Es300 Gas Gauge

mrjdj3

Greetings,

Recently purchased a '92 with 85K miles. Everything is great with the exception of the Tach needle light being out (flickers occasionally). The last time I filled up the gas gauge only returned to register just above 1/4 tank. As I drove the needle never moved until it actually reached that level then proceeded to move normally. Now, I don't really need to know if my tank is full just when it's nearing empty, but it is one of those things that is "huh?". Anybody out there have any clues. Thanks

Yup. Make sure the needle isn't sticking!

Thanks, I appreciate the help. How do I go about checking the needle to see if it is sticking?

There are 2 screw cover tabs on the top of the inside of the cluster trim, Remove the covers and remove the 2 screws, Then pull the trim piece straight out ( there is 1 wire connector to disconnect. At this point you should be able to see the 4 screws that hold the clear plastic cover, Remove them and with a pen or similar instrument lightly push the needle to the top and let it float back down ( do this while the car is off and the tank full ) Now start the car and see if it goes to the top by itself. Be careful in there.............

You owe me a beer :cheers:

When I took my instrument cluster out to fix my burnt out needles, I noticed that there were two very small black plastic pins that keep the temperature needle and fuel gauge needle from travelling too far up or down on the gauge. On my temp gauge, one of these tiny pins was broken at the base, which allowed it to possibly block free movement of the needle. I used some crazy glue to glue it back into place. These pins are hard to see through the smoked plastic cluster face, but maybe one of yours has broken loose and is keeping your fuel gauge needle from going any further than the 1/4 full mark. Try using a flashlight and aim the light at your fuel gauge through the smoked window. You might be able to tell (without dissassembling everything) if this is your problem.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. Make sure the needle isn't sticking!

Thanks, I appreciate the help. How do I go about checking the needle to see if it is sticking?

There are 2 screw cover tabs on the top of the inside of the cluster trim, Remove the covers and remove the 2 screws, Then pull the trim piece straight out ( there is 1 wire connector to disconnect. At this point you should be able to see the 4 screws that hold the clear plastic cover, Remove them and with a pen or similar instrument lightly push the needle to the top and let it float back down ( do this while the car is off and the tank full ) Now start the car and see if it goes to the top by itself. Be careful in there.............

You owe me a beer :cheers:

would that process work for a 94 as well?