Do I Need Hub Bearings?

rich21

when im driving i hear a squeeking noise coming from the passenger rear wheel. at times while im slowing down to a stop i hear like a metal grinding noise. i shook the wheel and theres a little bit of play in it. how can you tell if its the hub bearings. would i be able to do it myself or should i have a mechanic do it? how much would it cost to have a mechanic do it?

thanks for any replies :cheers:

if you have confidence in taking ball joints off then go for it but if you dont then i would leave it to a pro. i did mine but it was a big pain to get the hubs off!! not to mention my breaker bar broke after trying to take off the axle nut!

when i felt that i had a little play with the wheel i took it off along with the caliper and rotor. i turn the akle nut to the right and it was a little loose. now am i making the right diagnosis here with the nosie and all? i took it to a mechanic and he said because of the play in the wheel and noise that its the bearings.

the axle nut should not affect the wheel being able to move around since the bearing is a press fit. although under continuous load the axle nut being too loose could and will play a role but these nuts are torqued at over 200 ft-lbs so i doubt they came loose and then messed up the bearing. when my bearing went out the nut was tight and like i said my breaker bar died trying to take the nut off. most likely the nut became loose as a result of the bearing. either way you will need to buy a new inner hub.