Have Lexus Do Body Work?

Just wondering, but what's the difference between having your lexus dealer to body work vs any other autobody shop?... i mean, besides the price LOL.

I just had my rx300's rear bumper replaced & repainted at an autobody shop... and honestly, honestly CAN'T tell the difference! I mean...i'd expect at least ONE speck of dust, but i can't! :)

How can Lexus do a better job? Paint?

As far as I know, many dealers do not have "lexus owned and operated" body shops, but they rather refer your business to local shops that they feel do good work.

That being said, when I asked my local dealer what my body shop options were, they rattled off a list of several options. So I dont think there is any huge difference.

The plus side to having a competent non- lexus body shop do the work is that they will have access to aftermarket body parts.

I had my passenger side fender replaced and repainted by .....a MAACO...yes I said it...MAACO and when I recently went to the dealer to have a wheel speed sensor replaced ( as the result of the fender area damage), the tech couldn't recognize the replacement fender. He had no idea and was shocked when i told him what the area had been like before.

The paint from maaco matched and blended on my GS seamlessly and I would not have apprehension about going to a non - dealer body shop, so long as they offered a satisfactory warranty and a past record of good work.

The use of aftermarket body parts WILL lower the value of your vehicle if its newer than 7 years old. Vehicle appraisers know what to look for on body panels to see if they are original and to see if they are aftermarket. I'd never even consider repairing a car newer than 7-10 years old with aftermarket parts.

Other than that jezz hit it on the head. Most Lexus dealers do not have captive body shops, and in fact oftentimes you get better work from independent shops. The dealer shops have a steady stream of business coming from the dealership and don't need to stand on the reputation of their work to fuel their business pipeline, independent shops do. Get referrals from people you know who care about their cars and tour a couple shops before you decide, you'll be better off than using the dealer.

Thanks. That does make sense...

How about paint? Is there a "lexus" paint that's different from what the average shop uses? I know for a fact that the body shop i go to uses the same "paints" for EVERY job they do. They have a room with a WALL of paint containers. They get the code (UCAF4 for my lower trim on the rx300 & 8P4 for the upper) and the computer tells them how much & of what name to mix to get the color they need. They gave me a little bottle of touch-up & it has a label on it. This is what it says:

SERIES 295 Var. CC:

Car: LEXUS

Code: 8P4

Color: INDIGO INK-Effect

MIXED BY: REGO'S AUTO BODY

Tinting Guide

MB563 HI-LITE BLUE PEARL

MB554 TRANS. DEEP BLUE

MB574 DEEP BLACK

2000-06 E.I. du pont de Nemours and Company. All rights reserved

**NON-!Removed! Guide

Tinting Guide