White Particles On Dash

There are white particles that get on dash. They seem to be comming from the defrost vent. Lexus changed filter behind glove box to paper type as they believed the other type was deteriorating. This has not resolved the problem.

A/C, heat usually runs on re-circulate. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks

Sort of, Where I park my car in NYC even though I ask the parking attendants NOT to open my windows. I see they are open when I PU my car. I have found opening the windows is normal for them, The reason is many cars have passive alarms and may lock when you walk away, hence the keys are inside as that is where they are often left.

I have to get a cutout switch put in to prohibit them from opening my windows. You would be suprised how much dust is floating around these garages. My new car smell was gone in 3 weeks.....

Sort of, Where I park my car in NYC even though I ask the parking attendants NOT to open my windows. I see they are open when I PU my car. I have found opening the windows is normal for them, The reason is many cars have passive alarms and may lock when you walk away, hence the keys are inside as that is where they are often left.

I have to get a cutout switch put in to prohibit them from opening my windows. You would be suprised how much dust is floating around these garages. My new car smell was gone in 3 weeks.....

They say that new car smell causes cancer so be glad it was gone :) They don't even use the same chemicals in Japan, they use them here because we like the smell of death :(

You would be suprised how much dust is floating around these garages. My new car smell was gone in 3 weeks.....

Then again, you live in New York...... :rolleyes: (I can joke about it because I was born in Queens!)

You would be suprised how much dust is floating around these garages. My new car smell was gone in 3 weeks.....

Then again, you live in New York...... :rolleyes: (I can joke about it because I was born in Queens!)

Ah Yes New York, I was in San francisco for the last Earthquake(Candlestick park). New York aint so bad eh...

Ah Yes New York, I was in San francisco for the last Earthquake(Candlestick park). New York aint so bad eh...

Hey, I live in San Diego - BIG difference, there! I did visit San Francisco once and didn't care for it - too cold!

They say that new car smell causes cancer so be glad it was gone :) They don't even use the same chemicals in Japan, they use them here because we like the smell of death :(

Theres been no definitive proof of this, but cars sold in Japan are assembled exactly the same way as cars sold here are and have the same new car smell. The "new car smell" comes from the offgassing of plastics, polymers, and glues in the construction of the car. The difference with Japanese cars is that the Japanese find the smell of leather offensive, thats why leather isn't as fragrant in Japanese cars as it is in American or German cars.

I have traveled to many states, I too love san-diego, perhaps in another life where my roots aren't in the NE.

Hey, I live in San Diego - BIG difference, there! I did visit San Francisco once and didn't care for it - too cold!

You are a very honest man! I lived in the NE for 27 years. After visiting Southern CA and telling everyone of what I encountered, almost all tried to convince me that the change of seasons far outweighed the beautiful weather. Only one person admitted that he would move in a heatbeat if he hadn't established roots already.

He was another honest man.

• 2 months later...

There are white particles that get on dash. They seem to be comming from the defrost vent. Lexus changed filter behind glove box to paper type as they believed the other type was deteriorating. This has not resolved the problem.

Thanks

Hi,

Did you ever find the source of this? I noticed it in my vehicle last night. White particles over the dash/console etc... The windows are always up at this point given the weather in New England is still cold. So I don't think it came from an external source.

Jim

Thanks

Hi,

Did you ever find the source of this? I noticed it in my vehicle last night. White particles over the dash/console etc... The windows are always up at this point given the weather in New England is still cold. So I don't think it came from an external source.

Jim

Jim.

My windows are also up all of the time and the particles come out through the defrost vent. They thought it was a filter disintegrating.

They have changed out the filter with a paper filter, cleaned the ducts but have not resolved the problem.

The weather has warmed up here and the defrost is not coming on and there are no particles unless I manually turn on defrost.

I will let you know when resloved.

Jim

Jim.

My windows are also up all of the time and the particles come out through the defrost vent. They thought it was a filter disintegrating.

They have changed out the filter with a paper filter, cleaned the ducts but have not resolved the problem.

The weather has warmed up here and the defrost is not coming on and there are no particles unless I manually turn on defrost.

I will let you know when resloved.

Jim

Great! Thanks!

I just noticed today the white dust on the dash. Car was washed 4 days ago and the dash was clean then. Windows have been closed. My garage is a two car garage behind my house, no white dust there.

Thanks

Hi,

Jim

I was at the dealer today. Showed them the context here and my white particles.

They said they did not know where it was coming from. Then said perhaps if there is a TSB they will be able to fix the problem.

Very dissapointed.

