On The Fence...help!

Louie T

Hi All,

I've been looking at new cars for awhile now. My first test drive was the Lexus ES-350 and I loved it. Then I realized it has front wheel drive, and I'm concerned with its performance in the snow. I'd prefer not to jump up to the GS class and think the IS-350 seems small.

I've looked at the Infiniti G35X (AWD) and liked it, but thought it was smaller than the ES-350. Though its a great sporty ride and has AWD.

I also test drove the Camry and Avalon. The ES-350 is fair and away nicer than both of these vehicles.

I drove the Mercedes C-350 and C-280 and thought they were overpriced and under horse powered. If anything I liked the MB E-350 but this is not worth $56K.

So I think its between the Infiniti G35X and the Lexus ES-350. Does any one have experience in driving it in the snow. The Northeast has been luck and we haven't seen more than traces at this point. Anyone in CO who has one have any experiences to share?

PLEASE HELP!!!! :wacko:

Thanks so much!!

Louie

I wouldn't be concerned, mine is fine in the snow. The trac and the VSC do a good job of keeping it under control. Its not great, but I'm comfortable driving it.

The IS350 doesn't come in AWD, only the IS250 does.

Really and truly it all boils down to tires. A good set of all seasons (they come with Michelin MXV4s which are decent in the snow) and you'll be fine.

Hi All,

I've been looking at new cars for awhile now. My first test drive was the Lexus ES-350 and I loved it. Then I realized it has front wheel drive, and I'm concerned with its performance in the snow. I'd prefer not to jump up to the GS class and think the IS-350 seems small.

I've looked at the Infiniti G35X (AWD) and liked it, but thought it was smaller than the ES-350. Though its a great sporty ride and has AWD.

I also test drove the Camry and Avalon. The ES-350 is fair and away nicer than both of these vehicles.

I drove the Mercedes C-350 and C-280 and thought they were overpriced and under horse powered. If anything I liked the MB E-350 but this is not worth $56K.

So I think its between the Infiniti G35X and the Lexus ES-350. Does any one have experience in driving it in the snow. The Northeast has been luck and we haven't seen more than traces at this point. Anyone in CO who has one have any experiences to share?

Personally I would never risk my life or the life of others driving a FWD or front torque biased AWD during the winter months. That being said Having FWD on an adverse roadbed surface is somewhat compariable to having 4WD, engine weight over the driven wheels, etc.

The problem is mostly when you want to slow or stop quickly.

Lots of progress has been made recently via changes in the shift schedules of FWD with automatic transaxles. The goal, basically, seems to be to prevent the transaxle from downshifting at all with FULL lift-throttle events and thereby incuring engine compression braking on the front wheels at possibly the worse time. It has been shown that even a slight level of engine compression braking can interfere with the anti-lock system's ability to release the braking so you can retain directional while braking.

In any case you should look into the issues with 1-2 second throttle lag and/or downshift hesitation before purchasing ANY FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle. Ford, VW, and Toyota. Toyota seems to be having the most owners with these problems, seemingly, far out in front of the other based on the number of owner complaints posted here and there on the internet.

I just recently bought a new ES350 and I had no problems with last 2 big dumps we got in CO (once I could get out of my neighborhood!) Besides my 4x4 pickup almost all of my cars have been front wheel drive and I can honestly say that they have all be been decent in the snow as I have lived in CO most of my life, including the Palmer Divide where we typically got twice as much snow as Denver. Hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

Hi All,

Thanks so much!!

Louie

As you are probably already aware there is there is vitually no torque steer in the ES350, as a matter of fact I have tried to do it and cant. I agree with the other posters, this is a fine car in the snow, the computer does a lot to help the car with VSC etc. I live in Denver and if you have been watching the news over the last few weeks you know whats happening here, snowing again today and absolutely no issues driving in with my ES. I would say this is one of the best cars I have ever driven in the snow. And contrary to what is posted here there is no issue stopping, I had to lock it up today and stopped well before I thought I would. When I drove out of the neighborhood today the snow was deep enough I scaped it all the way out, pushed some with the bumper too.

As far as hesitation if it is slippery the computer takes over and there is hesitation when you start from a stop, but you have to be aware of that, and it does it so that you wont slide or slip, it works well in my opinion. You can put the car in manual mode and you will have more control over this. I believe you can also turn off VSC and Trac but not sure. Ultimately they didnt build this as a 4WD or Truck or race car and you have to get used to driving it, its a lot different than my Sequoia or Tundra. But heck I also drive 89 T-Bird SC in the snow....and thats a sled.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you have purchased it yet or not but both cars are great, I test drove both as well.

The ES 350 is much different than Infiniti, less sporty and less gadgets, however as I am sure you know it drives incredibly smooth, assuming there is no transmission problem like mine.

In regard to snow, no car does great but it isn't worse than any other.

You can't go wrong with either car.

Infiniti in general seems to have more buttons and more options. The "Infiniti Controller" comes standard with the LCD screen and many other equivalent models from other companies such as the 5 Series come with Navigation. I still love my ES 350 and would suggest it but I would have loved to have the iDrive or Audi's equivalent.

That is really the only negative with the interior though, I think the leather is nicer than others and the wood as well.