Considering Buying An Es300 - What Do I Look Out For?

The Josh

Hey all. Brand new to the board.

I am seriously looking into buying an ES300, probably a 2000 or 2001. What are some of the problem areas that I need to be aware of?

Also, do these cars require engine timing belt changes? If so, at how many miles (so I can make sure it has been done, if necessary)?

Thanks in advance,

The JOSH

Hey all. Brand new to the board.

I am seriously looking into buying an ES300, probably a 2000 or 2001. What are some of the problem areas that I need to be aware of?

Also, do these cars require engine timing belt changes? If so, at how many miles (so I can make sure it has been done, if necessary)?

Thanks in advance,

The JOSH

The Josh, You would do yourself a great service by browsing the es threads. There is a ton and a half of info on these cars here. After you search around come back with specific questions and we'll be happy to help you out.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

OK, here are some specific questions:

1) I am entertaining the idea of buying a car with 100k miles on it. Is there a way to tell if the timing belt has been changed already? If not, how critical is it that it be changed right away?

2) Many people do not change the transmission fluid in their cars. What is the risk of changing the fluid(s) on a 100k mile car? I have heard horror stories from people (Not Lexus owners though) about changing fluids in a high mileage car and then having lots of trouble.

3) Sludge - if the car has 100k miles on it, probably gonna hve sludge. How do you get rid of the sludge without destroying the engine?

Thanks,

The Josh

Honestly, it's hard to say what it's worth. It depends on the market. Used ES's are more expensive around my area (Minneapolis) but I know that I saved about $2,000 in getting my '97 from Florida. I would suggest searching local websites (cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.) to see what the average ES is selling for in your area.

As with any car, you will likely incur more repair costs as you get higher up in mileage but a lot really depends on how well the car was maintained. See if the seller has records, especially for oil changes. The infamous issue with this generation of ES has been the oil gelling problem. If you want to read up on it, I would suggest searching these forums. They are a treasure trove of information.