 months later...

David, SK is talking about Toyota's transmission fluid that you can buy at your local Toyota or Lexus dealership. It's the company wide fluid they use in all of their cars, and is HIGHLY recommended for guys like us, with older LS's. Toyota has labelled their tranny fluid over the years with a numeric name "Type II, Type III, Type IV..etc.." The latest one is Type IV, which is fine for our cars, and the one I personally will only use. About once a year I go to the Toyota dealership and buy a box of it, probably 10 individual quarts in a box, for like $50 bucks. Every oil change, I do the "drain and fill" on my transmission, which is nothing more than undoing the drain plug on the bottom of your tranny pan, letting it drain out "drains out 2 quarts", put the plug back on, and pour in two quarts of new fluid "they come in 1 quart containers". It's very easy, and will keep your tranny running smooth and clean. If your car hasn't had a tranny fluid service in some time, your fluid is probably a dark maroon color, or black. A few of these drain n' fills will bring it back to that nice red color. It takes a couple times for it to completely cylce out all the old fluid "your tranny hold 7 quarts total", but it will get cleaned.