Nav / Phone Override And Voice Command Operation

In December, I bought an '07 RX400h with Nav (firmware version 6.1). At the time of my purchase, I was told of the operating limitations imposed on Nav / Phone system use, but my salesman explained that the Voice Command System would by-pass the touch screen restrictions and allow me to operate the system. He also told me that a software hack to get around the touch screen restrictions was available on the internet, but that he wasn't allowed to tell me any more about it.

Now, a month later, I've given up on the Voice Command System. It has yet to correctly recognize a Voice Command from me or any member of my family. For a car that costs this much, that and the lack of a "learning mode" is unexcusable. My Motorola cell phone has Voice Recognition and a learning mode, and it works fine.

I've also unsuccessfully searched for a non-destructive or non-mechanical way of by-passing the Nav / Phone operation restrictions Lexus has programmed into the system. And, I see that I am not alone in this wish.

All this leads me to ask, where is the outrage towards Toyota / Lexus that they sell customers a product that so severely limits the buyer's use of the product?

Where is the outrage towards Toyota / Lexus that these restrictions have forced some into feeling they have no recourse but to cut wires under their dash? These cars cost almost $50k. Why should anyone have to do that to their car?

Doesn't Toyota / Lexus realize that their poorly crafted Voice Command System presents a greater driving distraction and potential liability? A driver trying to use the Voice Command System, without success, is going to be far more distracted and upset than someone who successfully uses the touch screen.

After the Voice Command system in-correctly interpreted my command of "Detour" and displayed all nearby POI / Italian Restaurants, I spent the next 5 minutes (while driving) struggling to delete those unwanted POIs.

I have already complained, loudly, to my dealership about this. I have no intention of stopping until Toyota / Lexus issues a FREE firmware update or fix that permits un-restricted use of the Nav / Phone system.

I also think buyers are entitled to a Voice Recognition system that actually works.

If enough of us raise a big enough stink with Toyota / Lexus about this, we might be able to get the product we want and paid for.

I do feel ridiculous doing the 'over ride' button push procedure whenever I start to use the Navigation system. In addition, I'm not willing to disassemble the electronics to get my phone functions working.

This car, the RX400h is improperly classified as a 'Luxury' car. It has too many problems to have that title.

In fairness to the entire Industry, it seems as if no one car will have everything perfect. The issue for me is which car has the fewest problems and inconveniences. When I bought this car, last year, it was the most luxurious SUV hybrid. ( There was no competition! )

In December, I bought an '07 RX400h with Nav (firmware version 6.1). At the time of my purchase, I was told of the operating limitations imposed on Nav / Phone system use, but my salesman explained that the Voice Command System would by-pass the touch screen restrictions and allow me to operate the system. He also told me that a software hack to get around the touch screen restrictions was available on the internet, but that he wasn't allowed to tell me any more about it.

Now, a month later, I've given up on the Voice Command System. It has yet to correctly recognize a Voice Command from me or any member of my family. For a car that costs this much, that and the lack of a "learning mode" is unexcusable. My Motorola cell phone has Voice Recognition and a learning mode, and it works fine.

I've also unsuccessfully searched for a non-destructive or non-mechanical way of by-passing the Nav / Phone operation restrictions Lexus has programmed into the system. And, I see that I am not alone in this wish.

All this leads me to ask, where is the outrage towards Toyota / Lexus that they sell customers a product that so severely limits the buyer's use of the product?

Can you imagine Boeing installing a touch screen navigation system in one of their airplanes that pilots could only use when they're parked on the ground?

Where is the outrage towards Toyota / Lexus that these restrictions have forced some into feeling they have no recourse but to cut wires under their dash? These cars cost almost $50k. Why should anyone have to do that to their car?

Doesn't Toyota / Lexus realize that their poorly crafted Voice Command System presents a greater driving distraction and potential liability? A driver trying to use the Voice Command System, without success, is going to be far more distracted and upset than someone who successfully uses the touch screen.

After the Voice Command system in-correctly interpreted my command of "Detour" and displayed all nearby POI / Italian Restaurants, I spent the next 5 minutes (while driving) struggling to delete those unwanted POIs.

