Transmission Question

lexrx3

Reading about all the trans failures is scary and it appears that most are years 99 & 00. So heres the question. I have a 01 RX 300 with 38,000 on it and is running well. When cold the trans appears to hesitate when I coast but then acelerate. Since I'm still under the powertrain warranty would it be wise to take it to the dealer for them to look at? Would there be a benefit in doing so or is this the result of the modification made to the trans for 01 models and that is now normal. Do I gain anything by having the dealer look at it which at the very least registers a transmission complaint of sort? Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated.

My '01 doesn't do anything like that at 54K. Of course, cold in Texas isn't the same as cold in NJ. :) Or are you talking about cold as in not warmed up?

At any rate, have it checked out. Have you ever had the fluid changed?

Just cold as in not warmed up. I just had ATF changed and will do it every 15,000. Its really just a slight hesitation which I notice when I slightly coast to the end of my drive and then begin to accelerate. Do you feel this also when not warmed up? Not noticeable as long as I don't acelerate hard and not noticeable when warmed up. I believe I read a reference to this in another post in that its a result of the modification made to the earlier transmission problem but I'm not sure. It just may be scaring me because of all the trans problems talked about in earlier models. Thanks for your feedback.

My '01 doesn't do anything like that at 54K. Of course, cold in Texas isn't the same as cold in NJ. :) Or are you talking about cold as in not warmed up?

At any rate, have it checked out. Have you ever had the fluid changed?

Just cold as in not warmed up. I just had ATF changed and will do it every 15,000. Its really just a slight hesitation which I notice when I slightly coast to the end of my drive and then begin to accelerate. Do you feel this also when not warmed up? Not noticeable as long as I don't acelerate hard and not noticeable when warmed up. I believe I read a reference to this in another post in that its a result of the modification made to the earlier transmission problem but I'm not sure. It just may be scaring me because of all the trans problems talked about in earlier models. Thanks for your feedback.

You should check, or have someone check, the condition of your ATF, Automatic Transaxle Fluid.

At ~40,000 miles mine was smelling burned and looked somewhat dirty (2001 AWD RX300. Changed it out and now at ~60,000 it still looks prestine, mostly.

I have no hesitation of any sort. Could your hesitation be fuel related?

Has happened for awhile with any fuel. I guess I should have it looked at by the dealer. Maybe the transaxle fluid should be changed too. Powertrain warranty is still in effect so I guess I'm covered on the transmission?

Your description matches, exactly, the one for most Toyota FWD vehicles wherein the owner is complaining of a 1-2 second throttle lag or transaxle downshift delay/hesitation.

The problem is that to my knowledge no one with a mechanical gas pedal to throttle valve connection like your 01 RX300 has ever before made this complaint.

My 2001 AWD RX300 exhibits the "bumped from behind" and "slingshot effect" symptoms as a result of the transaxle's always upshifting upon full lift throttle events ("coasting") but in my 60,000 miles of driving the only hesitation I experience is if I try to accelerate, WOT, into a tight turn. I attribute that effect to the VSC's anti-rollover firmware.

I have little doubt that the premature transaxle failures of the 99 RX300 and possibly the '00 models are the result of the new "safer" transaxle shift schedule. But I also believe that Toyota used a higher capacity ATF pump in the '01 models to help alleviate the failures encountered in the earlier models but pumping more fluid constantly leads to the ATF overheating.

Be sure and check your fluid condition and make sure you're not a quart or two low...

Your description matches, exactly, the one for most Toyota FWD vehicles wherein the owner is complaining of a 1-2 second throttle lag or transaxle downshift delay/hesitation.

The problem is that to my knowledge no one with a mechanical gas pedal to throttle valve connection like your 01 RX300 has ever before made this complaint.

My 2001 AWD RX300 exhibits the "bumped from behind" and "slingshot effect" symptoms as a result of the transaxle's always upshifting upon full lift throttle events ("coasting") but in my 60,000 miles of driving the only hesitation I experience is if I try to accelerate, WOT, into a tight turn. I attribute that effect to the VSC's anti-rollover firmware.

I have little doubt that the premature transaxle failures of the 99 RX300 and possibly the '00 models are the result of the new "safer" transaxle shift schedule. But I also believe that Toyota used a higher capacity ATF pump in the '01 models to help alleviate the failures encountered in the earlier models but pumping more fluid constantly leads to the ATF overheating.

Be sure and check your fluid condition and make sure you're not a quart or two low...

wwwest, thanks for your response. It is similiar to what I have read elsewhere. What I don't know is provided fluid is full and in good condition is this considered normal? Fluid only has a couple thousand on it and its still in good condition. Its a 'lag" upon accelerating right after coasting particulary noticeable when the engine isn't fully warmed up yet.

