Is This Board Dying Out?!?

92Lex

I haven't been active on this board for awhile (been a bimmer !Removed!). Haha. But yeah, it seems like there are only a couple of new posts every day. Either that or I'm just used to seeing new posts every 10 mins on the bimmer forums...excuse my foul language :P . But yeah, cmon now guys. Talk about anything....even fog light mods!! It'd be nice to have a "community".

If things keep goin' this way then there wouldn't be a "LOC" in the future. Support this forum and keep it goin' for everyone here. It doesn't always have to be about a "problem/warranty" issue. Let's have some fun now. I'll show ya'll how to de-chrome your trim? Have anything for me?

Psshhh....no, I'm not drunk.

Bimmer forums are more active because BMWs break down more often and/or because there are a lot of high school kids burining through their parents money modding their 3 series.

That is, after all, why most people come to the forums - for a problem fix or to ask whether their 19's will clear with a 2" drop.

Since Lexus cars are so damn reliable and most owners aren't out there adding the latest chrome accessory to their interior it can sometimes make for a less active forum.

I personally haven't posted here in quite some time. I've been too busy moving, renovating, and dealing w/ work that I haven't had the time to post.

Actually it seems that BMW's encounter the same problems that most of these Lexus vehicle's do. The amount of posts regarding issue's with maintenance/break downs are no more than this board.

I've owned 3 Lexus' in the past and honestly, I can't say any of them were any more reliable than my straight 6 BMW.

As for highschool kids burning their parents money. The same can be said about IS300 owners.

Normal time of year where most people have other thing to do with there time including myself who has not been on in over a week for the Christmas festivities and what not.

Merry Christmas

i am not politically correct nor am i catholic i just love this time of year.

• 1 month later...

bring a old thread from the dead... i've tried comin back 2 or 3 times, but theres nothing wrong with my car to complain about on the threads, at least not before, im back from the dead to search for a new-used car my ls sadly seems like its reaching its last stretch... which should still be a good 5 years

I haven't been active on this board for awhile (been a bimmer !Removed!). Haha. But yeah, it seems like there are only a couple of new posts every day. Either that or I'm just used to seeing new posts every 10 mins on the bimmer forums...excuse my foul language :P . But yeah, cmon now guys. Talk about anything....even fog light mods!! It'd be nice to have a "community".

If things keep goin' this way then there wouldn't be a "LOC" in the future. Support this forum and keep it goin' for everyone here. It doesn't always have to be about a "problem/warranty" issue. Let's have some fun now. I'll show ya'll how to de-chrome your trim? Have anything for me?

Ok, I had tinted windows when I purchased my LS. I took off the tint and removed the sticky film with a razor blade. However, the rear window has those defroster lines on them. How do I de-stickdefy or de-film the rear window without using a razor blade which will scratch off the def lines.

Normal time of year where most people have other thing to do with there time including myself who has not been on in over a week for the Christmas festivities and what not.

Merry Christmas

i am not politically correct nor am i catholic i just love this time of year.

Sk, I love your rims. If you don't mind me asking, where can I score some and how much is the set-back?

I sure hope it's not dying out! 331 views and ONLY 8 replies makes you wonder though.....I log onto this site just about every night wondering who posted what. Let's ALL do our part to keep this site thriving with interest!!!

Ok, I had tinted windows when I purchased my LS. I took off the tint and removed the sticky film with a razor blade. However, the rear window has those defroster lines on them. How do I de-stickdefy or de-film the rear window without using a razor blade which will scratch off the def lines.

I have the same question. I bought the car with this blueish tint on it and wanted to put black on. The tint is like 13 years old and it has two layers. The drivers window has two layers of film and the rear window is completely covered in bubbles and the rest of the windows began to peel. I want to put either 35 or 20% all around (except windshield) but i need to remove the old first. Anyone know how to remove old tint? Do you need to use a heat gun?

What do you expect when your a ( bimmer !Removed! ) :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe it's your senses that are drying up ?????????????

Any more time on the word association post and I am sure these boards will be in the top 3 ( I should talk :blink: )

I have the same question. I bought the car with this blueish tint on it and wanted to put black on. The tint is like 13 years old and it has two layers. The drivers window has two layers of film and the rear window is completely covered in bubbles and the rest of the windows began to peel. I want to put either 35 or 20% all around (except windshield) but i need to remove the old first. Anyone know how to remove old tint? Do you need to use a heat gun?

I read somewhere that for removing tint from the rear window, you should spray the film with a solution of household ammonia and water (not sure what the ratio was) and then cover the whole inside of the window with a black plastic garbage bag (one of the huge ones that is cut open) and leave the car out in the sun on a hot day for the whole day. Apparently, the ammonia will begin to loosen the tint so it can be peeled off, but if I remember correctly, it is still a PITA to get off completely. My worry with doing that would be getting ammonia on the leather and other parts of the interior. You are supposed to close up the car and let it "steam" in the sun like an oven. Wouldn't the ammonia vapours get into everything inside the car? Not at all sure I like that idea, which is probably why I haven't tried it myself.

