Trying To Install Stereo

Hello everyone im new to this board and this is the first foreign car I own so maybe you guys could help me out. It’s a 1993 Lexus GS300. Im trying to install a stereo with a cd player and cant seem to find a wiring harness. I already have this nice Sony cd player that I want to put in because I’ve got a long commute to school and the radio isnt any good. I already bought the install kit which looks great. The audio shop said he doesn’t carry the wiring harness and I cant seem to find it online. I don’t get it they make the install kit but no wiring? Has anyone on the board installed a new stereo? Any help is appreciated since i already have the old stereo out and was hoping to get it running by Tuesday.

Thanks in advance

John

Hello everyone im new to this board and this is the first foreign car I own so maybe you guys could help me out. It’s a 1993 Lexus GS300. Im trying to install a stereo with a cd player and cant seem to find a wiring harness. I already have this nice Sony cd player that I want to put in because I’ve got a long commute to school and the radio isnt any good. I already bought the install kit which looks great. The audio shop said he doesn’t carry the wiring harness and I cant seem to find it online. I don’t get it they make the install kit but no wiring? Has anyone on the board installed a new stereo? Any help is appreciated since i already have the old stereo out and was hoping to get it running by Tuesday.

Thanks in advance

John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=120068708494

or maybe this one: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php...=437&page=1 you can try to email these guys if u cant tell by looking at it... they seem to have all harnesses available....

Thanks Lnino

I e-mailed autotoys last night and they said they didn’t have anything that would fit my car but that ebay link looks promising. The back of my stereo has the two connection which they mention in the description so I they might sell the plug I need. I cant believe this is the only company which makes harnesses for this car. I thought I was going to have the hack into the factory wiring harness.

Would you know why there are two plugs? Is one for the stereo (speakers) and the other for the amp? I found an amp integration wiring harness so i guess I will that too?

Thanks Again

I'd minus hacking into those wires. Just find the harness and keep it clean....unless you're planning on making that a competition system.

Yeah I really don’t want to hack into the factory harness so Ill go to some local stereo shops and see if they might have this 92 and up Lexus wiring harness if not Ill just order that one on ebay. Thanks for the help guys.

I went to a stereo shop today and the guy said the only way to install an aftermarket stereo on these cars is to cut the factory harness and hard wire everything. He said I would have to run all new speaker wires from the amp (in the trunk) to the front of the car where the harness is. I dont know what to do they said $250 (negotiable) to install this head unit. Does this sound right? The is my winter car so i wanted to spend the least amount of cash by doing all the labor myself. I’ve installed several different stereos and tv's in cars and I don’t see why this one is so difficult.

For some reason my blinkers don’t work now with the radio out of the car. Im hoping this harness on ebay will include the connections for the blinkers as well.

Has anyone here actually done this to a GS300 so they could give me an idea of what to do. Any ideas are well appreciated.

I went to a stereo shop today and the guy said the only way to install an aftermarket stereo on these cars is to cut the factory harness and hard wire everything. He said I would have to run all new speaker wires from the amp (in the trunk) to the front of the car where the harness is. I dont know what to do they said $250 (negotiable) to install this head unit. Does this sound right? The is my winter car so i wanted to spend the least amount of cash by doing all the labor myself. I’ve installed several different stereos and tv's in cars and I don’t see why this one is so difficult.

For some reason my blinkers don’t work now with the radio out of the car. Im hoping this harness on ebay will include the connections for the blinkers as well.

Has anyone here actually done this to a GS300 so they could give me an idea of what to do. Any ideas are well appreciated.

I hope you find out how to do this. I too have a 1993 Lexus GS 300 that I wish to change the headunit in. I'm researching and checking all of the resources around here for any info. Good luck, and keep us all posted. Also e-mail me with anything that you find.... terrifik1@hotmail.com

Thanks.

I just ordered a harness and amp integration harness and should get it on Friday. Ill let you guys you know how the install goes.

Good luck, Guy. Hope everything turns out great, I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes on this post.

Terrifik1

Today is the day. I was checking to see how's it going. Hope to hear an update on ya soon.

Terrifik1

I tried installing it today with no luck. On that harness wires dont match up and even with my DVOM couldn’t figure out which are the 12v leads. For some reason there is a 12v source on the harness connection that’s not being used. I got install quotes from $110 to $250 just to install this thing. This is just my winter car and wanted to spend the least amount of money possibly. It needs alot of work but I could do all the labor myself. This is my only obstacle. I have everything else but just need some help on the wiring. Im going to circuit city in the morning for them to install it. I hope they could because he said there are 3 wires which should be the ground and 12v sources but with the DVOM they are getting no voltage with the car on. Im really at a loss here. I dont want them to work on it and have to pay them if they cant get it working properly. Im just so frustrated I tried all morning and am nowhere. He says they were going to bypass the factory amp and wire it up that way. Well ill update you guys tomorrow when I know whats going on. Why do jap cars have to be such a !Removed! to work on? Why would Toyota make it so difficult to add an aftermarket stereo or why are there no aftermarket harness that work properly? Now i know why i like domestics so much better.

