P0135 Code Duped

Lordan

Hi all,

On our 97 ES300 ( 161K ) our CEL light popped up ( and subsequently the Trac light ) . So I went down to Autozone and had them pulled the code. When he connected the scanner it said there were 2 codes and it pulled up the P0135 ( bank 1 ) and then for code 2 of 2 it pulled the same code again. I picked up an 02 sensor ( bosch ) from them and replaced it. The codes were reset and everything was fine for about 3 - 4 days when the CEL light came on again. Brought it back to have the codes pulled and same thing...2 codes pop up, both the same ( P0135 bank 1 sensor )....they gave me a new sensor but is this really the problem or should I be looking at other things ?

Thanks in advance !

since the car has three sensors (2 AF and 1 O2), which one did you replace?

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one between the engine and the firewall.

My guess is the Autozone tech told you to replace the one most visible, between the radiator and the engine (which is Bank 2 Sensor 1)?

steviej

since the car has three sensors (2 AF and 1 O2), which one did you replace?

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one between the engine and the firewall.

My guess is the Autozone tech told you to replace the one most visible, between the radiator and the engine (which is Bank 2 Sensor 1)?

steviej

Thanks for replying Stevie,

Last night on a google search I found this information out also :( ( if it was on the forum here I couldn't bring it up in a search when I tried ). So I guess my next question is....seeing I replaced bank 2 ( air/fuel ) with an o2 sensor is it the same sensor ( ie, part # ) or do I need to now pick up another sensor seeing the original bank 2 is now long gone?

Many thanks again,

Matt

Thanks for replying Stevie,

Last night on a google search I found this information out also :( ( if it was on the forum here I couldn't bring it up in a search when I tried ). So I guess my next question is....seeing I replaced bank 2 ( air/fuel ) with an o2 sensor is it the same sensor ( ie, part # ) or do I need to now pick up another sensor seeing the original bank 2 is now long gone?

Many thanks again,

Matt

I think it is a different part because the connector cable is longer on the Bank 1 sensor than on the Bank 2 sensor. My knowledge is of Denso (OEM) sensors for a 2002 ES, so I am not sure about the Bosch sensors.

I would go raise a ruckous at Autozone if they were the ones who told you to the sensor up front was Bank 1.

steviej

I think it is a different part because the connector cable is longer on the Bank 1 sensor than on the Bank 2 sensor. My knowledge is of Denso (OEM) sensors for a 2002 ES, so I am not sure about the Bosch sensors.

I would go raise a ruckous at Autozone if they were the ones who told you to the sensor up front was Bank 1.

steviej

I guess that's why I had so much extra cable :)

Am I correct in assuming that the bank near the radiator is Bank 2 and the one past the Cat is Bank 3 ? If it's correct then I know the part # was the same for both banks 1 & 2 because I almost bought both. Also Autozone doesn't even list a 3rd Bank on that model year...guess I'll inform them of it. If they are different, no biggie as they said I could return the original as a core and get my cash back.

Thanks again for all the information.

Take care,

Matt

Am I correct in assuming that the bank near the radiator is Bank 2 and the one past the Cat is Bank 3 ? If it's correct then I know the part # was the same for both banks 1 & 2 because I almost bought both. Also Autozone doesn't even list a 3rd Bank on that model year...guess I'll inform them of it. If they are different, no biggie as they said I could return the original as a core and get my cash back.

Matt

This has been covered many times but may be hard to search for.

Bank 1 is the bank of 3 cylinders next to the firewall.

Bank 2 is the bank of 3 cylinders next to the radiator.

Sensor 1 is the sensor between the exhaust manifold and the cat. converter. Each bank of cylinders has its own cat. converter. Hence the 2 specific AF sensors (Bank 1-Sensor 1 and Bank 2-Sensor 1)

Sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat. converter. Depending on the year, there may be one or two of these sensors. Your ES may have only 1. My 02 ES has 2 (Bank 1-Sensor 2 and Bank 2-Sensor 2).

There is no Bank 3, it is a 6 cylinder not a 9 cylinder engine.

steviej

Matt

This has been covered many times but may be hard to search for.

Bank 1 is the bank of 3 cylinders next to the firewall.

Bank 2 is the bank of 3 cylinders next to the radiator.

Sensor 1 is the sensor between the exhaust manifold and the cat. converter. Each bank of cylinders has its own cat. converter. Hence the 2 specific AF sensors (Bank 1-Sensor 1 and Bank 2-Sensor 1)

Sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat. converter. Depending on the year, there may be one or two of these sensors. Your ES may have only 1. My 02 ES has 2 (Bank 1-Sensor 2 and Bank 2-Sensor 2).

There is no Bank 3, it is a 6 cylinder not a 9 cylinder engine.

steviej

I know, talked about many times but I think I might even print that out! LOL