Considering Gx470..any Advice Appreciated...

MCF34

I am considering a GX470, unfortunately, I can not afford to get a new 2007 (~$50k +TTL - someone please correct me if I am wrong).

I would like to get a 2006 or 2005 with ~25K miles or less for around $38K or less....is this possible? Also, I know there are very few changes from 2006 to 2007 model year, but what about from 2005 to 2006 - any significant changes to be aware of (even though HP and Torque ratings are lower for 2007, I know the engine, etc. and performance are identical between the two)?

For considering a Lexus GX470, are there any options you would consider a 'must have' (I can live without rear entertainment and navigation system)? Many thanks!!

Laslty, are all GX470's from 2005 and newer all time 4 wd? Thanks again.

I am considering a GX470, unfortunately, I can not afford to get a new 2007 (~$50k +TTL - someone please correct me if I am wrong).

I would like to get a 2006 or 2005 with ~25K miles or less for around $38K or less....is this possible? Also, I know there are very few changes from 2006 to 2007 model year, but what about from 2005 to 2006 - any significant changes to be aware of (even though HP and Torque ratings are lower for 2007, I know the engine, etc. and performance are identical between the two)?

For considering a Lexus GX470, are there any options you would consider a 'must have' (I can live without rear entertainment and navigation system)? Many thanks!!

First off, Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Unfortunately there isn't a GX available at $38k or less, that's an 06 or 05 with less than 25k miles. The 03s that have about 40-55k miles are going at around $35k-42k as I have noticed at the dealer. :wacko:

Secondly, the "must have" options really depend on you. If your a person who constantly need maps (realtor, delivery guy, etc.) Nav would be a nice option. Many here don't have a need for a third seat but only get it because you have to get it to get other options. So options depend on what you need. Now if you're considering a 2nd hand, you really don't have much of a choice as price, condition, and mileage are your top priority in choosing a 2nd hand. :geek:

And lastly, ALL GX470s are full-time 4wd, ever since Day 1 of production. ;)

MCF34,

I agree with denslexusgx470.

I paid $34,500.- + tax for 2003 GX470 with 51,500 mi, navigation and DVD loaded. This is Lexus CPO. I purchased it on 9/9/06 and now

59,500mi, perfect condition! Just for your refernce...

Thanks for the info.....I am being quoted around $44K for an '06 with back seat entertainment package and 13K miles - certified used. From what you all have said, doubt they would come down to around $40K. Another thing is I am 6'5" so the GX is borderline on size wise....no one can really sit behind me if I am in a front seat......man, the Lexus really do hold their value...new for $50K, a couple years old still for $40K....

Food for thought. A 2006 LS430, loaded at around $74 or $75k is now used at my dealer for $61k and it only has 10,000 miles. It's really hard to see under $40k for these kind of vehicles unless it's been badly beaten up or high mileage.

But the Pionneer standard system is good enough also. Lexus doesn't put cheap crap on their vehicles, even the cheapest vehicles. My RX300 could have possibly been the CHEAPEST Lexus back in 2000 and the stereo system was far better than any upgraded system in, let's say a Toyota or Honda. The Mark Levinson, IMO, is better in fine sounds in treble. The bass is about the same for the two. I don't know how much difference 3 more speakers in the Mark Levinson would make compared to the Pioneer but after hearing the two, you can't go wrong with either one. So if you end up with a GX w/o Nav/ML it's still going to be a good car experience.

Think of it like you're trying to buy a new plasma TV. Yes when you're at the store, the bigger, more expensive ones sound and "look" better when it comes to picture quality but when you buy a plasma that's about the middle price range, you won't notice the difference from the more expensive ones to yours when you take it home and enjoy it, now would you? ;)

But the Pionneer standard system is good enough also. Lexus doesn't put cheap crap on their vehicles, even the cheapest vehicles. My RX300 could have possibly been the CHEAPEST Lexus back in 2000 and the stereo system was far better than any upgraded system in, let's say a Toyota or Honda. The Mark Levinson, IMO, is better in fine sounds in treble. The bass is about the same for the two. I don't know how much difference 3 more speakers in the Mark Levinson would make compared to the Pioneer but after hearing the two, you can't go wrong with either one. So if you end up with a GX w/o Nav/ML it's still going to be a good car experience.

Think of it like you're trying to buy a new plasma TV. Yes when you're at the store, the bigger, more expensive ones sound and "look" better when it comes to picture quality but when you buy a plasma that's about the middle price range, you won't notice the difference from the more expensive ones to yours when you take it home and enjoy it, now would you? ;)

I'm just going to have to drive a couple more to determine if the size is a factor...if the GX was an 1" longer and an 1" wider, I would physically be much more comfortable and paying $40K for it would be a no brainer, but for the same price (~$40K) I can get...oh boy, don't ban me please...a fully decked 2007 Tahoe with Navigation, rear enterainment, second row bucket seats and 3rd row 50/50 seats...yes, I KNOW the quality is not the same and in 5 years, the Lexus is probably going to be worth 50% more than the Tahoe, but being 34 and about to start a family I need all the room I can get....also, as I said before, being 6'5" pretty much eliminates the seat behind me except for a child. Of course, after looking at the Lexus and sitting in the Tahoe, my wife asked, "are there different quality leather to choose from"?....I may be in trouble..hehehe...

Also, how close could you expect to get to Invoice on a new 2007? Per Edmunds, a 'base' model with a very few select options invoice is $42,900. How close could you expect to get to this if you find one on the lot? I am not sure I could justify getting an '04 or '05 with 25K miles for $45K if I could get a new one with fewer option for the same price. Any thoughts??