Sorry to hear the BAD news. I need some info from you. What harness and where did you order it from? And also a brief description of your wiring verses the harness that you ordered. I still researching and trying to piece this thing together.

Terrifik1

Sorry to hear the BAD news. I need some info from you. What harness and where did you order it from? And also a brief description of your wiring verses the harness that you ordered. I still researching and trying to piece this thing together.

Terrifik1

Hey there,

I got the stereo installed at Circuit City and they did a very good job. It cost $125 with tax just for the install. I had the faceplate (black housing). What they did is run speaker wire from the amp in the trunk to the headunit in the front. The only problem is the sub in the center (rear) of the car doesnt work anymore. He said no matter what you cant get it to work with the aftermarket stereo without another amp. If you still want to do the install i could take pictures of the wires and post them or e-mail them to you. Looking at the wires it should be easy to figure out how to install it. They didn’t hack into the factory harness in the front of the car so if I ever decide to sell it and put the stock stereo back in I could. Im waiting for a marble wood dash kit since the wood trim was all cracked. When its all done Ill post the final pics.

I order the harnesses and factory integration kit from www.sounddomain.com. The company that makes the harnesses are: Peripheral. I made sure I could return them if they didnt work so i have to do that now.

-John

Thanks in advance

John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=120068708494

I am going to order one of those ebay ones...are they no good?

Terrifik1

Hey there,

I got the stereo installed at Circuit City and they did a very good job. It cost $125 with tax just for the install. I had the faceplate (black housing). What they did is run speaker wire from the amp in the trunk to the headunit in the front. The only problem is the sub in the center (rear) of the car doesnt work anymore. He said no matter what you cant get it to work with the aftermarket stereo without another amp. If you still want to do the install i could take pictures of the wires and post them or e-mail them to you. Looking at the wires it should be easy to figure out how to install it. They didn’t hack into the factory harness in the front of the car so if I ever decide to sell it and put the stock stereo back in I could. Im waiting for a marble wood dash kit since the wood trim was all cracked. When its all done Ill post the final pics.

I order the harnesses and factory integration kit from www.sounddomain.com. The company that makes the harnesses are: Peripheral. I made sure I could return them if they didnt work so i have to do that now.

-John

Yes, I would love to see pics. And I would love to see all of the wiring.

I too will probably let Circuit City install mine but once I see your info I will decide

if I'm going totry it myself./

Thanks for all your help.

P. S. the e=mail is terrifik1@hotmail.com

I am going to order one of those ebay ones...are they no good?

If I were you I would give that one a try. I was going to order that one as well but wanted to get this done over the weekend. I also am taking the engine and trans out of my other car so didnt want to spend that much time on this one. If you do buy this harness would you let me know if it works just for my own knowledge and if anyone else ever wants to try installing a cd player in their car. Its crazy that all new wires must be ran so if this works I bet alot more people would be trying this install.

Yes, I would love to see pics. And I would love to see all of the wiring.

I too will probably let Circuit City install mine but once I see your info I will decide

if I'm going totry it myself./

Thanks for all your help.

P. S. the e=mail is terrifik1@hotmail.com

Terrifik1 i'll try and take those pics tomorrow im off from work and school.

• 1 month later...

Terrifik1

Hey there,

-John

[Hey there,

-John

Hello John

I have the same problem with the wiring. Is their anyway you can send me a picture of the wiring at Beenieman_2006@yahoo.com. Thanks

Hello John

I have the same problem. Is their anyway you can e-mail me a picture of the wiring at Beenieman_2006@yahoo.com. Thinks alot

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am very interested in seeing pics and getting as much info on this topic as possible. I want to begin the install but I am a little afraid. I read that someone would post pics but I don't see any. Please help!!

I have the same problem. Is their anyway you can e-mail me a picture of the wiring at greaper0592@yahoo.com

Wiring is not something you want to do without completely detailed instructions.

My first attempt at installing a headunit in my car failed miserably with a $500 trip to the Lexus dealer for something that I messed up.

Do this at your own risk... or you could take your car into a stereo shop, pay 150-200 bucks, and let them assume full responsibility for any damages done to your car.

• 1 month later...

i'm a little confused,

i read through this post and i'm trying to find a way to install an aftermarket head unit (specifically a SONY CDX-800) in a 95 gs3 but when installing a head unit at circuit city or anywhere else, why does the amp need to get wires run to the front? and why can't the sub or the cd changer be used anymore? doesn't the head unit have its own internal amp? couldnt the head unit get wired to the front speakers and the rear speakers and sub get wired to the factory amp? i don't care so much about the cd changer, but the stock sub is a nice thing to have and it would suck to just bypass it and leave it there...

also, i wanted to change the speakers on the Gs, but i heard that the impedances are not standard and that each speaker has high and low pass wires...that makes the install very confusing. anyone know how to go about this properly?