You say the transaxle "hesitates", does the engine over-rev when that happens?

wwwest, thanks for your response. It is similiar to what I have read elsewhere. What I don't know is provided fluid is full and in good condition is this considered normal? Fluid only has a couple thousand on it and its still in good condition. Its a 'lag" upon accelerating right after coasting particulary noticeable when the engine isn't fully warmed up yet.

All the seals inside the transaxle, and there are lots of them, will leak more with the transaxle cold than they will with it heated to operational temperature. It would be unusual for the seals in your transaxle to be worn and leaking enough at 40,000 miles to prevent a quick, satisfactory, downshift when you reapply pressure to the gas pedal but that does sound as if that is what is happening.

Now I'm wondering if maybe Lexus did a running production change and I was lucky enough to get the high capacity ATF pump and you were not. Do you know your manufacture date? Did you buy it brand new?

All the seals inside the transaxle, and there are lots of them, will leak more with the transaxle cold than they will with it heated to operational temperature. It would be unusual for the seals in your transaxle to be worn and leaking enough at 40,000 miles to prevent a quick, satisfactory, downshift when you reapply pressure to the gas pedal but that does sound as if that is what is happening.

Now I'm wondering if maybe Lexus did a running production change and I was lucky enough to get the high capacity ATF pump and you were not. Do you know your manufacture date? Did you buy it brand new?

The car was manf. 2/01. I bought it used with 32,000 on it. I did find the dealer where the car was serviced and I was able to see nothing major was ever wrong with the car and it had been serviced per schedule. I hope I'm just being overly "anal" about it. I'm also thinking that if your driveway did not have the slight decline that mine has you would not even notice the hesitation. This is before the engine is fully warmed up. I come to the end of my drive with my foot off the gas and then begin to accelerate. Thats when I notice the slight hesitation. As I said, w/o the decline you probably wouldn't notice it. Please tell me its nothing and its normal.

The car was manf. 2/01. I bought it used with 32,000 on it. I did find the dealer where the car was serviced and I was able to see nothing major was ever wrong with the car and it had been serviced per schedule. I hope I'm just being overly "anal" about it. I'm also thinking that if your driveway did not have the slight decline that mine has you would not even notice the hesitation. This is before the engine is fully warmed up. I come to the end of my drive with my foot off the gas and then begin to accelerate. Thats when I notice the slight hesitation. As I said, w/o the decline you probably wouldn't notice it. Please tell me its nothing and its normal.

With your more complete, detailed description it does sound as if your 01 is NOT subject to what is understood to be a somewhat widespread problem with 1-2 second downshift hesitation in 04 and later models. And yes, I do not have an incline at the foot of our driveway, the opposite actually, so I cannot tell you if my 01 acts the same.

With your more complete, detailed description it does sound as if your 01 is NOT subject to what is understood to be a somewhat widespread problem with 1-2 second downshift hesitation in 04 and later models. And yes, I do not have an incline at the foot of our driveway, the opposite actually, so I cannot tell you if my 01 acts the same.

Thanks for all your feedback. As I said, I may be a little too concerned about nothing. You also sound extremely knowledgeable about the vehicle. Do you work with these cars? Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading about all the trans failures is scary and it appears that most are years 99 & 00. So heres the question. I have a 01 RX 300 with 38,000 on it and is running well. When cold the trans appears to hesitate when I coast but then acelerate. Since I'm still under the powertrain warranty would it be wise to take it to the dealer for them to look at? Would there be a benefit in doing so or is this the result of the modification made to the trans for 01 models and that is now normal. Do I gain anything by having the dealer look at it which at the very least registers a transmission complaint of sort? Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have a 99 RX300 with 125000KM. I've had EXACTLY the same symptoms as you've described, only its very infrequent - but perhaps more pronounced. Four times over the last year, I start the engine, coast down the hill, and when I accelerate at the bottom, my tranny hesitates/clunks/grinds. It becomes "normal" once I reach operating temperature. On the second incident, I took it to the dealership, but they were unable to reproduce the problem. On the third incident, I left the truck overnight with the dealership, but again, they could not reproduce. (As I've said, its happened only the four times, so I can understand the dillema...on the fourth time, I didn't bother.)

I live on a long hill, a few hundred yards/meters up. I've had it happen in both the summer and the winter. On two of the occasions, I had started the car and left it idling for several minutes, not long enough for the temp needle to go a past halfway though. (In both cases, the clunking was VERY harsh.)

I've had the truck since new, 100% dealer serviced. They've did a drain and fill on the tranny fluids every 24000KM. Tranny fluid always has and still looks fine.

If anyone can suggest a course of action or provide any information, it would be greatly appreciated.