What shall we do next?

in reading the posts its hard for me to tell exactly the size and description of the particles you are all talking about, is it like dust, is it the size of a grain of sand, is it flake like? I see dust and particulate matter on my black dash everyday to the point where i keep a small swiffer dust brush between the front seats to keep the dash clean. my question is how do these white particles differ from environmental dust, pollen and dirty air that is carried into the car???

you know what guys! i have a theory about that white dust. No matter what i do, there is always white dust on my dash and i think ive narrowed it down.

EVERYONE HAS IT. whether or not you notice it, there are billions of dust particles in the air and they will eventually settle down on top of some surfaces. Now you ask where could all this dust come from. from our clothes, bodies, the air in general.

but the number 1 factor is....*drummer roll* your tissue box. Yes, such a common thing. I want you to look into the air when you pull out a tissue box anywhere, even in your house. You will see the dust particles just flying out everywhere. So, that is whats on your dash.

sorry for the sarcasm.

personally, i have changed to hypoallergenic tissues which do not have this problem. i recommend them. this also makes sense since you guys noticed this in the winter when its cold and when people sneeze more often.

nobel peace prize here i come!

in reading the posts its hard for me to tell exactly the size and description of the particles you are all talking about, is it like dust, is it the size of a grain of sand, is it flake like? I see dust and particulate matter on my black dash everyday to the point where i keep a small swiffer dust brush between the front seats to keep the dash clean. my question is how do these white particles differ from environmental dust, pollen and dirty air that is carried into the car???

Don't make me go out there :chairshot:

Alright, so I did. I ran my fan on high and went thru all the vent settings including defrost and examined the surface of my dash for what was flushed out.

There was some sand like grains (white/beige) that were hard to the touch and solid. These probably came from the camping trip last fall.

There was a fiber about .25 long that could have been from anything I've ever worn while in the vehicle or from the carpet.

There was a black bit of plastic dust like what would be generated in a trimming operation, probably from the original assembly operations (I've rarely used the high fan setting).

Then there was this little white bit. Under magnification it has a lattace structure (3D grid pattern). Could easily be part of the filter element. The 4 shots were taken in a clockwise rotation around the object. I had to move the light source, so don't be fooled by that... look at the simulated woodgrain of the desk surface for reference.

You can clearly see the gridlike geometry in the last shot.

Enjoy.

post-17497-1175377253_thumb.jpg

post-17497-1175377267_thumb.jpg

post-17497-1175377283_thumb.jpg

post-17497-1175377298_thumb.jpg

looks like it was left over from that styrofoam party we had in your car

Hardy Har Har!! Maybe we need some Head and Shoulders!

Seriously folks, I think it may have been pieces of the cabin air filter in my case. It happened a couple times on mine but it hasn't reoccured in a week or more. One piece that landed in the front cup holder, looked like a thin piece of white cloth about an eighth of an inch wide by three eighths of an inch long. At the same time, there was a spattering of white flakes about the size of that fake plastic snow on the dash area. Probably fifty of them if I had to guess...

I ended up pulling out the cabin air filter last weekend just to take a look at it... It looked normal to me. I haven't seen any white particles since. The filter element wasn't desintegrating or anything like that. I had a little difficulty getting the plastic pins to come out that allow the glovebox door to drop down. I think I was trying to turn them both out counterclockwise and found out that one needs to be turned clockwise and the other counterclockwise. I messed up the pins and plastic stops on the inside sides of the glovebox a little in the process.

Jim

No tissues in my car since I ran out weeks ago. Twice in 4 days wiped the dash clean, then saw the dust again.

you know what guys! i have a theory about that white dust. No matter what i do, there is always white dust on my dash and i think ive narrowed it down.

EVERYONE HAS IT. whether or not you notice it, there are billions of dust particles in the air and they will eventually settle down on top of some surfaces. Now you ask where could all this dust come from. from our clothes, bodies, the air in general.

but the number 1 factor is....*drummer roll* your tissue box. Yes, such a common thing. I want you to look into the air when you pull out a tissue box anywhere, even in your house. You will see the dust particles just flying out everywhere. So, that is whats on your dash.

sorry for the sarcasm.

personally, i have changed to hypoallergenic tissues which do not have this problem. i recommend them. this also makes sense since you guys noticed this in the winter when its cold and when people sneeze more often.

nobel peace prize here i come!

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem with the little white things whatever they are.

I was at the dealer on Friday to show them and they are going to call the tech. guy in Lexus to see if they know anything about it

and how to fix it.

I have some pictures I will try to attach here.

post-29707-1182132276_thumb.jpg

post-29707-1182132289_thumb.jpg

post-29707-1182132300_thumb.jpg

post-29707-1182132308_thumb.jpg

post-29707-1182132317_thumb.jpg

post-29707-1182132328_thumb.jpg