I have already complained, loudly, to my dealership about this. I have no intention of stopping until Toyota / Lexus issues a FREE firmware update or fix that permits un-restricted use of the Nav / Phone system.

I also think buyers are entitled to a Voice Recognition system that actually works.

If enough of us raise a big enough stink with Toyota / Lexus about this, we might be able to get the product we want and paid for.

Can you imagine Boeing installing a touch screen navigation system in one of their airplanes that pilots could only use when they're parked on the ground?

yes i fully agree with you. the drivetrain of this car is great but the rest of the electronics is from my point of few "outdated" and offers the functionality of the early 90'th (my first handsfree system in 92 had about the same functionality).

my experiance is that speaking to lexus about this is simply waist of time. we tried hard but no success at all.

see what we did http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=33666

I hear you. I agree we should have the option of complete contol over the system, including overrides that are easy to implement and persistant.

I assume you found the button push sequence that will override the motion lockout on the Nav screen. It does not require you to cut any wires but you do need to do it each time you start the car (can't save this mode). It's cumbersome, but it does work and is doable on the fly when you need it once you memorize the pattern.

Another tip on the voice recognition. It seems to have a predispostion for putting POI on the screen but that ends when reaches the limit of (4) types. After that it seems to lower the POI priority a bit and starts to recognize other commands better, it also begins to recognize the POI OFF command ;)

My biggest gripe is the climite controls. If you just want to change the temp, there is no way to do it without messing up everything else. I nearly had an accedent the first time I tired it becuase it started blowing full force and was very loud when it kicked in the AC, maxed out the fan speed, set to recirculate, and redirected all the flow out the dash... I frantically tried to regain contol of my AC an nearly lost control of the car.

There should be some way for the user to configure what command operates what function and yes, a learning mode so that you don't have to imitate the the exact cadence, tone, and "lilt" of the canned voice in order for the car to recognize what you are saying.

In December, I bought an '07 RX400h with Nav (firmware version 6.1). At the time of my purchase, I was told of the operating limitations imposed on Nav / Phone system use, but my salesman explained that the Voice Command System would by-pass the touch screen restrictions and allow me to operate the system. He also told me that a software hack to get around the touch screen restrictions was available on the internet, but that he wasn't allowed to tell me any more about it. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

Your sales guy's fears are NOT universal. Many WILL tell you where to get the work around. Here's the thingie you need to cure your grief. Works great, and you only have to be slightly a tech dork. It took a while for ours to arrive, so if you can muster a little more patience than you have for your dealer, you'll be ok :cheers:

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

W4ABJ, those cars needs some Antennas

73's K2JRC

My Kenwood 2000 puts out 50watts on 440 and 100 throuh 160 meters. I'm afraid to run it mobile! Might blow out one of the on-board PC's don't you think? Besides, don't you think the Prius is dorky enough without the Hi-Q screwdriver antenna? :^)

I am using the new Icom 7000, 100 watts, tried it on every band using hamsticks mounted on the rear wag bar.

Running like this 17 months 18,000 miles. One of the dealers salesman is a HAM too.

I know GM uses RF test chambers with cars. I have been to detroit working with them when I used to install cameras in the Indianapolis pace cars.

My guess is Toyota does too.

Also running 50 watts on 2&440..

My Kenwood 2000 puts out 50watts on 440 and 100 throuh 160 meters. I'm afraid to run it mobile! Might blow out one of the on-board PC's don't you think? Besides, don't you think the Prius is dorky enough without the Hi-Q screwdriver antenna? :^)

The overide doesn't overide the phone from what I can tell so its still pretty annoying.

Yes, the lockpick permits full phone functionality while in motion. That's the reason I got it. Now that it's installed I can dial right off the screen while the car's in motion If you read up on it, you'll see that's one of the features they're advertising. They DO have a cheap version that only does the NAV, but you can do that over-ride your self (each time you need it) through the back door menues listed on posts here and elsewhere.

