Strut Pricing

Gunnut

I'm getting ready to replace the front and rear struts on my 94 LS400. I've read the tutorials and many of the posts regarding the procedure.

One common theme is that the struts should cost less than $60 each.

I'm not finding that price anywhere.

Have they more than doubled in price or am I looking in the wrong place.

Anybody have the Toyota part number for these?

Park Place Lexus online shows them at $144 each, not a pair but each.

Napa is the cheapest so far at $109 each.

I had my shop replace the struts, and they were $120 apiece (the strut)- which I thought was ridiculous (actually, I still think it is ridiculous) until, like you, I did some research and found that the prices ranged from around $100 all the way up to $145- hopefully someone else knows of a cheaper place to get them, but I couldn't find them for much cheaper either.

Blake918 had posted that he bought online from Sewell for his '95 back in May '06 .

His part numbers don't apply to a '94, but when I tried their site the list prices were similar. I don't know how he got the net prices he did. The only promo code I could find was CL911M for 10% off.

Blake918 had posted that he bought online from Sewell for his '95 back in May '06 .

His part numbers don't apply to a '94, but when I tried their site the list prices were similar. I don't know how he got the net prices he did. The only promo code I could find was CL911M for 10% off.

I guess I got lucky! I really can't remember how I got them for that price; I can't remember what I did yesterday muchless what happened in May. ;) LOL A few years ago struts would sell for $50/corner at Park Place; now all of a sudden, the prices have mysteriously sky rocketed...

I have noticed over the past few months the parts catelogs have changed a bit, and some of the sketches are actually incorrect "strut rod for 95-00 is wrong". I think something has happened with Denso, maybe a buyout coming or something like that. I also think Lexus probably had some wiz-kid analyst figure out our secret, that buying a used LS is the best way to go since the parts aren't that much more expensive than a Chevy, if you know where to shop. OR, the rest of the dealerships who don't offer such deals online, but rather charge premium have complained loud enough to corporate that the online guys have had to make some changes, or face penalties from Lexus. Eitherway, the struts have gone through the roof, or so it appears. I would call them to verify before putting full faith in the websites now, as they seem to be a bit more "hit n' miss". I bought mine for like $58 each back in 04', from Homer "Army's hookup".

Jim,

I am gearing up to do this repair also. You are sticking with OEM? I gather the other option is the KYB GR2s that are available on ebay for about $250, but some users do not like them.

Should some of the other parts in the shock assembly be changed also, like the strut mounts and strut bushings?

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

I'm getting ready to replace the front and rear struts on my 94 LS400. I've read the tutorials and many of the posts regarding the procedure.

glenmore....to answer your question simply.... yes, you should go ahead and change those two parts as well. Not that they're broken, but for the fact that since you're in there, you might as well replace them anyway. They do make a difference in the ride, or so I've heard, and quiet things down from the road. I wish I had replaced mine when I did my struts about 2 years ago. They're not that expensive, relatively speaking of course.

Jim,

I am gearing up to do this repair also. You are sticking with OEM? I gather the other option is the KYB GR2s that are available on ebay for about $250, but some users do not like them.

Should some of the other parts in the shock assembly be changed also, like the strut mounts and strut bushings?

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

I recently changed all four struts on my '96 LS400. I bought the OEM struts from irontoad.com for approx. $80 each. I also changed the strut bearings (also called the top strut mount) and the spring isolators (the big rubber boots over the strut).

Again, I bought all these parts from irontoad.com. The strut bearings were quite expensive so I just replaced the fronts, and re-used the rear strut bearings since they were still in excellent condition. But replaced all four spring isolators.

It was really a pretty easy job. I was pleasantly surprised.

Just to clarify a part name, the correct term for the big black rubber boot that protects the strut from the road grime is call the "spring insulator" not "spring isolator"