Tested Is350 & Bmw Comments Need Help Deciding

Hey everyone,

I've been studying this forum for some time now and am ready to decide on IS350 or 328 or 335 BMW. I have test drove at least once. The inifiti G35 once (1 time too many) and have my comments below. I have pros and cons on both. Please tell me your thoughts to my comments below;

I drove the IS350 today (my second time) and the engine sounded terrible! It was practically dieseiling. My brother asked the sales guy, which said it was normal. My first test drive had a very quiet idle. Could be an isolated incident, not sure. The two biggest drawbacks on the IS350 are the fake feeling steptronic shift delays. Also the roofline is a little too low. I'm 6'0" and could not see if the traffic light had turned green, I had to duck my head to look. I tried to lower the seat as far as it would go too. Right now I'm about 50/50 IS350 vs 328 or 335. See below

IS350

PRO: 1. Good power

2. Extremely quiet, at least on my first test drive

CON: 1. Low roof line. Even with the seat all the way down, i could not see if the light turns green (I'm 6'0")

2. Shiftronic tranny is surprisingly fake feeling. Too much delay between me hitting the shift button and the tranny shifting. I think the computer is involved a little too much.

3. Handling (corners) is a little too soft, but I didn't try the Xpack with suspension.

4. No realtime XM traffic available for the nav? that's pretty lame.

BMW 335

PRO: 1. Amazing power

2. Fantastic handling

3. very quiet cabin

CON: 1. Very expensive. I couldn't afford navigation.

2. I'm not very familiar with BMW

3. BMW twin turbo? I don't want to be a ginnipig

4. Dash is plain compaired to the IS

BMW 328i

PRO: 1. Power was good (not as good as IS350 but def better than IS250

2. Superior handling

3. Very quiet cabin

CON: 1. Not enough power maybe? (230HP)

2. Pretty boring dash compaired to the IS

Infiniti G35 sedan

PRO: 1. Had some really good power

CON: 1. too much road noise

2. Car felt cheap

3. Goofy shift-tronic type tranny (very quirky)

4. Too much emphasis on sport and not enough on luxury

5. It's a nissan so there's too many problems.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

I just went through the same evaluation as you are now going through. I am very familiar with both BMW and Infiniti. My last car was a 2006 Infiniti M45 sport and prior to that a 2003 BMW 530i sport w/ 5-speed (plus full Dinan treatment). While the M45 was very powerful, I missed the handling and general fun-to-drive that my old BMW provided me. Therefore I evaluated both the 335i and IS350 as a replacement car (didn’t consider the 2007 G35). In the end, and it was a difficult decision, I decided on the IS350.

335i Pros

• Very fast (faster than the IS350 at any speed)

• Better steering feel

• Better handling (maybe)

• Less computer interaction (even with DSC enabled)

• More responsive automatic transmission

• I’m still a BMW CCA member, rebate from factory with new sale

• More rear seat and cargo room

335i Cons

• Dash looks dated (even though the design is new)

• More expensive compared to the Lexus (option for option)

• A lot of them on the roads (not exactly an exclusive car)

IS350 Pros

• Much nicer interior

• Lexus service (heck they delivered the car to my house)

• A bit more exclusive (at least here in the New England area)

• Fast enough

• Greater amount of comforts (cooled seats, camera, etc)

• Decent price for content (paid around $39,800 with a list of $44,400)

IS350 Cons

• Smaller backseat

• Fun to drive but not a true drivers car like the BMW (not sure if this is truly a con)

• Low roof line

In the end the BMW 335i would’ve cost me $45k vs. under $40k for the Lexus. The price for the BMW would’ve jumped another $2k with the navigation system which is cumbersome to use (at best). If performance was the only goal the BMW would’ve been the logical choice. This is based on the availability of a manual plus the combination of engine, steering and handling. BMW simply has this formula solved. However, for me, performance was not the only requirement. The Lexus offered enough performance plus excelled in comforts and “toys” and with a lower price that it swayed my decision to the IS350.

I never considered either the 328 or IS250. After driving a car with 335 hp and 350 ft torque, I needed a car with similar output.

I received my IS350 on Friday. It is the Smokey Mica w/ gray interior. Luxury package w/ 18” wheels, Nav, rear spoiler, park assist, 3M protection and accessories. I just ordered the i-Pod kit from Dension USA.

Good luck with your decision!

