Happy New Year

denslexusgx470

:whistles: aaahhh, dare I ask......whah happen?

Have a safe and happy 2007.

steviej

I hope noone was hurt, HAPPY NEW YEAR :cheers: If it was the worst then it can only get better............

Thanks for everyone's concerns. No one got hurt, but someTHING got hurt. Here's the story.

So I was going to wash the Ody since it had been raining a lot last week. The 4Runner was outside so I backed it out of the driveway. I notice this Chevy Colorado driving quite fast around the bend (my street's in a circle so it's sometimes hard to see around the bend when driving fast) and I wanted to be on the safe side by backing up faster and more, so I would cross the street and my car would be on the other side in case the truck didn't stop or see me. Turns out that I backed into this green tall electric box, and crumpled my 4Runner's bumper. All I heard from the cabin was a "cruuuck" and I quickly pulled forward and checked it out. It turned out worse than what I was thinking. I was thinking (and hoping) that only my hitch hit the box and that would be scratched up, or hoping the box went under my bumper (since the 4Runner has a big ground clearance) and possibly scratch under my bumper. It turns out that it crumpled my left corner of the bumper. I quickly parked it in my garage and laid down on my back and crawled under the car to try to push it back out. I even took a hammer and tried to hammer it out. No luck. There aren't even major scratches, just a crumple. If it could be pushed out perfectly w/o any deformities or anything, the small scratches could easily be buffed out. But I'm guessing the only way to meet my standards is to have the whole thing replaced and I'll pay for it out of my pocket (since it'll be a pain in the !Removed! to deal with insurance). Luckily it didn't damage anything behind the bumper as the part that crumpled in was a hollow part and there was nothing behind it.

Now my back really hurts as I wasn't in the best position when I went under the car and tried to push the crumple out. I also have a big bruise on my arm because my arm was hitting some metal thing when i was banging on the bumper (in which I didn't even pay attention to it when I was hitting the bumper).

But the main part is, No one is hurt. I saved that idiot's car by wrecking mine into a electric box instead of him rear ending me. <_< <_< :chairshot:

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

The stupid box

DSC01299.jpg

P.S. Does anyone know of a website where I can check the price of a new bumper? I tried searching the web but couldn't find an 06 4Runner bumper. I only found an 05. :chairshot:

lol is that the government's electrical box? perhaps you should try to placew it back...

it doesnt even look like the type of thing that can crumple a bumper...but you never know i guess

man i have a bad headache this morning B) happy new year!

Yes I know it doesn't seem like it could crumple it, but oh well. The wait time is what's making me mad right now. Wasted one day because shops are closed due to being Jan 1st and hopefully the wait time won't be too long once I get it to the shop. Now I really have to be careful in where I go in the 4Runner so people that are picky like me won't see me. <_<

Yes I know it doesn't seem like it could crumple it, but oh well. The wait time is what's making me mad right now. Wasted one day because shops are closed due to being Jan 1st and hopefully the wait time won't be too long once I get it to the shop. Now I really have to be careful in where I go in the 4Runner so people that are picky like me won't see me. <_<

Hey, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The good news is that your crumple really is easy to fix. I've had several friends crumple their bumper exactly the same way. What you need to do is, if possible take of bumper to make it REALLY easy. If you take off the bumper, what you do is heat up the crumple with a heat gun and with a hammer or anything really, push it back out. It will pop back out to almost perfect condition. If you dont take off your bumper you can basically do the same thing. Heat it up and from the back, with any tool just apply pressure untill it pops back out. Hope this helps. I know i've done this 4 times so far, so it definatly does work. Good Luck!

95_SC400

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. But as i did mention, to meet my standards I need a replacement bumper. I actually found two little cracks underneath the bumper so that's it for me.

I am really getting anxious towards the openning time of the body shops I have in mind, and crossing fingers that it will be less than $1 grand for a new painted bumper. :cries:

95_SC400

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. But as i did mention, to meet my standards I need a replacement bumper. I actually found two little cracks underneath the bumper so that's it for me.

I am really getting anxious towards the openning time of the body shops I have in mind, and crossing fingers that it will be less than $1 grand for a new painted bumper. :cries:

Well up to you of course, but i think its worth a try to at least try and see how well you can fix it. Maybe you can even get it out to perfect condition. After all, it is free, so why not at least try. You can always go and buy a bumper. Good luck with your search and fix.

Whomping $805. I agreed to my parents I'd pay for half, so my bank acct will be $400 less :cries: :wacko: .

I don't want to sound stubborn, but what is a heat gun? I'm not a real handy man. Now the wait time is making me go crazy. Roughly maybe get my baby fixed by Wed next week, hopefully.

This will be a "two birds with one stone" deal now because the dealer that's replacing my scratched rim, also has the body shop that I'm having my baby fixed. Boy it looks so ugly with that crumple. :( :(