I am using the new Icom 7000, 100 watts, tried it on every band using hamsticks mounted on the rear wag bar.

Running like this 17 months 18,000 miles. One of the dealers salesman is a HAM too.

I know GM uses RF test chambers with cars. I have been to detroit working with them when I used to install cameras in the Indianapolis pace cars.

My guess is Toyota does too.

Also running 50 watts on 2&440..

Maybe I can trust it wont jeopardize our electronics ... but i KNOW my wife won't let me dork-a-fy the 400h with the Hi-Q. And the Prius with the Screwdriver? ... I would REALLY look like I should be carrying a pocket portecter :D .

I am a new Lexus owner (1st time) and just bought a 2007 RX350 with the dreaded Nav system. Like you, I was told about the override and read on this site about the funky 2006 screen press sequence.

I'm mazed Lexus has ignored this but I'm hopeful that enough disappointed owners will force them to fix it ASAP. I've complained to my dealer but nothing so far.

Thx for continuing to raise this issue.

Lockpick can't be used if you have the RES.

The overide doesn't overide the phone from what I can tell so its still pretty annoying.

Yes, the lockpick permits full phone functionality while in motion. That's the reason I got it. Now that it's installed I can dial right off the screen while the car's in motion If you read up on it, you'll see that's one of the features they're advertising. They DO have a cheap version that only does the NAV, but you can do that over-ride your self (each time you need it) through the back door menues listed on posts here and elsewhere.

Does LockPick work with the 2007 version 6 Nav (RX350)?

last I have seen no, LP doesn't work with the '07 (yet). There is info all over the net on how to create a "hybrid" nav CD by using the 5.x OS with the new 6.1 map data. Personally, I haven't done it, but many have had success.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time before someone figures out the sequence of buttons presses for the new system.

Does LockPick work with the 2007 version 6 Nav (RX350)?

Email them! Or ... you can just keep asking us ... then we tell you, "I think ... er, probably"

Sometimes we responders tell you with absolute authority ... and it's absolutely wrong :wacko:

I purchased a Lockpick from Coastaletech and went to Best Buy to do an install. I became close with the installer and it was a slower part of the day so they let me sit in the car while he installed it. Bottom line, it DID NOT work on my brand new 2007 RX400h. I sent it back to Coastaletech for return and they are hopefully processing it as we speak.

Sorry but I'm still ticked off about the nav limitation on this $50k car. You go to any aftermarket nav system and this is a no brainer. Why Lexus is being backwards is just plain stupid.

I purchased a Lockpick from Coastaletech and went to Best Buy to do an install. I became close with the installer and it was a slower part of the day so they let me sit in the car while he installed it.

Doesn't it just go between a connection under the seat?

I purchased a Lockpick from Coastaletech and went to Best Buy to do an install. I became close with the installer and it was a slower part of the day so they let me sit in the car while he installed it.

Doesn't it just go between a connection under the seat?

Not on the RX400h. You have to removed the Audio/CD/Nav units and plug the connection into the back of the nav system. Regardless, it uses the same "hack" as the Menu-->Volume-->Upper Left, etc. etc. so if u can't hack the 2007 nav models then its out of gas anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Lockpick from Coastaletech and went to Best Buy to do an install. I became close with the installer and it was a slower part of the day so they let me sit in the car while he installed it. Bottom line, it DID NOT work on my brand new 2007 RX400h. I sent it back to Coastaletech for return and they are hopefully processing it as we speak.

Sorry but I'm still ticked off about the nav limitation on this $50k car. You go to any aftermarket nav system and this is a no brainer. Why Lexus is being backwards is just plain stupid.

Fear of law suits ... everone WANTS the functionality ... and everyone wants to sue for damages when they crash into someone while programming off the MFD. If you want to drive & punch buttons ... get everyone to write your legislator ... take away products liability rules so manufacturers don't have to pay out when folks hit an overpass ... thus ending up brain dead ... with a family wanting compensation for your injuries ... and then you're good to go! ;)

As for returning the lock pick? As someone stated in the thread above, there IS a DVD hack that allows for parts of the old software to still run and thus utilize lock pick features on the newer systems ... but I guess it's a moot point if you've already returned it. Oh well.