Regards,

Chris

Hey everyone,

I've been studying this forum for some time now and am ready to decide on IS350 or 328 or 335 BMW. I have test drove at least once. The inifiti G35 once (1 time too many) and have my comments below. I have pros and cons on both. Please tell me your thoughts to my comments below;

I drove the IS350 today (my second time) and the engine sounded terrible! It was practically dieseiling. My brother asked the sales guy, which said it was normal. My first test drive had a very quiet idle. Could be an isolated incident, not sure. The two biggest drawbacks on the IS350 are the fake feeling steptronic shift delays. Also the roofline is a little too low. I'm 6'0" and could not see if the traffic light had turned green, I had to duck my head to look. I tried to lower the seat as far as it would go too. Right now I'm about 50/50 IS350 vs 328 or 335. See below

IS350

PRO: 1. Good power

2. Extremely quiet, at least on my first test drive

CON: 1. Low roof line. Even with the seat all the way down, i could not see if the light turns green (I'm 6'0")

2. Shiftronic tranny is surprisingly fake feeling. Too much delay between me hitting the shift button and the tranny shifting. I think the computer is involved a little too much.

3. Handling (corners) is a little too soft, but I didn't try the Xpack with suspension.

4. No realtime XM traffic available for the nav? that's pretty lame.

BMW 335

PRO: 1. Amazing power

2. Fantastic handling

3. very quiet cabin

CON: 1. Very expensive. I couldn't afford navigation.

2. I'm not very familiar with BMW

3. BMW twin turbo? I don't want to be a ginnipig

4. Dash is plain compaired to the IS

BMW 328i

PRO: 1. Power was good (not as good as IS350 but def better than IS250

2. Superior handling

3. Very quiet cabin

CON: 1. Not enough power maybe? (230HP)

2. Pretty boring dash compaired to the IS

Infiniti G35 sedan

PRO: 1. Had some really good power

CON: 1. too much road noise

2. Car felt cheap

3. Goofy shift-tronic type tranny (very quirky)

4. Too much emphasis on sport and not enough on luxury

5. It's a nissan so there's too many problems.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Regarding the Low Roof Line - Ceiling Height, I am also 6' and found that by lowering the seat all the way down I eliminated the issues you mention. These seems obvious, yet took acouple of tries adjusting the seat to get things just perfect. I no longer have any issue with the ceiling height.

I also looked at the BMW's before purchasing the IS. I always try to test drive a used model that is 3 to 4 years old (when available) to see what the car will be like when used. I found the used (2004) BWM 328 to be somewhat noisy. It did not have the "soild feel" anymore, road bumps were no longer soft "thuds", but loud "clunks". This might be the trade off between Lexus trying the blend handling and ride comfort, with BMW concentrating on handling.

Most of my driving is highway so I mainly let the transmission do the shifting.

In the end it was the high cost of the BMW's that killed them for me. I just did not see the value when comparied to the Lexus. Just my opinion...

Have fun with whatever you decide! :D

I also looked at these cars. The only things that I'd add to the above is that Lexus has a strong reputation for quality. If you keep your cars for a long time, I'd lean toward the Lexus. Especially compared to the 335, with the first BMW turbo engine in 20 years. Yikes! The 328 is a safer bet in this regard.

On the other hand, I found the BMW to be more practical with the bigger, folding back seat. Although the BMW has a more plain interior, the Lexus has a few surprisinging disappointments that the BMW doesn't. I tested the IS350 at night, and was shocked that many of the secondary controls aren't lit. And the buttons on the doors are lit only with little dots, so you can't tell them apart visually. Also, I liked the BMW's uniform interior lighting scheme better than the IS's mish-mash of blues, whites, and greens.

BMW has a few gadgets that the Lexus doesn't. These include the electronic blinker stalk, the auto-drying / fade-compensating brakes, and the cooled cup holder. At least the Lexus has ventilated seats, more useful cupholders, and a touch screen.

By the way, the engine noise you heard outside the car was probably the ticking of the direct injection. I've heard that all direct injection systems make this sound.

My final opinion is that the IS350 is a better bargain and a safer choice in terms of reliability, but the BMW is a better car.

My final opinion is that the IS350 is a better bargain and a safer choice in terms of reliability, but the BMW is a better car.

looked at the BMW's as well...would only add that while the BMW is very nice, the Lexus is more of a luxury car, and while the Lexus is a fantastic car to drive, the 335 is more of a driver's car. You can't go wrong with either the 350 or the 335.

I absolutely love my 350, but have some regrets about not buying the 335, it's a tough decision.