I want to have my rear window retinted as it is old and has turned a nasty shade of purple from fading. I'm wondering if it's possible (advisable?) to just have a shop retint right over the old tint. The old tint is in good shape, other than the aforementioned fading. There are no bubbles in it and it isn't peeling. Wouldn't the new tint just adhere itself to the old stuff and look ok?

Untrue about the BMW boards being active because of problems and kids only, I used to have a 1998 5-series and that board was extremely active because BMWs have a lot more enthusiasts owning them. LSs are generally owned by people who drive them as appliances, and not many enthusiasts own LSs.

BTW the last-gen 5-series was pretty darn reliable, at least for a Euro sedan. Only a handful of recurring problems, but of course still no comparison to an LS.

Speaking of, I came to the board here today to post about a brake job I just did on my 2002 LS430. While a lot of BMW owners work on their own cars, I doubt many LS owners do especially owners of late model LSs.

Untrue about the BMW boards being active because of problems and kids only, I used to have a 1998 5-series and that board was extremely active because BMWs have a lot more enthusiasts owning them. LSs are generally owned by people who drive them as appliances, and not many enthusiasts own LSs.

BTW the last-gen 5-series was pretty darn reliable, at least for a Euro sedan. Only a handful of recurring problems, but of course still no comparison to an LS.

Speaking of, I came to the board here today to post about a brake job I just did on my 2002 LS430. While a lot of BMW owners work on their own cars, I doubt many LS owners do especially owners of late model LSs.

You have to admit any year lex is more accesable to work on under the shade tree........... :cheers:

You have to admit any year lex is more accesable to work on under the shade tree........... :cheers:

I disagree, my 1998 528i was in many ways easier to work on than my 2002 LS430. Plus, since so many more BMW owners work on their own cars than Lexus owners do, there's a lot more free knowledge about BMWs to be found on the Internet. There are countless how-tos about repairing late model 5-series BMWs but precious few about late model LS430s.

You have to admit any year lex is more accesable to work on under the shade tree...........:cheers:

I disagree, my 1998 528i was in many ways easier to work on than my 2002 LS430. Plus, since so many more BMW owners work on their own cars than Lexus owners do, there's a lot more free knowledge about BMWs to be found on the Internet. There are countless how-tos about repairing late model 5-series BMWs but precious few about late model LS430s.

EEEHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! You must still be a hard riving bimmer owner ???

This board is a lot more active than I thought. I guess it didn't seem too alive because I posted during the holiday months.

A BMW is a vehicle that everyone should get to experience owning and driving.

I have owned them, driven them, and repaired them a LOT.

Tom

EEEHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! You must still be a hard riving bimmer owner ???

No, although I've been toying with the idea of getting a few year old used M3 convertible. Right now I only have the LS430 which is a great car.

I'm not trying to start a spitting contest about Lexus vs. Anyothercar, but I can tell you a BMW is a bit easier to work on for a "shadetree" mechanic.

But speaking of Lexus vs. BMW, if I could dream up a perfect car in my mind and make it a reality, it'd be something of a cross between a BMW and a Lexus using the best aspects of each.

Why does everyone think that bimmer's break down all the time? BMW's are actually very reliable cars....I've been through both. I just think that all this talk about bimmers being unreliable is rediculous....stop spreading rumors. Lexus' and bimmer's share similar problems. I used to be an auto technician and honestly, I've worked on more Lexus' than BMW's.

Why does everyone think that bimmer's break down all the time? BMW's are actually very reliable cars....I've been through both. I just think that all this talk about bimmers being unreliable is rediculous....stop spreading rumors. Lexus' and bimmer's share similar problems. I used to be an auto technician and honestly, I've worked on more Lexus' than BMW's.

Why did this turn into a Lexus vs BMW post? I love BMWs. I was looking at '95-01 BMW 740iLs and 540is as well as Lexus LS400s when I ended up with my '96 LS.

BMWs have problems? Well, Lexi have problems too. And a lot of the same problems that will happen with ANY car because of miles and age. People talk about BMW electrical issues? How about those 1st gen LS gauges? Or those climate control/stereo LCD screens?

BMW suspension issues? How about all of those issues with the LS suspension, PLUS the RIDICULOUS prices to simply buy the parts?

BMW engine issues? Not many. BMW transmission issues? Not many.

BMWs are awesome cars. I grew up with one, and I could have very easily ended up with one instead of my Lexus.

Why did this turn into a Lexus vs BMW post? I love BMWs. I was looking at '95-01 BMW 740iLs and 540is as well as Lexus LS400s when I ended up with my '96 LS.

BMWs have problems? Well, Lexi have problems too. And a lot of the same problems that will happen with ANY car because of miles and age. People talk about BMW electrical issues? How about those 1st gen LS gauges? Or those climate control/stereo LCD screens?

BMW suspension issues? How about all of those issues with the LS suspension, PLUS the RIDICULOUS prices to simply buy the parts?

BMW engine issues? Not many. BMW transmission issues? Not many.

BMWs are awesome cars. I grew up with one, and I could have very easily ended up with one instead of my Lexus.

Right on!! :cheers:

This reminds me of the old slogan about boats..... The best boat is your buddy's boat... you get to enjoy it, he gets to fix it! :lol:

Actually, I think these days, except for MB, most cars are pretty darn good in general.