I hear you. I agree we should have the option of complete contol over the system, including overrides that are easy to implement and persistant.

I assume you found the button push sequence that will override the motion lockout on the Nav screen. It does not require you to cut any wires but you do need to do it each time you start the car (can't save this mode). It's cumbersome, but it does work and is doable on the fly when you need it once you memorize the pattern.

Another tip on the voice recognition. It seems to have a predispostion for putting POI on the screen but that ends when reaches the limit of (4) types. After that it seems to lower the POI priority a bit and starts to recognize other commands better, it also begins to recognize the POI OFF command ;)

My biggest gripe is the climite controls. If you just want to change the temp, there is no way to do it without messing up everything else. I nearly had an accedent the first time I tired it becuase it started blowing full force and was very loud when it kicked in the AC, maxed out the fan speed, set to recirculate, and redirected all the flow out the dash... I frantically tried to regain contol of my AC an nearly lost control of the car.

There should be some way for the user to configure what command operates what function and yes, a learning mode so that you don't have to imitate the the exact cadence, tone, and "lilt" of the canned voice in order for the car to recognize what you are saying.

What is the button sequence for the navigation override? I have a GS450H

• 1 month later...

I also purchased a lockpick ultimate along with my 2007 RX400H. I'm a big BMW fan but I decided to get a RX400H for my wife once we started to look for a new replacement for the X5. I go nuts when driving this thing...no nav functionality while you drive??? come on...that isn't a safety requirement...it is restricting the features on a 50K+ vehicle. I find it retarded. I purchased the lockpick...installed it and it does a couple features out of the box...extended FM information....extended characters on XM radio....but no nav ...no bluetooth...and no dvd features....it's kinda worthless. My DVD version is 6.1....and I'm interested in that 5.1 hack...but I have no clue where to find information. The BMW sites have information all over the net but the Lexus/Toyota sites seem so much more restricted....why?? it's the internet...and we know what we are doing when we attempt to modify our vehicles....

• 10 months later...

Hi --

I could not agree more, and am equally frustrated with unsatisfactory responses from Lexus. All I want is to be able to (as the front passenger) use all Nav functions while the car is in motion. I, too, have complained to Lexus and the dealership. The Nav system remains (unhappily) unchanged.

Ron

Fear of law suits ... everone WANTS the functionality ... and everyone wants to sue for damages when they crash into someone while programming off the MFD. If you want to drive & punch buttons ... get everyone to write your legislator ... take away products liability rules so manufacturers don't have to pay out when folks hit an overpass ... thus ending up brain dead ... with a family wanting compensation for your injuries ... and then you're good to go! ;)

Sorry, but that's just a bunch of BS. Unfortunately, Toyota/Lexus lawyers subscribe to this same BS. No other company has these restrictions in place, and we haven't seen a plague of lawsuits against auto manufacturers for nav system-induced crashes.

Not to worry, though. If "RX400h" is true to form, he will be along shortly to tell us all what a piece of crap MBZ nav systems are in comparison to Lexus and how we should be thankful for what we have and it's the way it is because that's what people are asking for. :whistles:

Sorry, but that's just a bunch of BS. Unfortunately, Toyota/Lexus lawyers subscribe to this same BS. No other company has these restrictions in place, and we haven't seen a plague of lawsuits against auto manufacturers for nav system-induced crashes.

Thats not true, several other companies have the same restrictions in place. Nissan/Infiniti, Ford, all of GM to name a few.

Not to worry, though. If "RX400h" is true to form, he will be along shortly to tell us all what a piece of crap MBZ nav systems are in comparison to Lexus and how we should be thankful for what we have and it's the way it is because that's what people are asking for.

This is unrelated to the topic, but if you post one more time trying to draw RX400h or anyone else out into an altercation or make another personal attack like this, I will ban you from the forum.

Your opinion differs from his and thats fine, but if you can't disagree with others respectfully you're not welcome here.