Is This A Problem Or Is This Normal?

philg

My wife's 98 LS400 can sometimes take up to about 5 or 6 seconds to start when it has sat out in colder weather. When the car is warm it starts right away but if it has sat over night it usually takes about 5 seconds. Is this a sign of problems with the starter or is this not anything to worry about? Sorry about all of the newbie questions but I really appreciate having this forum.

I am having a bit of a problem, I think it is with the coils. They are probably ready to be changed!. I have heard also the Fuel Filter that could be needing change. I would try both after 100,000 miles. CPR

I have a 98 LS and sometimes it takes a little bit longer in the cold......... Don't worry about it it's a LEXUS!!! It wont let you down.

My DIY skills are limited to changing the air filter and checking tire pressure. A friend of mine is the service manager at an Accura dealer so I can get a discount on the labor and bring in my own parts. Keep in mind the car has had full factory recommended maintenance for the first 105k miles of its life. The previous owner probably did not do the full recommended service at 110k, 115k, 120k and 125k but used the car as a commuter on a 110 mile daily round trip and only had it for 7 months. I would like to do the minimal diligent maintenance to keep the car running well for the next 3 years and 50k to 60k miles and will likely sell it right around the 180k mile major service. So the basic recommendation is to get some Toyota type IV ATF fluid, a new fuel filter, and people are split 50/50 on doing the plugs. If I do decide to do the plugs is it also necessary to change the plug wires as these add a lot to the cost. I am guessing that the fuel filter is about $20 to $50 for the part, plus about $10 for the ATF fluid, and the plugs are about $6 a piece or another $50. That would take the total part cost to about $80 to $120 without the plug wires and about twice that with the plug wires, plus labor which I should be able to get for another $100 or so.

Your car shouldn't have wires. It should sport the coil on plug system (1 ignition coil per spark plug).

How difficult would it be to change the plugs myself? How much of a chance of !Removed! things up exists for someone doing this for the first time, and what tools would be required?

Not very difficult but I suggest that you purchase some sort of repair manual for your car. That way you can take on future maintenance issue's and save yourself some money down the line.

I'd explain it to you but it's just going to get confusing without pictures. Maybe someone on this board has a tutorial??