Welcome,

Try carsdirect.com. That is a good site for used cars as well as new. Good Luck

For your reference, I just purchased GX last week with 12k miles for $41.5 + tax. It has every option (KDSS, Nav, REAS, backup camera, 3rd row etc). The cool thing is I was looking for KDSS with tan interior and could able to get it.

Moreover, if I am looking for a used one, I would look for a one which is privately owned and not a leased one. That info can be found on carfax or autocheck. Hope this help........

Edit : Forgot to mention year : 2005.

MCF34

It is ok to decide if headroom is inefficient for your needs. You're 6'1" and I'm 6 ft but to my personal settings, I feel that the GX has enough headroom. Try my 4Runner, oh boy, and you would never even think of getting one with a moonroof. lol.

I see where you're coming from. If you are decided that the GX is the one for you, I would personally pick a new car over a used one. Yes you obviously sacrifice some nice extra features but at least you are satisfied and have a clean mind that you, and only YOU used the vehicle.

Shine a little light here? Back before I bought my GX, I was deciding between my GX and a 2000 LX470. It was really nice, well taken cared of, but I think it had like 40k miles on it. The price was the same as my GX, but I would have gotten more room, and a bigger more expensive vehicle to drive around. I went for the GX. I know it's brand new, and if anyone ever knows me, I'm really picky about the smallest detail when it comes to my automobiles. Heck, I could also have gotten a used GX with 2k miles on it, same price as mine, but with Nav, 3rd seat, and Lexus Link. I was very close to picking that but a few things made me pick my current basic GX.

1. Brand new. No splashes or mud on the undercarriage.

2. Color, the used was black and I wanted a light color.

3. Tires were crap on the used. It had the cheap Dunlops on it, while my GX has the Michelins.

Sometimes it's really hard to decided. I had a hard time deciding on my 4Runner also. It was Saturday morning, we were decided to get a 4Runner that day. We've been fighting over which 2 units we would pick. Candidates were

1. Silver w/Stone (light gray) interior, fresh from the truck w/3 miles on odo

2. White w/Taupe Interior, dealer swap and has 192 miles on it.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=30398

That was a really hard choice to make. Two exact vehicles with the same options, but different situations. Mileage, color, name it. This is one thing I find difficult if i buy a slightly used vehicle. The color choice will never be met just to save a little money. ;)

MCF34

It is ok to decide if headroom is inefficient for your needs. You're 6'1" and I'm 6 ft but to my personal settings, I feel that the GX has enough headroom. Try my 4Runner, oh boy, and you would never even think of getting one with a moonroof. lol.

I see where you're coming from. If you are decided that the GX is the one for you, I would personally pick a new car over a used one. Yes you obviously sacrifice some nice extra features but at least you are satisfied and have a clean mind that you, and only YOU used the vehicle.

Shine a little light here? Back before I bought my GX, I was deciding between my GX and a 2000 LX470. It was really nice, well taken cared of, but I think it had like 40k miles on it. The price was the same as my GX, but I would have gotten more room, and a bigger more expensive vehicle to drive around. I went for the GX. I know it's brand new, and if anyone ever knows me, I'm really picky about the smallest detail when it comes to my automobiles. Heck, I could also have gotten a used GX with 2k miles on it, same price as mine, but with Nav, 3rd seat, and Lexus Link. I was very close to picking that but a few things made me pick my current basic GX.

1. Brand new. No splashes or mud on the undercarriage.

2. Color, the used was black and I wanted a light color.

3. Tires were crap on the used. It had the cheap Dunlops on it, while my GX has the Michelins.

Sometimes it's really hard to decided. I had a hard time deciding on my 4Runner also. It was Saturday morning, we were decided to get a 4Runner that day. We've been fighting over which 2 units we would pick. Candidates were

1. Silver w/Stone (light gray) interior, fresh from the truck w/3 miles on odo

2. White w/Taupe Interior, dealer swap and has 192 miles on it.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=30398

That was a really hard choice to make. Two exact vehicles with the same options, but different situations. Mileage, color, name it. This is one thing I find difficult if i buy a slightly used vehicle. The color choice will never be met just to save a little money. ;)

Thanks for all the information. I actually drove an RX350 yesterday and for some reason, I actually felt more comfortable in it..... I also like the fact that the RX is two wheel drive. In Houston, no need for full time four wheel drive and with the price of high octane gas is a deciding factor. Lastly, does the way the back on the GX470 bother anyone else?? Why did Lexus make the RX and LX open the 'correct' way and made the GX open the way it does? It just seems inconvenient to not be able to open the back if you have your garage door down or if you parallel park and someone is parked such that you can't open the rear...just seems like a mistake to me but maybe someone convince me otherwise....btw, a local dealer has a brand new 2006 GX470 on the lot he is willing to sell for $44K...

Good question. Many have disliked the GX's rear door. Personally I have actually come to like it. Why? My 4Runner has a lift back rear door, and since it's taller than my odyssey, it actually hits the frame of my garage door, which can cause future dings and scratches. Unlike my GX, swinging out isn't a pain. I havent really owned a car that you can open the rear trunk w/o having to open the garage door, personally.

The LX is different from the RX though. Some people, especially short people, hate the way the LX's rear door opens. It splits in half, meaning top half goes up, bottom half goes down. Now doesn't that make it harder to reach something inside if the bottom half is down? If you have the bottom half close, it's still hard to reach in. The RX is the best candidate if you really want that kind of door. Personally I like the side openning door.

;)