94 Gs300 Replacing Gasket On Lower Oil Pan

I took my car to my mechanic and they informed me that there are two oil pans (a small oil pan attached to larger oil pan that is attached to the engine). The oil leak is coming from the small oil pan which is on the bottom. There is a piece of suspension that may block the lower pan if it is removed. It looks tight. I wanted to know if anyone had attempted and/or suceeded in replacing the gasket on the lower oil pan? The mechanic quoted me a price of $400 to replace the gasket on the lower oil pan.

The oil pan will come off and it is tight. The hardest part is getting the gasket to stay in place. Here's the trick I use: Get some very fine bailing wire (something like arts and crafts people use), then use 6 inch pieces to loosely attach the gasket to the oil pan. Tie the wires like you find on a loaf of bread with the twists facing to the outside of the oil pan. Put a piece of wire in at least every other hole if not every one. Once you get the pan in place, remove one piece of wire and put a bolt in just a few turns or so. Then proceed to do this until you have all bolts started in thier holes.

The oil pan will come off and it is tight. The hardest part is getting the gasket to stay in place. Here's the trick I use: Get some very fine bailing wire (something like arts and crafts people use), then use 6 inch pieces to loosely attach the gasket to the oil pan. Tie the wires like you find on a loaf of bread with the twists facing to the outside of the oil pan. Put a piece of wire in at least every other hole if not every one. Once you get the pan in place, remove one piece of wire and put a bolt in just a few turns or so. Then proceed to do this until you have all bolts started in thier holes.

Thank you for the information. I will do so within a couple of weeks if I luck out and get a warm weekend.