Rx330 Oil Change

greekgod

Called up Don Valley North lexus in Markham Ont and was told they want $198 starting for my first maintenance change have a 05' with 18k on it. I have read from others on this board that I should call Toyota which I did but was told by 2 different dealers they dont service Lexus. Anyone is the Toronto area with any info send me a PM $200 for an oil change common on.

Tell them to put there Crack pipe down!

Do it yourself if you can--its easy and cost a fraction of that. The car doesnt need anything else done to it! Mine RX sees the shop when its broke and thats not alot

Guess I will go to Canadian Tire and get the oil and filter myself should I just get any type of 5w30 synthetic oil?

I prefer Mobile 1 and Pennzoil but any synthetic should work for changes between 5k and 7.5k miles.

A quick word of advice on oil filters. Stay away from FRAM. There have been a number of issues with clogging and check valves not working properly.

:o

Re oil changes;has anyone used swepco #360 oil-the person who does my work highly recommends it.The main draw is 40 to 50,000 miles between drains after two initial drains at 2000 miles to clean the motor out!

Have you read the threads on engine oil sludge? I can't imagine running 40,000 miles between oil changes :o . I would imagine that if there was an oil product that would allow us to run these type of oil change intervals then the manufacturers would jump on that as a marketing item. The fact that ALL auto manufacturers recommend more "normal" oil changes.

Imho and less than professional opinion, most of these products fall under the category of snake oil. I just went to their website (by the way, the oil you reference is 306), http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/oil.htm

and they say that their main customers are Detroit Diesel engines, over the road trucking, stationary engines, and heavy equipment. In addition, they claim up to 100,000 miles between drain intervals. Perhaps they are able to do this because of the huge crankcase capacities of these engines? I don't have a degree in petroleum engineering but I wouldn't consider this for your auto.

Gary

Have you read the threads on engine oil sludge? I can't imagine running 40,000 miles between oil changes :o . I would imagine that if there was an oil product that would allow us to run these type of oil change intervals then the manufacturers would jump on that as a marketing item. The fact that ALL auto manufacturers recommend more "normal" oil changes.

My BMW's go 12-15K on BMW Synthetic oil - standard recommendation from BMW.

I've leased 13 BMW's before leasing this Rx330. With BMW, full maintainance was always included in the car price for the duration of the lease or at least until the mfr warranty expired. I had the first oil change and the 15k checkup at 16k on my rx330. I can honestly tell you that I have no desire to do timely oil changes or any maintanance on this RX330 unless the wheels fall off. I'll be returning it to Lexus in another 22 months. Why should I bother paying for excessive maintainance costs? It's not my car. If Lexus doesn't care if its maintained, neither do I.

It will defintely meet the minimum turn in requirements - they are very lax - and I won't have spent any additional dollars on keeping a car nicer when I won't benefit from it. If I bought the car instead of leasing, then I'd invest in better maintainance. No incentive on this for a lease. Besides, this model definitely has its issues -- two more years will have more better options for my next lease.

Dealers and manufactures who wish to have decent pre-owned verhicles in their 'make' will include maintainance programs.

:P

Called up Don Valley North lexus in Markham Ont and was told they want $198 starting for my first maintenance change have a 05' with 18k on it. I have read from others on this board that I should call Toyota which I did but was told by 2 different dealers they dont service Lexus. Anyone is the Toronto area with any info send me a PM $200 for an oil change common on.

:) Change it yourself and hang on to the slips for the oil and filter in case you need them for warrentee. :) Sure isn't rocket science lol.

My BMW's go 12-15K on BMW Synthetic oil - standard recommendation from BMW.

I've leased 13 BMW's before leasing this Rx330. With BMW, full maintainance was always included in the car price for the duration of the lease or at least until the mfr warranty expired. I had the first oil change and the 15k checkup at 16k on my rx330. I can honestly tell you that I have no desire to do timely oil changes or any maintanance on this RX330 unless the wheels fall off. I'll be returning it to Lexus in another 22 months. Why should I bother paying for excessive maintainance costs? It's not my car. If Lexus doesn't care if its maintained, neither do I.

It will defintely meet the minimum turn in requirements - they are very lax - and I won't have spent any additional dollars on keeping a car nicer when I won't benefit from it. If I bought the car instead of leasing, then I'd invest in better maintainance. No incentive on this for a lease. Besides, this model definitely has its issues -- two more years will have more better options for my next lease.

Dealers and manufactures who wish to have decent pre-owned verhicles in their 'make' will include maintainance programs.

BMW - yes; Lexus - probably no! I know very little about BMWs but I don't believe that they have a history of sludge problems, do they? That is why I addressed the issue to Lexus sludge problems. In addition, don't BMW and Mercedes have an oil monitoring system that looks at the quality of the oil and how much "stuff" is suspended in solution? I have other forums where the owner of a car has his oil analysed for contaminants after every oil change. Btw, they do this on commercial and military airplanes. IIRC, it is called S.O.A.P sampling - spectrographic Oil Analysis Procedure. Don't trust my memory on that but I think they look for contaminants since those contaminants present will tell you what part of the jet engine is failing.

I am keeping my Lexus so I will do whatever I can to keep it running and looking like new.

Gary

I can honestly tell you that I have no desire to do timely oil changes or any maintanance on this RX330 unless the wheels fall off. I'll be returning it to Lexus in another 22 months. Why should I bother paying for excessive maintainance costs? It's not my car. If Lexus doesn't care if its maintained, neither do I.

Note to self: Think twice before purchasing vehicle coming off lease.

I changed my own oil, but don't know how to turn off the "Maint Req" light. The light came on right at 5,000 miles after my first (complimentary) oil change. Anyone know how to turn this light off?

reset the system by the ff procedure,

Insert the ignition key to the LOCK position with the odometer showing.

Turn the ignition key to the ON position while holding down the ODO/TRIP button at the same time.

(Make sure you don't start the vehicle, just turn the key to the "ON" position)

You need to hold down the button (ODO/TRIP) for at least 5 seconds, this cause the odometer to goes back to "000000"and the lights goes off.

(this procedure will only reset the Engine oil replacement reminder, but not the actual odometer mileage.) Hope this will help you if you haven't done it yet.

• 2 months later...

Regarding Swepco.

I have used their products for more than 15 years, and I find them to be really good. They have no "snake oil" approach, the extended intervals are a part of a full program where you do oil analysis. You send in a sample of the oil, and the lab says whether it is ok, or you have to drain it.

(Good for industrial use, or in machines where downtime or access makes it hard to stop for oil change.)

I have used Swepco oils in both my Mercedes, my LS400, many SAABs, both N/A and tuned turbos, Renault, OPEL, lawn mowers etc. I have had absolutely no oil related problems, and I would not use other brand.

(Even though I earlier could get the Mobil 1 for free, I prefer buying Swepco.) :)

Their gear oil 201 is by the way officially recommended by the US Porsche Club for the sensitive transmissions on the 911. B)

/Alexander from Sweden

Re oil changes;has anyone used swepco #360 oil-the person who does my work highly recommends it.The main draw is 40 to 50,000 miles between drains after two initial drains at 2000 miles to clean the motor out!

I have a friend here in Roseville that owns a Mercedes independent garage, He has used Swepco for at least 20 years. I have used their transmission fluid in a Dodge and a mercedes, great product, made the Dodge Caravan tranny go till 156k miles with no failure when I sold it. Swepco is an wholesale only product here, so I would go to the independent to buy it. Havent used it since I sold the Mercedes. I believe it is a very good product.