Synthetic Oil

Derry

wanted to ask other owners if they are using any type synthetic oil in their Lexus and if they are exceeding the 5K oil change recommendation,, noticed the oil filter on my 2005 LS430 looks rather small when compared to past cars,,

have owned Mercedes prior and they recommend synthetic as well as a longer miles before the oil changes,,

appreciate your comments,,

wanted to ask other owners if they are using any type synthetic oil in their Lexus and if they are exceeding the 5K oil change recommendation,, noticed the oil filter on my 2005 LS430 looks rather small when compared to past cars,,

have owned Mercedes prior and they recommend synthetic as well as a longer miles before the oil changes,,

Sure, i will take a bite.

Was doing 10 to 12,000 mile drain using Amsoil ASL and Amsoil SDF. This is on my ES300 1998 model. The sludge engine...ohhhhhhhhhh

Based on oil tests I have a good to clean engine.

clearshotclosehj2.jpg

clearshotti4.jpg

I do almost 100% highway driving and I use the 7500 mile service interval in my 98 LS400. I've been using Valvoline full synthetic. It runs fine and I can't see any oil loss between changes. I'm currently at 136K miles. With my driving it gets changed about every 6 weeks.

Jeff

I use Mobil synthetic in 3 cars. I don't mind the extra cost because I think of it as a little "treat" for my babies. Some will argue but I don't think there is any doubt that synthetic is a superior oil. The real question is, is it worth the extra cost? Engine failure due to the failure of the lubricant is extremely rare. Yes, you can get sludge but not with regular oil changes, even with the cheapest oils. I justify using the more expensive oil by 1) buying it on sale, COSTCO always has it at $30/6 pack. 2) DIY oil changes 3) I drive less than 10m/year, so I only change oil 2x instead of 3x a year. 4) Join Mobil One club and get $5 rebate per 6 pack.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Hi Derry,

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, then it will be worth it to run synthetic oil. Just look at mburnickas pictures of the engine opened up. That is a clean engine! I have 465,000 kilometers(289,000 miles) on my Ls400 (1991) and it burns the same amount of oil as it ever has. I use a more expensive synthetic oil (5w30) and I change it at much longer intervals than most people would. But I change the filter twice a year without fail and I use a bypass filter which I change once a year. Sure works well for me! Daffy

I am moving the thread to maintenance but it is not really needed to add another synthetic thread if you read the other 30 or so threads in general it will all make sense after collecting data on why . No matter what engine or car or climate the differences are the same.

Cost

drain interval

reduced/extended wear

performance

gas millage

sludge removal

I use motul costs $100 for a DIY oil change and i change it twice a year.

• 6 months later...

FWIW, I have 111,000 miles on the 04 RX330 and it had a steady diet of Valvoline 5w30 dino up to 100k now it gets Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 synthetic blend. No leaks, runs great still on the factory tune up. 5000 mile OCI with a toyota filter.

FWIW, I have 111,000 miles on the 04 RX330 and it had a steady diet of Valvoline 5w30 dino up to 100k now it gets Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 synthetic blend. No leaks, runs great still on the factory tune up. 5000 mile OCI with a toyota filter.

Every 5K, for me would be before my manuals states, waste of time with a dino, large ammounts of oil for me, and Toyota filter are nothing special and too high a price. I am doing 7,500 with dino now and going back to Amsoil since it is more cost effective, time saver etc.