New To Forum & Battery Change Help

Hi, I am new to the forum & would like to know if I can change the battery on my 98 GS 400 myself when the time comes for it to quit on me? Reason I ask is 'cause my last one (original with the car) lasted exactly 4 years, 1 week before my warranty runs out. And if so other than loosening/tightening/cleaning of the terminals & the battery swap is there anything else different than that with any other cars do I need to do to avoid messing up the ECU/remote memory storage/setting. etc? For I recall the dealer always asked for both of my remotes everytime when I bring the car in for service with anything involving the ECU. Thank you & glad I found this forum.

PF

Hi, I am new to the forum & would like to know if I can change the battery on my 98 GS 400 myself when the time comes for it to quit on me? Reason I ask is 'cause my last one (original with the car) lasted exactly 4 years, 1 week before my warranty runs out. And if so other than loosening/tightening/cleaning of the terminals & the battery swap is there anything else different than that with any other cars do I need to do to avoid messing up the ECU/remote memory storage/setting. etc? For I recall the dealer always asked for both of my remotes everytime when I bring the car in for service with anything involving the ECU. Thank you & glad I found this forum.

PF

I replaced the one in my 98 GS400 last January and did not do anything special. It was down to the point of not turning the engine over and I removed the dead one and placed a new one in it. Had no issues with my remotes but at start up the engine was idling oddly for a few minutes as I recall. Seemed to be doing some type of electronic adjustments. Have had no issues over the past 12 months related to electrical or remotes.

As a disclaimer, I am not a mechanic. I know there are gurus on this site and I will defer to them if their response differs from mine. Good luck.

The only thing you may lose is the radio presets and seat/mirror memory. As slate67 suspected, the idle and initial driveability may be a bit odd as the ECM reestablishes adaptive settings. Keys do not lose their programming during a battery change.

Thank you guys for I'm looking forward to doing some of the routine replacement/maintainance if at all possible since the car is way past warranty yet still has very low mileage. In fact after I posted the ? on this thread I began reading some of the other posts & ended up buying a copy of it's service manual (CD-R) off ebay.

AS a side note, any of you had test driven the IS350? I was @ my local Lexus dealership day before X'mas, they were so busy that I wandered around for over half an hour without being noticed. After squeezing a quick answer from one of the passing-by saleman about how they kept the IS in another lot away from the dealership I left & went to Infiniti.

PF